BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-23-2017, 02:08 AM

To be fair, in and of itself, dropping protein to 0.8g per lbs LBM is not NECESSARILY a problem. It may be fine.

The issue here IMO is the silliness of trying to *reduce total calories* by a small cut in protein. This is not the way to fix a diet that isn't helping you lose any further fat. It won't help much.

If you're really stuck, the calories are just too high all round. You'll need to re-evaluate the diet across the board. Look at everything. It may be you're overshooting your calorie targets here and there without really realising it, or realising why.
Unread 11-23-2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
To be fair, in and of itself, dropping protein to 0.8g per lbs LBM is not NECESSARILY a problem. It may be fine.

The issue here IMO is the silliness of trying to *reduce total calories* by a small cut in protein. This is not the way to fix a diet that isn't helping you lose any further fat. It won't help much.

If you're really stuck, the calories are just too high all round. You'll need to re-evaluate the diet across the board. Look at everything. It may be you're overshooting your calorie targets here and there without really realising it, or realising why.
Although I agree that it is not necessarily a problem, it is a typical case of "better safe than sorry". You just don't know for sure until you try it, but you may not be happy with the results. Therefore, it's better to play it safe and follow the guidelines.

Also, if he's really stuck it can also mean he needs a diet break. Based on the numbers, he's getting fairly lean and might need breaks more often. Some spin their wheels much earlier than others.
Unread 11-23-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Although I agree that it is not necessarily a problem, it is a typical case of "better safe than sorry". You just don't know for sure until you try it, but you may not be happy with the results. Therefore, it's better to play it safe and follow the guidelines.

Also, if he's really stuck it can also mean he needs a diet break. Based on the numbers, he's getting fairly lean and might need breaks more often. Some spin their wheels much earlier than others.
While I agree it can often be a mixture of both, in this case, OP made his issue clear:

He's struggling to cut any further because he continuously screws up on the weekend with drinking etc. He feels confident cutting a couple more percent wouldn't be an issue if he did things properly, and he's probably right.

So here's an idea for OP: rather than cutting back on your protein intake, sort out the things you've already admitted you know you're doing wrong. Then see what happens
Unread 11-23-2017, 07:16 AM

Sort your prioirities out OP.

You want to cut protein so that you can keep binge drinking. Great plan!
Unread 11-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovahdryve View Post
At what point does not getting the required 1g per lbs of lean body mass of protein start to become an issue?

Is 1 week really going to effect muscle loss, when in a cut?

Basically, I'm stuck at about 12% now because I've been lazy i.e basically keeping the deficit large Mon-Fri but f*cking up on the weekends drinking etc.

Anyway, I feel I can lose 2% in a month with an extreme deficit and to get rid of those extra calories was thinking of dropping my protein down to say 0.8g per lbs of lean body mass.

Thoughts? I hate drinking my protein shakes anyway, and they barely satiate me so if I can drop some cals from protein whether a short / extended period of time I'd love to be able to do so...

Cheers
Don't be an idiot.