BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Default It's TIME

Hello everyone.

I desperately need help.

My background:
47 years old, 3 kids. FEMALE. Housewife. 5'6", 190lbs. Train 5 days lifting weight and some HIIT cardio 2 x times per week.
I have been lifting weights for 6 years.
I have always been chubby, but after 2 years I was lean, ABS and good shape. 1 hour weights in the morning and 45 minutes cardio at night) looking back my calories would have been maybe 1200 or so. No fats, just protein, carbs no junk food.

My focus changed after some advice and I dropped the cardio and increased the calories after about 1 year of the weight slowly increasing I started to count my macros and really try and get in in check, it didn't come off and its been 3 years and its still not coming off.

I started at around a 2000 calorie maintenance and have slowly reduced down to 1450 calories now 150g P, 90g C, 50g F.

I have tried Fasted, Keto etc all for about 6 months or so each.

I know calories in v calories out but I am worried about dropping the calories further, should I be? as everything I have read says its bad.

Having said that, the only 2 x times I have lost weight was when I first started and I think I was on about 1200 or so calories plus a heap of cardio and the second was when I tried Avatar nutrition who started on 2000 calories and at the end I was on 1200 and I had gone from 190lbs down to 172lbs over about 6 months, but I reversed dieted out of that as I was worried the calories were too low.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am nearly at the end of fit all.

I have had a dexa scan done if those figures would help.

Thanks for reading.
Unread 08-15-2017, 06:10 AM

You're eating more than you think or burning less, if you're not losing weight.
Unread 08-15-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellurium View Post
You're eating more than you think or burning less, if you're not losing weight.
I know that's the logical answer.

But i weigh everything (have done for 2 years) and have tripled check my calorie counting on various apps, using labels on food etc. its spot on.
Unread 08-15-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglingmom71 View Post
I know that's the logical answer.

But i weigh everything (have done for 2 years) and have tripled check my calorie counting on various apps, using labels on food etc. its spot on.
So how do you count calories Out?
Unread 08-15-2017, 12:07 PM

1) Your calorie counting is inaccurate
2) Being a women with all your hormone fluctuations can effect water retention so may need to wait longer to see weight loss
3) Your maintenance is lower than you think
4) Been dieting too long (more than 6 weeks) and need a solid diet break at maintenance (month)

My guess would be 4 most likely then maybe 2 and 3. Sounds like you are counting calories correctly.
Unread 08-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
So how do you count calories Out?
Reasonable question.

Are you "netting" 1450 calories per day, or is your intake 1450 a day?

I more or less ignore calories out.

Per a random TDEE calculator with your stats:

BMR: 1514
Sedentary: 1816
Light Exercise: 2081
Moderate Exercise: 2346
Heavy Exercise: 2611

The other rule of thumb is that most will lose weight on 10 - 12 calories per day per pound which would be 1900 on the low end. Or Lyle has stated sometimes people have to do as low as 8 calories per pound to lose weight which would be 1520.

1520 (assuming this is your total intake, not net intake) would still be more than you are eating now.

Don't know the answer (unless as suggested you are subtracting too many calories for activity) but I do sympathize.

Last edited by holly70 : 08-15-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Unread 08-15-2017, 04:45 PM

You're going to have to reduce calories one way or another.

My guess is the 'Calories in' side of things is off. Even if you are accurately measuring your food, and not forgetting/underestimating things such as dressing, coffee creamer, drinks mixers, the amount of fat on meat, etc., there are still other pitfalls.

Your scale could be off (not uncommon with cheap kitchen scales.) Sometimes the apps are off-- you can see this by comparing various entries for the same food. They often differ somewhat between one entry for the same food even when matching food and serving size. They can't all be right.

Or you may have an unusually low maintenance level, or a combination of things (low maintenance, entries are off, water retention, whatever)
Unread 08-15-2017, 05:45 PM

I have 2 sets of salter scales electronic which I use. 1450 is total calories in per day.

The progression from 2000 cals to 1450 has been over been over 3 months or so, I drop 50 cals per week.

I can fluctuate 2lbs per day, but averaged out for the week I am losing about 100grams per week at the moment.
Unread 08-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
Reasonable question.

Are you "netting" 1450 calories per day, or is your intake 1450 a day?

I more or less ignore calories out.

Per a random TDEE calculator with your stats:

BMR: 1514
Sedentary: 1816
Light Exercise: 2081
Moderate Exercise: 2346
Heavy Exercise: 2611

The other rule of thumb is that most will lose weight on 10 - 12 calories per day per pound which would be 1900 on the low end. Or Lyle has stated sometimes people have to do as low as 8 calories per pound to lose weight which would be 1520.

1520 (assuming this is your total intake, not net intake) would still be more than you are eating now.

Don't know the answer (unless as suggested you are subtracting too many calories for activity) but I do sympathize.
Nobody in the WORLD reports calorie intake as net intake. It's always calorie intake per se.
Unread 08-16-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Nobody in the WORLD reports calorie intake as net intake. It's always calorie intake per se.
Maybe nobody experienced.

I've often encountered posters on MyFitnessPal that say my calories are X amount and mean that as their net after "eating back" exercise calories as estimated by the app.

And the app calorie burn numbers for exercise are pretty widely acknowledged to be overly generous.