BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-13-2015, 12:29 AM

Default schoenfeld's new study. I don't get it.

So first off, I'll say I don't have access to the full text so maybe I'm missinterpreting things. But, if you're trying to determine if training a muscle 1 vs 3 times per week is superior for hypertrophy, why on earth would you measure the forearm extensors and flexors The forearms are like the only muscle that gets hit at every session practically regardless of what you do. And the abstract doesn't mention the vastus lateralis (the only muscle that would have actually told us anything) so I'm assuming there was no difference there, and then concludes that "the findings suggest a potentially superior hypertrophic benefit to higher weekly resistance training frequencies". I don't get it

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25932981
Unread 05-13-2015, 01:31 AM

Unless forearm flexors and extensors means biceps and triceps...but I always thought those were commonly called elbow flexors and extensors.
Unread 05-13-2015, 03:21 AM

I swear I thought I saw a Facebook status explains that from Brad but can't find it on my phone right now.
Unread 05-13-2015, 06:53 AM

Yes he's talking about biceps and triceps and yes he did a Facebook post about it.
Unread 05-13-2015, 06:53 AM

Full text can be downloaded here -

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...ll-Trained_Men
Unread 05-13-2015, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Weird wording, he measured biceps and triceps but the reviewers made him put forearms.
Unread 05-17-2015, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I read the full text (thanks for that, FistOfFury), It says that they trained to failure, and rested 90 seconds between sets, and the weights were adjusted to account for fatigue. I wonder if that means they only rested 90 seconds between exercises as well? If it does, it makes you wonder if the sharp reduction in weight, that would have inevitably occured on the latter exercises in the SPLIT group, had much to do with the results? I wonder if the results would have been different if they rested a little longer between sets/exercises?

EDIT- For the most part, nevermind I just looked at the actual routine and it's a chest and back/legs/shoulders and arms split. Not a push/pull/legs split like I had assumed. Which makes my above point a bit less valid, at least for the biceps and triceps.

Last edited by Jackedtastic : 05-17-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Unread 05-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Who cares. The results are what they are.
Unread 05-17-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Who cares. The results are what they are.
Well...by my estimation, the results are only as good as the meaning they provide, and the meaning they provide is entirely dependent on the particulars of the study design, no? So to answer your question, I would have to say- Anyone who cares about the meaning of the results, should care. Would you agree?

But anyhoo, If I had designed the study, I think I would have used a push/pull/legs split. I would have had longer rests between exercises (like at least 3 minutes), but the short rests between sets would have still been fine. And I would have had an even longer rest (like at least 5 mins) between the compound torso exercises and the isolation arm exercises, so that the arms weren't completely dead after being hit with like 9 sets of compound exercises. I think that would have given us a slightly better idea of whether 1 vs 3 times per week frequency was best.

In fairness, the authors did hypothesize that the higher metabolic stress of the SPLIT routine would result in more growth, and the more frequent neural stimulation of the TOTAL body routine would result in more strength gains, so in that sense the study design kinda made decent sense. But IMO, it would have been more interesting to keep all the variables as separate as possible, and have one study testing metabolic stress vs tension, and another study testing 1 vs 3 times per week frequency. JMO. I don't know the first thing about study design though...I'm just some dude that likes to lift weights
Unread 05-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Administrator

You can't ever keep all the variables separate. That's not how you do science. And he is trying to mimick real world training. And in the real world, rest intervals change tiwht workout setup