BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-16-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglingmom71 View Post
I have 2 sets of salter scales electronic which I use. 1450 is total calories in per day.

The progression from 2000 cals to 1450 has been over been over 3 months or so, I drop 50 cals per week.

I can fluctuate 2lbs per day, but averaged out for the week I am losing about 100grams per week at the moment.
Sounds like a deficit of about 100kcal a day. Either your maintenance is 1550, you're down-regulated due to prolonged dieting or some calculation is off.
Unread 08-16-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Sounds like a deficit of about 100kcal a day. Either your maintenance is 1550, you're down-regulated due to prolonged dieting or some calculation is off.
What do you classify as prolonged dieting? How many calories are we talking?

Please don't take my posts as meaning that I am constantly on a low calorie diet. Out of the past 3 years, maybe 9 months has been under 2000 cals and and 2 months of that under 1500.
Unread 08-16-2017, 06:52 AM

Well, for some, the body can down-regulate pretty fast in terms of hormones and NEAT. Personally I experience a NEAT decrease very rapidly.

Also, a general guideline is to take a 2 week diet-break once every 6-8 weeks of dieting to make sure your body is "efficient" again.

Lastly, be aware that when you're slowly losing weight, your maintenance will also decrease slightly.

Note that I'm just throwing in some comments/variables that may explain your stall. I do not mean to insinuate anything and that all these variables may already have been considered/accounted for by your end.

Last edited by Determinism : 08-16-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Unread 08-16-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
What do you classify as prolonged dieting? How many calories are we talking?

Please don't take my posts as meaning that I am constantly on a low calorie diet. Out of the past 3 years, maybe 9 months has been under 2000 cals and and 2 months of that under 1500.
Rather than spinning your wheels, I'd personally do a 2-3 week diet break shown here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...et-break.html/

Your body sounds a bit all over the place and may be down regulated. Rather than try to find out the losing weight solution to this weird situation, start fresh (diet break) then try dieting again at 1300 or something where you'd know you will lose weight. That will eliminate a lot of what we are thinking and narrow it down to your calorie counting.
Unread 08-29-2017, 07:10 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Rather than spinning your wheels, I'd personally do a 2-3 week diet break shown here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...et-break.html/

Your body sounds a bit all over the place and may be down regulated. Rather than try to find out the losing weight solution to this weird situation, start fresh (diet break) then try dieting again at 1300 or something where you'd know you will lose weight. That will eliminate a lot of what we are thinking and narrow it down to your calorie counting.
Is 1300 calories not a good place to be? Or considering my weight it's not really am issue aa my body can always access the bodyfat for fuel if it thinks it's starving?

Any idea of a good coach who has dealt with mature females? As most people when I say I am trying to lose weight assume that I have been eating Crap all my life by the way I look. Not realising I eat clean 90% of the time and very rarely ever Ho above 10% over my calories.

Thanks.
Unread 08-29-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Is 1300 calories not a good place to be? Or considering my weight it's not really am issue aa my body can always access the bodyfat for fuel if it thinks it's starving?

Any idea of a good coach who has dealt with mature females? As most people when I say I am trying to lose weight assume that I have been eating Crap all my life by the way I look. Not realising I eat clean 90% of the time and very rarely ever Ho above 10% over my calories.

Thanks.
It isn't that your current calories are wrong, I think you may have been dieting all over the place. A good diet break for 3-4 weeks at maintenance will reset all your hormones and get you back to stable point. Once you do that, you will be able to resume losing weight at full strength

I don't know a coach but I would recommend doing that. You seem very worried, understandably, so I would do the above to take a break emotionally and physically. Once the break is over, go nuts and you'll feel much better.
Unread 08-29-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
It isn't that your current calories are wrong, I think you may have been dieting all over the place. A good diet break for 3-4 weeks at maintenance will reset all your hormones and get you back to stable point. Once you do that, you will be able to resume losing weight at full strength

I don't know a coach but I would recommend doing that. You seem very worried, understandably, so I would do the above to take a break emotionally and physically. Once the break is over, go nuts and you'll feel much better.
Thanks,
You are correct I am worried, aa I have tried everything and I feel like I am running out of time and commitment. I have been at this (weight loss) for 3 years. Considering after 2 years of going to the gym I went from chubby to ripped and the last 4 years have been a nightmare trying to back to where I was.
Unread 09-11-2017, 09:47 AM

Ok,
12 days down on the diet break of 2000 calories per day up from 1500.

I have lost 100 grams and reduced the cardio a little.

So on Thursday if things remain the same, what should I set my new calories at?

Thanks.
Unread 09-11-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Ok,
12 days down on the diet break of 2000 calories per day up from 1500.

So on Thursday if things remain the same, what should I set my new calories at?

Thanks.
1) What is your maintenance? Are you sure it is 2000? Use this as a rough guide: https://www.freedieting.com/tools/ca...calculator.htm

2) How much cardio are you doing? Are you factoring that into your maintenance? More cardio will equal a higher maintenance.

3) Id go another week so 3 weeks total. EDIT: Lyle didn't mention anything in regards to this so up to you but 2 weeks may be enough.

I wouldn't rush this break. It is stabilizing your hormones and body back to a set point. I don't know your past but it seems like you haven't had a solid break in a while.

You can diet at whatever calories you want. If you prefer to diet at 1500, do that. Lower, do that. Lyle recommends a diet break every 4-12 weeks depending on how severe the diet and your level of leanness. More severe, Id do a diet break every 2-4 weeks. Less severe, you can go longer.

Last edited by ssg10587 : 09-11-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Unread 09-11-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
You're kidding right?