BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-16-2015, 07:15 AM

Default Generic bulk bench press

Been on this program for 6 weeks. I do it like this:

Day 1 Upper

BB Bench 3x6-8
Bent over DB Row 3x6-8
Incline DB bench 3x10-12
Assisted chin ups 2-3x10-12
Lat raises 3x8-10
Biceps
Triceps

Day 2 lower

Deadlift 3x6
Leg press 3x10-12
Leg curls 4x6-8
Leg extensions 3x10-12
BB calf raises 3x10-12 superset with shrugs (just threw these in recently dont see why not)
Abs

Day 4 upper

BB military press 3x6-8
Machine pulldowns 3-4x6-8
Bent over DB rows 3x6-8
BB bench press 3x10-12
Lat raises 3x10-12
Bi
Tri

Day 5 lower

Same but squats instead of deadlift.

Pretty much the only issue i have with the routine is bench press. On the first upper when i do BB bench first, im in the 6-8 rep range for strength mainly. However on the second upper day BB bench is the last of the compound lifts and im in the 3x10-12 rep range for pump and hypertrophy.
The issue is i have to drop BB bench weight by at least 33lb to hit 3 sets of 10. Should i just ditch BB bench on the second upper day in favour of another chest exercise?
Thanks
Unread 01-16-2015, 08:37 AM
Administrator

You may not see any difference in rep drop with another exercise as it could jsut be due to general fatigue, chest fatigue or the fact that you're not good at reps.
Unread 01-16-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
You may not see any difference in rep drop with another exercise as it could jsut be due to general fatigue, chest fatigue or the fact that you're not good at reps.
Thanks for replying. Would it be beneficial to switch to a different exercise then? If so what would you recommend?
Unread 01-16-2015, 03:55 PM

Considering you're doing it later in the session and going for 2-6 more reps, a 33lb drop sounds completely normal. Why do you feel that it's such a bad thing?
Unread 01-16-2015, 07:59 PM

Try moving bench to first seeing is that it's the only chest exercise. Your tri/delts could be fatigued by the time you get to bench.
Unread 01-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmurph View Post
Try moving bench to first seeing is that it's the only chest exercise. Your tri/delts could be fatigued by the time you get to bench.
there is no could be. Without pretty amazing strong triceps, most don't get very far with two pressing movements worked heavily. The second always lags. Better to pick something like flyes or cable crossovers for second day
Unread 01-17-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
there is no could be. Without pretty amazing strong triceps, most don't get very far with two pressing movements worked heavily. The second always lags. Better to pick something like flyes or cable crossovers for second day
Ok will do thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC View Post
Considering you're doing it later in the session and going for 2-6 more reps, a 33lb drop sounds completely normal. Why do you feel that it's such a bad thing?
Because i havnt been progressing in weight on that exercise (not on the second day anyway, been upping the weight on first day steadily) so i figured its probably not a good exercise to continue doing hence the thread.
Though i wouldnt normally change an exercise mid way through a cycle, i will on this occasion. I enjoy doing flyes so i'll switch to them.
Unread 01-17-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobGains24 View Post
Ok will do thanks.

Because i havnt been progressing in weight on that exercise (not on the second day anyway, been upping the weight on first day steadily) so i figured its probably not a good exercise to continue doing hence the thread.
Though i wouldnt normally change an exercise mid way through a cycle, i will on this occasion. I enjoy doing flyes so i'll switch to them.
Another thing to possibly consider would be to make the second pressing exercise a decline press which will have less shoulder than a flat press,might help,might not
Unread 01-20-2015, 08:09 AM

I'm actually lagging a bit on bench press as a whole. I've only added 2.5kg to my bench in 9 weeks. Would it be wise to do bench press for 3x10 and incline DB press heavier and for 3x6? Everything else is going OK
Unread 01-20-2015, 08:45 AM

I would suggest that you put the bench press first on both days and that you increase the bench press volume. After that you can add one supplementary exercise (db press, flyes, shoulder press, incline press) on both days. These can be rotated and don't necessarily have to be same workout to workout or week to week.

Pressing 3x/week combined with a higher weekly volume would probably help you too assuming you don't fall into the bodybuilding trap of destroying yourself every workout.

As for periodization one simple method is to focus on 'volume' via moderate reps 6-10 for approx 6-8 weeks and then taper the volume and peak out via heavier training for 2-3 weeks. This system has some potential flaws but many have gotten very far using it.