BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 05-28-2015, 06:07 AM

Looks like you're making the book I can pass to friends and family members that will actually get read. I try to give them advice, point them to your articles and other informative sites, but that's normally all too much like hard work and nothing much gets learned. Having everything in one place might just change everything, can't wait!

Noticed a lot of the content of the bible is already covered on the main site or in your previous books. For us lot who are already familiar with all of your work, aside from the entire book on women (can't wait!), is there anything revolutionary, or is there a particular subject that your stance has changed on for this book.. that you're willing to spoil?
Unread 05-28-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearBits View Post
Looks like you're making the book I can pass to friends and family members that will actually get read. I try to give them advice, point them to your articles and other informative sites, but that's normally all too much like hard work and nothing much gets learned. Having everything in one place might just change everything, can't wait!
If they won't read an article they aren't going to read a book.
Unread 05-29-2015, 05:10 AM

It seems like you're getting a lot more work done lately.

Did you find out some sort of method or way to become more disciplined and if so can you share?

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 05-29-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch View Post
If they won't read an article they aren't going to read a book.
I want to disagree. A book like this is a safe place, away from all of the misinformation thrown about. It's much easier to point someone at one single comprehensive book, rather than handing them a 20 page long list of legitimate articles and information sources and telling them to go to town.
Unread 05-29-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearBits View Post
I want to disagree. A book like this is a safe place, away from all of the misinformation thrown about. It's much easier to point someone at one single comprehensive book, rather than handing them a 20 page long list of legitimate articles and information sources and telling them to go to town.
The main problem with articles isn't really misinformation, it's the lack of linearity a book has. Go read an average article and you're pretty much left with something half-baked that probably has limited effect in the practical world. Read a few and you'd be hard pressed to combine them all together into a coherent diet plan.

And this is where the misinformation part comes into play, although in the paradox form of "the more you know, the less you realize you know".
Unread 05-29-2015, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Nobody has an attention span anymore. And trust me, people are just as awful at reading books as articles.
Unread 05-29-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Nobody has an attention span anymore. And trust me, people are just as awful at reading books as articles.
To be honest I'm a bit skeptical about the whole attention span thing. If we take into account the Pareto principle, would it reasonable to say that 80% of the weight you lose would come from only 20% knowledge about a proper diet, and therefore you wouldn't really need to study THAT much. I think you'd probably spend more time on trying different varieties of food and different ways of making it.
Unread 05-30-2015, 01:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losername View Post
To be honest I'm a bit skeptical about the whole attention span thing. If we take into account the Pareto principle, would it reasonable to say that 80% of the weight you lose would come from only 20% knowledge about a proper diet, and therefore you wouldn't really need to study THAT much. I think you'd probably spend more time on trying different varieties of food and different ways of making it.
Twenty percent of whose knowledge? Lyle's? The average dieter? Percentages are relative.

If any lesson is to be learned from the Pareto principle and other power law distributions, it's probably that for all the people trying to lose and keep off a substantial amount of weight/fat, very few will get it off and keep it off no matter how much knowledge they've accumulated and effort they've given. I'd imagine there's also a linear correlation between those successful few and their outlier genetics and/or drug usage. Probably more the latter since genetic freaks usually don't end up obese. Although, anyone with an a voracious appetite and lack of activity could eat past their genetic advantages. It happens to retired athletes all the time.

If anything, the key to long term weight/fat loss has very little to do with training and nutrition knowledge, and mostly to do with learning how to break bad habits and establish good habits. It's a psychological war more than a physiological war. However, that dichotomy is unnecessary, if inaccurate, since they're so intertwined.

Last edited by ColeTrain : 05-30-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Unread 05-30-2015, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losername View Post
Nothing to do whatsoever with what I said.

But tell you what read 20% of one of my articles. Think it will get you 80% of the meaning? Just every 5th word or the first couple of paragraphs.

Exactly.
Unread 05-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeTrain View Post
I'd imagine there's also a linear correlation between those successful few and their outlier genetics and/or drug usage. Probably more the latter since genetic freaks usually don't end up obese.
You are incorrect on so many levels with the above. And those that don't end up obes are NOT included in the statistics on who succesfully loses and keep if off. Neither do drugs have anything to do with it. There' a ton of data on what successful losers do and do not do, habits and such. And NONE of it has to do with what you wrote.
Closed Thread