BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-28-2017, 04:44 AM

Default Please critique my plan! Can it work?

I wanna make sure everything is on point here. Here it goes:

My goal is to take advantage of my newbie lifter stage and recomp for around 2 months (if the results are there, I'll keep at it).

Stats: 22 yo male, 168cm, 66,2kg, ~16%bf

My meal plan is:

Lifting days (4x a week) - 2125 kcals, Macros C 266g / P 186g / F 35g

Fasted cardio day - 1700 kcals, Macros C 60g / P 180g / F 83g

Rest days (PSMF?) - 900 kcals, Macros no carbs / P 180g / F 20g

Supps: 3,2g EPA/DHA, multi, 400mg of caffeine b4 fasted LISS cardio

** on lifting days I'll be at a surplus of 250-350kcals, on HFLC day at a deficit of 300-400

Lifting routine:

Monday/Thursday - chest/shoulders/tri's/abs

3 exercises for chest, 2 for the rest. I'm using a mix of free weights and basic machines. 3 sets per exercise, depending on which one I'll do 8-12 reps. This means I'm working with 80%RM here

Tuesday/Friday - back/bi's/glutes/calves

3 exercises for back, 2 for the others. 3 sets per exercise, also the rep range depends on the exercise, but max is 12. Again, even if I'm doing 6-8 reps or 10-12, the intensity is roughly my 80%RM.

Saturday - fasted LISS for an hour,

That's it (I guess?). I'm coming out of a successful PSMF cat 2 run by the way.

Also, yes I'm not training legs FOR NOW. They are my best feature and get big pretty quick. My shoulder-hips proportion is bad, so yeah. Aesthetics is important to me.

Share your opinions and thoughts. I got retarded responses at other places btw, nothing constructive or insightful. You guys here are way more knowledgeable

Last edited by vinilzord : 09-28-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Unread 09-28-2017, 06:27 AM

This plan is...out there. How are you using 80% for sets of 12 Instead of critiquing everything that's wrong I recommend picking a tried and tested routine and a simple macro layout. A beginner doesn't need to major in the minors.
Unread 09-28-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
This plan is...out there. How are you using 80% for sets of 12 Instead of critiquing everything that's wrong I recommend picking a tried and tested routine and a simple macro layout. A beginner doesn't need to major in the minors.
Let me fix the macros because that PSMF on rest days is plain retarded, just noticed it.

TDEE on days I lift is like 2100-2150. On rest days it's 1800-1900

*Lifting days (4x) - MACROS: C 263g / P 184g / F 35g . Kcals = 2100
*Fasted cardio day - MACROS: C 51g / P 180g / F 75g . Kcals = 1600
*Rest day (2x) - MACROS: C 191g / P 170g / F 28g . Kcals = 1700

There you go. Slight surplus 4x a week, moderate deficit 3x a week.

Yeah that was confusing, honestly. Let me rephrase that: I'm doing 8-10 reps for compound movements, and 8-12 for smaller muscle groups.

Which lifting routine do you recommend? The eating part I won't change because I wanna recomp. 4 days of surplus and 3 of deficit seems decent (or not?).

Also I don't have access to much machines. I train at a small gym that got the basics covered. What I did was hand picking exercises at exrx and putting them in an order that makes sense. Like, heavy compounds first then isolated. I did my best considering there's not much to be creative about. Gonna subscribe to a better one by December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Let me fix the macros because that PSMF on rest days is plain retarded, just noticed it.

TDEE on days I lift are like 2100-2150. On rest days it's 1800-1900

*Lifting days (4x) - MACROS: C 263g / P 184g / F 35g . Kcals = 2100
*Fasted cardio day - MACROS: C 51g / P 180g / F 75g . Kcals = 1600
*Rest day (2x) - MACROS: C 191g / P 170g / F 28g . Kcals = 1700

There you go. Slight surplus 4x a week, moderate deficit 3x a week.

Yeah that was confusing, honestly. Let me rephrase that: I'm doing 8-10 reps for compound movements, and 8-12 for smaller muscle groups.

Which lifting routine do you recommend? The eating part I won't change because I wanna recomp. 4 days of surplus and 3 of deficit seems decent (or not?).

Also I don't have access to much machines. I train at a small gym that got the basics covered. What I did was hand picking exercises at exrx and putting them in an order that makes sense. Like, heavy compounds first then isolated. I did my best considering there's not much to be creative about. Gonna subscribe to a bigger one by December.

https://imgur.com/a/1tZGr - lifting program. Please be candid about it all, thx

Last edited by vinilzord : 09-28-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Unread 09-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Probably use less of a disparity between lifting days and rest days. Something like 10-20% surplus on lifting days, 10-20% deficit on non-lifting days. See how results are and adjust calories accordingly, maybe move some here and there depending on when you tend to get hungry. (EDIT: this was based on the original post. I see you've clarified this in a subsequent post.)

Opinions differ on the validity of a recomp approach. I say try it out and see how you like it. It's not like you have to do one thing the rest of your life. You can move to a more traditional cut/slow bulk type approach and maybe you'll find it works better, or maybe you won't.

For lifting, 4x/week is usually too much during a recomp. With minimal leg work (just glutes/calves), you should be able to pretty comfortably fit everything in with 3x/week anyway. Hitting each workout every 4th or 5th day (ABA BAB) will be fine given the volume.

You could also change things up to get a higher frequency, hitting focus bodyparts 2 or even 3 times a week depending on which exercises you do and how you account for overlap. This could be upper body workouts with various focus areas per workout (and lower stuff added where appropriate), or something like chest+back+delts/arms+glutes+calves/chest+back+delts. Lots of options.
Unread 09-28-2017, 07:29 PM

Your plan is too tricky and at a guess I'd say you will have trouble with adherence and possibly you will fall off the rails or lose your mind if you do adhere

You have so many varoables going on that if it doesn't work and you need to adjust you will have no idea what to adjust. Do you change your average intake? Are the low days too low? Is the cardio stuffing you up? Are the high days not high enough?

Even your weight will fluctuate so much from the high days and low days it will be hard to track and might take 3 weeks of weighing everyday before you get a trend. And if you need to adjus you're already half way in on your timeframe before you can tell if your weight is going up or down

On that note 2 months is nothing why so short?

I'd do something far more simple

Just go 10% over on workout days and 10% under on non workout days

Upper lower split

your hips are not your quads it's the fat on your hip bones affecting your proportions potentially not the muscle. Maybe rethink that?

Last edited by Hectic : 09-28-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Unread 09-29-2017, 07:40 AM

Not trying to sound snarky, just want to hear your reasoning on this -- what do you think is to be gained by eating under maintenance on rest days? Is the LISS for aerobic conditioning or fat loss?
Unread 09-29-2017, 08:42 AM

My best idea is to eat maintenance and do gbr 3 to 4x week like the other poster suggested. Some cardio when you feel like.
Unread 09-29-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeen768 View Post
Not trying to sound snarky, just want to hear your reasoning on this -- what do you think is to be gained by eating under maintenance on rest days? Is the LISS for aerobic conditioning or fat loss?
Deficit on rest days = lose fat
Surplus on lifting days = strength/muscle gain
In the end of the week I'll have 3 days of deficit and 4 days in an anabolic state

The fasted LISS is for both. I don't like aerobic training, but it's necessary in a general matter.

@update - New macros are up. I was complicating this too much. Here's my final plan (finally I got it right after reading more and stopping being paranoid). Basically, 10% of surplus on the days I lift, and a deficit of 20% when I'll be sitting on my desk all day.

https://imgur.com/CTzZ4Sx
Unread 09-29-2017, 09:29 AM

As a fellow newb, I'd say you're making this way too complicated. Why not just do GBR, add a protein shake after training, and then do a couple of sessions of LISS per week? Your stats are way better than mine, but at your weight and bf %age it doesn't take all this complicated stuff to get results.

Plus, what are you going to do to kick it up a notch once this complicated stuff stops working? IMO it's better to start off simple and then get more complicated as gains slow down.