Intake
245 g. protein (247 g. target)
30.6 g. fat, inc. fish oil
26.6 g. carb, inc. veggies

Activity
upper body workout
no cardio, ran out of time

Comments
Managed to nail the macros today. It felt like an enormous amount of food.

I'm up a half pound in weight from yesterday, bringing my total for the 5 days to a whopping 1 pound, most of which is probably initial water weight. Yeah, I know that a whoosh could be around the corner, but psychologically it's still a drag. My body hates me. (Hmmm, where have I read that before?)

Mental fog still there. I didn't have a whole lot of oomph (that's a technical term) at the gym today, but I managed to keep up the intensity, just fewer reps. Will get in some cardio tomorrow.

//b. strong
Unread 01-09-2011, 04:51 AM

Day 6 (RFL)
147.5 (0.0, -1.0)

Intake
218g. protein (target 247)
29.5g. fat, inc. fish oil
33.4g. carbs, inc veggies
all vitamin supps, psyllium husks

Activity
45 min light cardio (ellipt & bike mix)

Comments
Still no change on the scale, but today I was in a better mental space about it. Patience, grasshopper, patience.

A bit short on protein, but I'm not going to beat myself up about that, either. Carbs are a smidge higher, but I also ate more broccoli and less lettuce/salad as my fibrous veggies. Fiber grams (not inc. psyllium husks) were about twice what they have been.

Today marks the half-way point of the PSMF part of the diet. As a Cat 1, I don't get free meals, but just being half way or slightly over should suffice for mental encouragement. Tomorrow is a rest day from the gym, which will also be refreshing. Not that I've been working hard at the gym, per the RFL instructions, it'll just be nice not to be there for a day. (Instead, I get to go in to the office. Whee!)

//b. strong
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:40 AM

being lazy, but have u posted your intake (specific foods) per day, i see you macros. I have finally talked my wife into doing rfl and would like her to see what some females on here are doing. thanks!
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong View Post
being lazy, but have u posted your intake (specific foods) per day, i see you macros. I have finally talked my wife into doing rfl and would like her to see what some females on here are doing. thanks!
No prob.

I haven't posted specific foods because my RFL diet isn't particularly interesting. Basically, it's chicken breasts, egg whites, cottage cheese, protein powder, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, chard, and green salad. I'd rather not eat cheese than eat fat-free cheese, but that's just the cheese snob in me.

The chicken breasts I buy are 5.5-7.0 ounces each cooked, so if I can get three per day plus an egg white omelet in the am and at least one serving of cottage cheese, I come close enough to my 250g to fill out the rest w/ only modest amounts of protein powder. As I've posted before, I'm one of those people who feels stuffed on RFL rather than hungry, and drinking some of my protein seems to help a bit.

So, a day looks like this:

Meal 1
coffee and more coffee
1 c. egg whites (I like 'em microwaved, so no extra fat)
1 c. 1% cottage cheese w/ cinnamon

Meal 2, usually around lunch
chicken breast
salad: mixed greens, green pepper, cuke, no dressing (been eating my salads "dry" for years, so no change here)
raw cauliflower
coffee or tea

Meal 3, "dinner"
chicken breast
salad as above
cauliflower, broccoli, or Swiss chard (my 8-year old will eat chard but not spinach, so it's our go-to green leafy veg)
tea

bonus meal
chicken breast & veggies if it comes before meal 3
cottage cheese + PP/H20 shake if it comes after meal 3
tea

If I need a snack -- which I typically don't -- it's always raw celery or raw cauliflower, sometimes with salsa. And, I'm drinking water throughout the day, obviously. Fish oil is spread across 3 meals, the other micronutrient supps just in the am.

I should mention that I initially started RFL with the idea of combining it with IF. That went out the window after day 1, because it was too uncomfortable to try to force down appx. 250 g. of protein an 8 hour feeding window.

Perhaps the only creativity in my RFL menu comes in seasoning the chicken. I've tried a variant of Tauren's (I believe) poached Mexican chicken but w/ the addition of a habanero pepper; a similar poached chicken using savory herbs instead of Mexican spices (i.e., nonfat chicken broth/stock, fresh rosemary, fresh oregano, a sage leaf or two, black pepper, salt, and a bay leaf); and baked "tandoori" chicken. I'll put the recipe for the latter in a different post, because I believe it's time for me to go eat again.

//b. strong,
Kim

Last edited by bstrong : 01-09-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:36 PM

You are doing really well! Hope your whoosh is just around the corner
Unread 01-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Day 7 (RFL)
145.5 lbs (-2.0, -3.0)

Intake
224 g. protein
33 g. fat, inc. fish oil
34 g. carb, inc. veggies
all vit supps

Activity
None, full rest day

Comments
I was pleased to see the drop on the scale, especially because it usually takes another day or two through my monthly cycle to get rid of the hormonally induced water retention. I also feel a bit leaner, although that may just be wishful thinking. I won't take measurements until next week.

I'm trying not to think too much about next week's refeed, but it's getting a bit more difficult the closer I get to it. The last time someone drooled over oatmeal in this house, it was a 1-year old in diapers.
Unread 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM

Yeah i figured it was pretty predictable, really no other options, just curious. she will enjoy readin your log. i actually have been rfl for years, and am the same way you are, almost not hungry most of the day. so combining it with IF works GREAT for me. i train fasted in the am and then have egg white omelette, salad, and BIG protein shake. about a 7 hr window for additional training then Large bowl of veggies and 2 more protein shakes, thats it, and i am stuffed after each "meal". but i could see your dilemma in trying to eat 250 gms of protein in a small time frame, that would be alot for me and I am 180 lbs and 30 yrs old male, each is own. so funny on your oatmeal comment, first thing i had yesterday for my refeed was 2 cups of oatmeal w/ berries and maple syrup. thanks for the info
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:56 AM

Day 8
145.0 (-0.5, -3.5)

Intake
220 g. protein
34 g. fat
33 g. carbs
all vitamin supps

Activity
2 hours downhill skiing, so not much

Comments
Fat is up a little because I had meatloaf. We prepped it without added carbs and poured off the fat/juice at the bottom of the pan, but I think the grass-fed ground beef we get in our CSA is 90/10 rather than 95/5 (it's not labeled).

Felt OK today, kind of "meh". I don't know if the lassitude was diet related, though.

I'm trying to decide if I power through 12 days of dieting, putting my tension workout on Friday evening, 5.5 g / lb carbup on Fri/Sat, and power workout on Sunday, or stick to the Thurs-Sat schedule in UD2.0. Don't suppose it matters much from a physiological standpoint, except one gives an extra day of high protein / low cal and allows Sunday to be a full rest day.

//b. strong
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM

Default benching body weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstrong View Post
Day 8
I'm trying to decide if I power through 12 days of dieting, putting my tension workout on Friday evening, 5.5 g / lb carbup on Fri/Sat, and power workout on Sunday, or stick to the Thurs-Sat schedule in UD2.0. Don't suppose it matters much from a physiological standpoint, except one gives an extra day of high protein / low cal and allows Sunday to be a full rest day.
(edit: the other allows Sunday to be a full rest day.)

Just back from today's full body workout. The three-pound loss from RFL means that I can bench more than my body weight in a full work set of 6 reps. I know it's a bit ridiculous to get excited about this -- I was only a couple of pounds away from benching body weight before, and I didn't get there by getting stronger -- but it's a psychological boost.

Not too bad for a 42-year old woman who was the last picked for every team sport, and failed every Presidential Physical Fitness and Social Torture Test in junior high through high school.

//b. strong
Unread 01-11-2011, 12:02 PM

that is awesome! Congrats! I can just about get 2/3rds of my bodyweight on bench press - I dream of getting my bodyweight one day!