BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Default Question about calories on rest days and protein synthesis

This must have come up on here before, but having searched for it on the forum I can't find reference to it other than one thread which didn't particularly explain anything.

Protein synthesis we know is elevated for around 36 hours, after which presumably the body is done with building muscle following the previous weight training session.
So why maintain a caloric surplus on the rest day following?

I can see there being possible glycogen replenishment beinfiits, but surely a caloric surplus when the body is not building muscle would just be stored as excess fat?
Is it important to be in a surplus for other areas of recovery, perhaps?

Thanks a lot.
Unread 07-08-2017, 03:57 PM
Banned

This interests me as well.
Unread 07-09-2017, 07:13 AM

Well a day is 24 hours. This is fairly well documented, can't remember the study off the top of my head but can probably find it

And your saying protein synthesis is elevated for 36 hours

So on average if you work out in the middle of the day your protein synthesis should go until the end of the next day, assuming your 36 hr window and then it's almost time to work out again

Did somebody call for a mathematician?

Last edited by Hectic : 07-09-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Unread 07-09-2017, 07:23 AM

I think he meant on rest day*s* when MPS is no longer elevated.

Problem is, just because MPS is not elevated does not mean it isn't happening. Also, you're not only eating a surplus to take advantage of protein synthesis, but to limit potential for breakdown.

Keep that surplus up, bruv. Don't try to micromanage, unless you're into that kind of stuff. There's a good reason all them fat boys are way bigger and stronger than you
Unread 07-09-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
I think he meant on rest day*s* when MPS is no longer elevated.

Problem is, just because MPS is not elevated does not mean it isn't happening. Also, you're not only eating a surplus to take advantage of protein synthesis, but to limit potential for breakdown.

Keep that surplus up, bruv. Don't try to micromanage, unless you're into that kind of stuff. There's a good reason all them fat boys are way bigger and stronger than you
x2
Unread 07-10-2017, 07:09 AM

Protein synthesis isn't actually elevated for that long in trained folks.
Unread 07-10-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
Protein synthesis isn't actually elevated for that long in trained folks.
What relevance does this have to the question?

The issue remains the same: a surplus is not merely an issue of taking advantage of elevated MPS.

We're also trying to make sure that net synthesis most of the time exceeds net breakdown, among other stuff.

You can reduce your surplus somewhat on non training days, that's fine. But the idea that there's no long term muscle growth benefit whatsoever to surpluses on rest days is absolutely idiotic. People with that mentality are the sorts who will never look like they lift.
Unread 07-15-2017, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. So there is certainly value in maintaining a surplus despite MPS not being elevated.

So say you were to drop the calories a little bit as has been said you can do, how much would be advisable to do that by? As we've established there is more to an adaptation than just elevated MPS and taking advantage of that aspect, but I'm presuming you're still not going to need as many calories the further away from a session you get.
Even though there would be benifits in doing so, surely that would balance out in that you'd be gaining more fat, actually putting yourself in a less anabolic state.

I agree that micromanaging in this way is silly, though maybe if you just had a rule that you dropped your calories by two or three hundred once most adaptation ceased, it might have some benifits?
Unread 07-15-2017, 12:17 PM

a more interesting question would be what happens when you take it to the extreme. like alternating two days of surplus (with a heavy workout) with a day or two of a huge deficit (like 50%). would you lose fat and gain some muscle? lose fat and only maintain muscle? gain muscle and not gain fat? would you gain muscle almost as it you weren't dieting at all? if not, by how much is the difference? a ton of interesting questions arise. ofc this sort of brings us to the UD2.0 type thing, (which, mind you, also have a bulking option), though it alternates "half weeks" and not 1-2 days.

probably the answer to all of them is, well, the same: depends. on genetics, hormones, nerve system activity, size of surplus, types of workout being done, heck maybe even on sun hours per day depending on where in the world you live in. who knows. we probably always end up with each techniques having its own ups and downs for different people. like a tool you pick from the toolbox, depending on your situation.

you see how i managed not giving you any relevant information and still look smart?

Last edited by katriss : 07-15-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Unread 07-15-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katriss View Post
a more interesting question would be what happens when you take it to the extreme. like alternating two days of surplus (with a heavy workout) with a day or two of a huge deficit (like 50%). would you lose fat and gain some muscle? lose fat and only maintain muscle? gain muscle and not gain fat? would you gain muscle almost as it you weren't dieting at all? if not, by how much is the difference? a ton of interesting questions arise. ofc this sort of brings us to the UD2.0 type thing, (which, mind you, also have a bulking option), though it alternates "half weeks" and not 1-2 days.

probably the answer to all of them is, well, the same: depends. on genetics, hormones, nerve system activity, size of surplus, types of workout being done, heck maybe even on sun hours per day depending on where in the world you live in. who knows. we probably always end up with each techniques having its own ups and downs for different people. like a tool you pick from the toolbox, depending on your situation.

you see how i managed not giving you any relevant information and still look smart?
Rambling nonsense =/= smart.