BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Default Aspartame

Long story short.

My chiropractor (who isn't a doctor but thinks he knows more than a doctor) seems very knowledgable on nutrition. In other words he know big words that sound right and well Im not smart enough to know if its BS or not.

Anyway he holds a nutrition class 2 a week every week and has a big following.

He is very big on eating ONLY organic foods and he swears that Aspartame in diet drinks will cause cancer and is 100% poison for all of us.

Is he right?...and if so wouldn't the FDA take this stuff out of soft drinks by now, or is he being a little to organic hippish type of advice.

2) Second question...he is VERY big on the meddidteran diet and swears this is the best way to eat and stay cancer free and very healthy.

I did some research on the meditteran diet and other than it looking very bland and hard for me to do because I am not a big veggie guy...it looked extremely healthy and great for the body?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Administrator

No, he's not right about aspartame but taking nutrition advice from a chiro would be like taking chiropractic advice from a nutritionist.

The Mediterranean diet has many health benefits due to the various components.
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM

So aparatame is safe then?
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G. View Post
FDA's estimate of acceptable daily intake for aspartame is limited to 18-19 twelve-ounce cans per day. If you're really worried about it, stop at your 12th can.
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G. View Post
Safe how? Water is not really safe, O2 is not all that safe.

Everything is bad for you. Its called moderation. I think the way they looked at aspartame is that they injected it into the brains of mice, someone correct me if im wrong. Now injecting a lot of stuff into the brain is not the best of ideas. Eating it however, well...
Unread 01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Aspartame is made up of

aspartic acid - an amino acid
phenylalanine - an amino acid
with an ester bond on it

ask your chiro if eating protein is poisonous b/c dietary protein provides both of the first two ingredients.
Unread 01-25-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aragon View Post
FDA's estimate of acceptable daily intake for aspartame is limited to 18-19 twelve-ounce cans per day. If you're really worried about it, stop at your 12th can.
Thanks!
Unread 01-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

What up with me getting headaches if I drink more then half a 2 litre of caffeine free diet soda. Pain=Bad
Unread 01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Best I can find on pubmed

Neurology. 1994 Oct;44(10):1787-93.
Aspartame ingestion and headaches: a randomized crossover trial.

Van den Eeden SK, Koepsell TD, Longstreth WT Jr, van Belle G, Daling JR, McKnight B.
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195.
Comment in:To examine whether ingestion of aspartame is associated with headaches, we conducted a double-blind crossover study using volunteers with self-identified headaches after using aspartame. Of the 32 subjects randomized to receive aspartame (approximately 30 mg/kg/d) and placebo in a two-treatment, four-period crossover design, 18 completed the full protocol, seven completed part of the protocol before withdrawing due to adverse effects, three withdrew for other reasons, two were lost to follow-up, one was withdrawn due to noncompliance, and one withdrew and gave no reason. Each experimental period was 7 days long. Subjects reported headaches on 33% of the days during aspartame treatment, compared with 24% on placebo treatment (p = 0.04). Subjects who were "very sure" prior to the study that aspartame triggered some of their headaches reported larger treatment differences (aspartame = 0.37 headache-days, placebo = 0.18 headache-days; p < 0.001) than subjects who were "somewhat sure" (aspartame = 0.29 headache-days, placebo = 0.22 headache-days; p = 0.51) or "not sure" (aspartame = 0.33 headache-days, placebo = 0.39 headache-days; p = 0.51). There was no significant treatment difference in the length or intensity of headaches or in the occurrence of side effects associated with the headaches. This experiment provides evidence that, among individuals with self-reported headaches after ingestion of aspartame, a subset of this group report more headaches when tested under controlled conditions. It appears that some people are particularly susceptible to headaches caused by aspartame and may want to limit their consumption.
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Banned

Something strange is afoot here - my Wife's back doctor told her that Aspartame was the cause of her being easily bruised (my temper is a more likely cause).

What could Chiropractors possibly have against aspartame?