BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-14-2017, 07:03 AM

Default Tips on non-calorie counting method?

What are some general tips when using a non-calorie counting method? What is working for me right now is that I am following a moderate diet with 3-4 meals and my first 2 meals are controlled, meaning I know the calories, fats, proteins, etc. The 3rd meal before dinner sometimes is just plain 200 grams of chicken breast so I can get my protein intake up without adding too many calories. This is done purposely to leave dinner flexible where I have about 800 calories left and 45-50 protein or so to go. I also consume my carbohydrate intake of 100 grams in the first 2 meals so I know dinner is flexible but is limited to mostly protein/fats/veggies.

This presents me with generally 3 options:

1.) Be real flexible and have a cheese burger and some chips. Must add in a whey protein shake. Two hot dogs with a bit of chicken and a protein shake also comes out pretty close to my macros.

2.) Just eat lean meats and veggies and aim for about 300 grams of meat if the meat is lean. This is the most reassuring option.

3.) Whatever my wife makes for dinner. Avoid the rice and starchy carbs and pick out the meat/veggies. Luckily this isn't too much of a pain in the butt for her because she is cutting back on rice as well to drop weight (my wife is asian and rice is simply 3x a day no matter what)

Yesterday I pretty much ate a meat bowl but I felt it would be a bit neurotic to weigh the chicken breast, pork rib, and shrimp separately so I decided to develop my own sort of rule of thumb by using these averages:

-100 grams of chicken breast - 165 cal, Protein 31, FAT 3.6, TOTAL GRAMS 34.6
-100 grams of shrimp - 99 Cal, Protein 24, FAT 0.3, TOTAL GRAMS 24.3
-100 grams of pork rib - 370 cal, 24.26 protein, FAT 29.58, TOTAL GRAMS 53.84

Using an average, 100 grams of meat is generally about 25 grams of protein & 200 calories. The meat bowl weighed 330 grams so using this method I know I met my protein intake under my calorie limit. I want to know if this logic is sound...

Last edited by davidjr74 : 09-14-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Unread 09-14-2017, 08:08 AM

It's probably not very accurate, but it balances out nicely.

For me it's hard to have control without the actual numbers.

If I couldn't measure 1 or 2 meals each day, I'd go intermittent fasting. At least it'll limit fat gain if you don't completely stuff yourself later on the day.
Unread 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM

2 my choice
Unread 09-14-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
It's probably not very accurate, but it balances out nicely.

For me it's hard to have control without the actual numbers.

If I couldn't measure 1 or 2 meals each day, I'd go intermittent fasting. At least it'll limit fat gain if you don't completely stuff yourself later on the day.
True. Even if my calories aren't entirely accurate I doubt I would gain weight during the week as I am actively trying to eat less. Sometimes I go to bed not hungry and I'm thinking to myself "umm....was I at maintenance today?"

As long as I'm losing 1lb a week I would say its effective...haven't finished week one yet though.
Unread 09-15-2017, 12:26 AM

Yeah, probably the best thing to do is wait a month and see what your weight is doing. Probably you become more and more accurate as months go by. At the end of your journey you become known as the eyeball guru.
Unread 10-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Ain't no thang really, just make sure your controlled meals are high protein, low kcl. Get some veggies at some point and omega 3. As long as you stay under maintance for the majority of days, and nothing crazy on over days. and eat enough proteins it should all go well.
Unread 10-01-2017, 11:52 AM

I weighed some of the stuff I eat on a regular basis and taped pictures of what a serving looks like on my fridge so I just eyeball it most of the times.