BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-06-2015, 02:02 PM

Default Sissy squats

Looking for an alternative quad dominant exercise for a home gym, to use after heavy deads.

I have a decent commercial hack squat machine, but its been bothering my knees a bit. Can play around with foot position (typically been quite low on the board, narrow feet flared quite a bit and going low - might explain it).

I'm considering swapping it out for a leg press (not cheap), or getting a local metal fabricator to convert the hack squat into a leg press (cheaper).

But either way, I'm also considering other alternatives. What's the view on how useful sissy squats are for growth (on a sissy squat 'machine' rather than Gironda style).

I know they can burn/hurt like hell, but can they generate much growth or are they just pumpy nonsense, like say kickbacks for tris?

(and also before other alternatives get mentioned like split squats or front squats, I want opinions on sissy squats for now - have done both split and front, but this is for higher reps than I'm happy doing for front squat and split squats bore me frankly.)

Last edited by Pauly : 05-06-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Unread 05-06-2015, 03:36 PM

They are tough on the knees too so might not be the best option for you. And in general not really a main exercise for the quads.

Have you tried facing the other way when using your hack squats machine? On some machines it can work pretty well.
Unread 05-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlakramondas View Post
They are tough on the knees too so might not be the best option for you. And in general not really a main exercise for the quads.

Have you tried facing the other way when using your hack squats machine? On some machines it can work pretty well.
No, haven't tried facing wrong way round. Will give that a try, thanks.

Will find a local gym with a sissy squat and try that too - can see the potential for knee issues.
Unread 05-08-2015, 10:42 PM

Why not just bungee cord some 2x4's on the neck part and put a cushion on the foot board?

That would convert your hack squat machine to a leg press, letting you use it upside down. Does that make sense?
Unread 05-10-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannPM View Post
Why not just bungee cord some 2x4's on the neck part and put a cushion on the foot board?

That would convert your hack squat machine to a leg press, letting you use it upside down. Does that make sense?
Yes - unfortunately though the way the safety catches are currently, with it being a dedicated hack squat, mean its not possible to unrack the weight from a seated position - the release is shoulder height in the standing position.

This is the bit I'd need a fabricator to sort for me.
Unread 05-10-2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
No, haven't tried facing wrong way round. Will give that a try, thanks.

Will find a local gym with a sissy squat and try that too - can see the potential for knee issues.
Unfortunately too with this idea, the padded backboard on my particular machine is quite long, so spin round and the bottom of the pad gets right in the way.

Thanks for the idea though.
Unread 05-10-2015, 04:07 PM

Back squats? You'd have to do them prior to the deadlifting though. And i agree on front squats being severely uncomfortable for high reps, that's why i keep them at triples or lower
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic Saiyan View Post
Back squats? You'd have to do them prior to the deadlifting though. And i agree on front squats being severely uncomfortable for high reps, that's why i keep them at triples or lower
Already do back squats as heavy movement on quad-focussed lower day. This is about a slightly higher rep quad exercise to follow deads on hamstring-focussed lower day.