BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-13-2018, 09:39 PM

Default Pullups - Lock out or not?

I do weighted pullups once per week (6-8 reps with bodyweight+25lbs to bodyweight +35lbs). I've noticed that I feel this exercise a lot more in my biceps/arms than my back. I'm trying to really improve my back.

I've tried several variations such as trying different width grips + using straps and it hasn't really made a difference.

I typically lock out at the bottom and sometimes even rest at the bottom for a second to take a deep breathe for my last rep (like squats).

Am I making a mistake by locking out? How do you usually do them? I can seem to get a few extra reps if I don't lock out, but it feels like I'm cheating.
Unread 10-14-2018, 08:26 AM

Put most of your grip pressure on your pinkie and ring finger. When you initiate the pull imagine your elbows are actually on the handle so you're pulling with your elbows Nd not your hands. A third thing is pointing out your index finger like making a gun with your hand. If a combination of those 3 things dont engage more back nothing will
Unread 10-16-2018, 02:51 PM

Are you starting the pull with your lats first? (Mind muscle connection is useful here).
Unread 10-16-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post
Are you starting the pull with your lats first? (Mind muscle connection is useful here).
Not really. Good point. How do you advise I build a mind muscle connection? I find it rather hard with this exercise.
Unread 10-16-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaken3400 View Post
Not really. Good point. How do you advise I build a mind muscle connection? I find it rather hard with this exercise.
If you follow w1cked's instructions you will have a better mind muscle connection in your lats.
Unread 10-17-2018, 12:03 AM

Pulling with your elbows instead of hands/arms is a good cue. What helped me in the beginning was to "shrug" up with my late first, then follow through with arm movement. Similar to a cable row, retract scapular first, then pull with your arms.

Maybe drop the added weight first, and start over with just bodyweight. It will seem like a step backwards towards progress, bit it's pointless if you feel most of it in your biceps/arms.