BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM

Default Taking a scientific approach

Apart from Lyle, has anyone else considered their approach to lifting scientifically? I recall reading one of his books where he states something along the lines of eating a handful of cheese to hit a certain macro/nutrient goal for the day. But I wasn't sure if the general average person ever considered extensively documenting a way of life such as this.

For example, this came to mind as I was driving to the gym yesterday, how would I produce an analysis of my recent 90 day lift for fat loss and eat as clean as possible? Well, what would I consider, calories, macros, supplements, and protein intake?

Of course, the definition of eating clean differentiates from person to person not to mention the use of daily photos would probably provide enough evidence over time that what you are doing really works (or doesnt).

However, for me, I recently had some blood work done which showed that I was evidently Vitamin D deficient, thus, when starting this fat loss cut I figured, why not document it as much as possible build some sort of hypothesis to compare with my blood test results.

That being said, has anyone else considered doing this?
Unread 03-26-2015, 02:41 PM

What are you even asking bro? Just eat veggies & fruit a few times a day, take a multi, fish oil, and extra vitamin D. After the above, don't just eat crap all the time and get your protein. Stressing about it more than that is probably unhealthier than having perfectly fine tuned every nutrient in your diet.
Unread 03-26-2015, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
What are you even asking bro? Just eat veggies & fruit a few times a day, take a multi, fish oil, and extra vitamin D. After the above, don't just eat crap all the time and get your protein. Stressing about it more than that is probably unhealthier than having perfectly fine tuned every nutrient in your diet.
While excellent advise, also probably useless.

After a couple decades on forums and newsgroups such as these, I've realized there is a personality type, and/or an age range, and/or a gender and/or a life phase, that causes an uncontrollable need to micro manage every detail of a diet/workout program, to study books about micro managing diet/workout programs, to obsess about it all.

Probably for most it is a passing phase. For some a psychopathology. But the advise to not do it, probably not going to work.

Luckily, a mostly harmless obsession.
Unread 03-26-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post

After a couple decades on forums and newsgroups such as these, I've realized there is a personality type, and/or an age range, and/or a gender and/or a life phase, that causes an uncontrollable need to micro manage every detail of a diet/workout program, to study books about micro managing diet/workout programs, to obsess about it all.

Probably for most it is a passing phase. For some a psychopathology. But the advise to not do it, probably not going to work.

I tried it. I think The Moment for me was realizing that, once I adapted to eating lean protein and learned to eyeball serving sizes, no amount of tracking was going to meaningfully improve my compliance.

As Dan John says, at some point, you have to eat like a grown up. If meticulous tracking gets you there, great; for me, having recognized how long recomp was really going to take, I've transferred my focus to habits and performance.
Unread 03-26-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardasaures View Post
Apart from Lyle, has anyone else considered their approach to lifting scientifically? I recall reading one of his books where he states something along the lines of eating a handful of cheese to hit a certain macro/nutrient goal for the day. But I wasn't sure if the general average person ever considered extensively documenting a way of life such as this.

For example, this came to mind as I was driving to the gym yesterday, how would I produce an analysis of my recent 90 day lift for fat loss and eat as clean as possible? Well, what would I consider, calories, macros, supplements, and protein intake?

Of course, the definition of eating clean differentiates from person to person not to mention the use of daily photos would probably provide enough evidence over time that what you are doing really works (or doesnt).

However, for me, I recently had some blood work done which showed that I was evidently Vitamin D deficient, thus, when starting this fat loss cut I figured, why not document it as much as possible build some sort of hypothesis to compare with my blood test results.

That being said, has anyone else considered doing this?
Plenty of people are doing it in the fitness world. Generally it has less to do with being scientific and more about being 'OCD'.
Unread 03-27-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=29166

Would you like me to contribute an "Advice, advise: a primer"?
Unread 03-27-2015, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metame View Post
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=29166

Would you like me to contribute an "Advice, advise: a primer"?
DUH!!

I could claim I was drunk, but, I prefer just being stupid.

To salvage anything from this debacle, I appreciate you remembering my primer.

I think I'll drink now.

Edit: I'd would like to point out that I could have edited my mistakes away without a trace and deleted your post. But intellectual integrity is actually a thing :-)
Unread 03-27-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
But intellectual integrity is actually a thing :-)
And one that I genuinely respect too

Quote:
To salvage anything from this debacle, I appreciate you remembering my primer.
I wish I did not but not a day passes without my being reminded of it, if you see what I mean
Unread 03-28-2015, 03:13 PM

Take a look at this journal:
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=30196