BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > UD 2.0
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-08-2009, 11:54 AM

Default Mass Gaining UD 2.0 Variant for Full Diet Break?

Is the mass gaining variant of the UD 2.0 workable as a full diet break following the RFL plan for a category 1 dieter? The text for the minimum calories & carbs for both seem compatable - I'm just curious if I'm missing something or if it's a bad idea for other reasons. It seems like a nice way to lock in the fat loss and add some insurance to the muscle mass. Anyone ever try this?
Unread 07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

What are you planning to do diet or training wise AFTER the full diet break? I think that may guide the choice.
Unread 07-08-2009, 01:55 PM

My goal is to hit 10%bf at 180 lbs and I'm on track to hit that or get close by the end of this 2 week span of RFL. I've tended to screw up full diet breaks in the past (as in eating too much junk) so this time I was going bite the bullet and plan out the full diet break just like any other diet - I tend to thrive on routine anyway. The UD2.0 for mass seems to fit the nutritional requirements for the full diet break and training seems to make any diet plan easier (for me anyway) so I figure why not swap it out entirely? The worst that can happen is I put on a little lean weight - right? That's the thought anyway.

After that period, if I'm still over 10% I'll probably continue the UD 2.0 until I hit it. If I do make 10% I'll inevitably want to start adding muscle again - and probably with UD for mass because I'd like to keep the abs at least for the summer
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Administrator

I think my main potential concern if you're thinking about moving into UD2 is that UD2 by itself can burn folks out with hte heavy training load and such. 2 weeks of full diet break using UD2 might be overkill. As I've mentioned, doing a bit of depletion work in the couple of weeks prior to starting UD2 can make the transition a little less stressful.

So I think my suggest owuld be a non cyclical diet with a moderate training frequency (3-4Xweights, upper lower or whatever) with primarily heavier work and a couple of high rep sets at the end. With carbs at 100-150 g/day across the board.
Unread 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I think my main potential concern if you're thinking about moving into UD2 is that UD2 by itself can burn folks out with hte heavy training load and such. 2 weeks of full diet break using UD2 might be overkill. As I've mentioned, doing a bit of depletion work in the couple of weeks prior to starting UD2 can make the transition a little less stressful.

So I think my suggest owuld be a non cyclical diet with a moderate training frequency (3-4Xweights, upper lower or whatever) with primarily heavier work and a couple of high rep sets at the end. With carbs at 100-150 g/day across the board.

Mmm, Thats what i am doing. I don't know why but i just had to grind through the last 2 weeks of the diet. Seriously, i was okay for the first 6 weeks then bam. Not really burnout but i just felt so tired all the time (the only thing keeping me going was "just 1 more week. just 2 more sessions... Pasta....etc).

Right now i'm doing the generic bulk routine (run-up) for two weeks, keeping carbs at the 150 range, and protein at the 1.4 range and fats making up the rest. Calories are -10% on non-training days (as mentioned in another thread to be anal about metabolic slowdown). I plan on continuing the cut for maybe around 4-6 weeks or maybe another full 8 but we shall see. I am still losing weight though.

Last edited by tayjeremy : 07-08-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the info. I figured something about that idea was overkill, I just wasn't sure what.
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator

It was an interesting thought, actually. Hadn't occurred to me to use it like that.

I just think adding 2 extra weeks of UD2 will end up grinding you down during the diet part.

If you were planning on transitioning to a non-UD2 approach after the break, I could see it working (e.g. as a way to get everything upregulated, rebuild any lost muscle, etc).
Unread 09-11-2009, 12:39 PM

At the risk of beating a dead horse, what about:

Weeks 1-4: UD 2.0 for fat loss
Weeks 5-6: UD 2.0 for mass gain
Weeks 7-8: RFL
Repeat (indefinately for the sake of arguement)

You still get 2 weeks off of the diet and 2 weeks off of the intense training every 6 weeks, just not at the same time.

Thoughts?
Unread 09-11-2009, 04:57 PM

Since we're asking these questions:

Can I end my 5 week UD 2.0 cycle by continuing my bulk, or must I do a maintenance break? I am still getting stronger and feel fine.