BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-02-2017, 05:23 AM

Default Muscle soreness from carb up?

So this may be a "duh" kind of question, but I don't know and didn't find anything poking around.

I've done PSMF before, but not a carb up. Mine was supposed to be 225 g carbs/5 hours and I got that w/8 g of fat. Didn't really like it much and can't imagine some of the huge numbers I've seen posted for people doing UD2, but then you get all day.

Scale weight up 2 pounds overnight. Seems to be expected, though I swear I didn't have a ton of extra water intake.

Woke up with sore muscles in my neck/shoulder/abs kind of like if you spent the night being sick and going hard at it. Don't think it is exercise related because just did yoga & walking.

carb up = muscle soreness?

Or I'm just weird. Wondering if maybe it is a food intolerance (no grains for 18 days prior to this), or my body was just fighting to keep all that down while I was sleeping.

Last edited by holly70 : 09-02-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Unread 09-02-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
carb up = muscle soreness?
Haha, that would be something. The only thing I can think of (ignoring any external issues, like the yoga/exercise you've been doing) is that the body actually allows to go in repair mode because there's sufficient nutrition. At least, that's if you believe the calcium accumulation model. And still, I'm just randomly saying stuff.

Long story short, it's probably a coincidence.
Unread 09-02-2017, 07:14 PM

My guess is it's not related
Unread 09-02-2017, 07:17 PM

This happens to me but I think what's going on, for me at least, is that I'm doing high volume training on low carb days and then carbing up a day or two later after a mild workout. I think what's going on is the carbs speed up or improve recovery time, I'm pretty sure that's already established but I think what Im noticing is the accumulative recovery efforts coming in full swing after plentiful carbs hit the system.

When I was in high school I would get sore maybe 8-12 hours later after working out.
Then later on in life the gap between lifting and getting sore increased. I'm guessing this might be longer recovery time given getting "older".

Back a few years ago when I was on a stric keto diet long term I would lift and wouldn't get sore for sometimes 24-36 hours after the workout.

Fast forward a bit and when I was on a bro split eating bro macros I would get sore later the next day.

Now what happens is I will get mildly sore during the week using high volume/low carbs, but not as much as I'd expect that I should be from training that way. Then when the carbs roll in the soreness seeps up all over. I think it's just the carbs allowing metabolic recovery or somthing like that and the DOMS is a wierd symptom that crops up from it.
Anyways that's just my hairbrained thougts.

I know you were saying that you hadn't done much training that could be owed to getting sore, but perhaps you had been low carb earlier in the week when you might have been training with more intensity or volume, hence the mini carb load and maybe the recovery efforts just hit full force after the carbs bit your system?

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates

Last edited by JDPbrah : 09-02-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Unread 09-03-2017, 07:45 AM

Thanks y'all.

Feel better today, though that 2 pounds is still hanging around.

I really expected that I would feel better/more energetic and instead woke up feeling sore and yuck.

So maybe delayed recovery, probably unrelated. And if it happens again I could try skipping the grain...not easy though. The one grain free thing I had (lentil potato soup) was the toughest to finish.