BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-24-2017, 06:28 AM

Default Study shows diet break every 2 weeks causes more weight loss than regular dieting

In obese men at least. They took 2 groups of obese men and put them either on a continuous diet for 16 weeks (at 66% maintenance) or a diet of alternating 2 weeks on (66% maintenance) and 2 weeks off (maintenance). Dieters in the alternating group lost more weight. Thoughts?

EDIT: it looks like the intermittent group actually took 32 weeks, so same time in energy restriction (16 weeks) but just alternating between 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2...PhnTq1t4xZzv04

"The aim of this investigation was to compare changes in bodyweight, body composition, and REE in men with obesity inresponse to: (1) 16 weeks of continuous ER, or (2) an equivalentduration and magnitude of ER delivered intermittently asalternating 2-week blocks of ER and energy balance. In supportof the hypotheses, intermittent ER resulted in greater weight lossand greater (or a tendency for greater) fat loss, without greaterloss of FFM, than an equivalent‘dose’of continuous ER. Inaddition, despite greater weight loss, there was a significantlysmaller reduction in REE (adjusted for changes in FM and FFM) inthe INT than in the CON group, consistent with attenuation ofadaptive thermogenesis. Furthermore, although both groupsregained weight post-intervention, weight loss (reduction frombaseline) was, on average, 8.1 kg greater in the INT than CONgroup at the 6-month follow-up."

Last edited by manofsteel : 09-24-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Unread 09-24-2017, 07:14 AM

Psychological advantage?
Unread 09-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Psychological advantage?
Physiological as well.

And huh, 2 week diet break between periods of active dieting

Someone should write about that
Unread 09-24-2017, 09:56 AM

I think the interesting thing was that ree was still much higher after 6 month follow up on the alternating group than on the continuous group. When adjusted for fat and fat free mass the continuous group was -770 and the intermittent group was -255. lol to be honest I don't know if those are calories or what those numbers represent but I think it is interesting that even after gaining weight back for 6 months the people that went on a continuous diet still had negative effects on their REE.

Is this a diet strategy that could or should be implemented? I feel like 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off would help adherence as long as people didn't go crazy in the 2 weeks off. And it seems to be better in the long run.
Unread 09-24-2017, 11:54 AM

I bet the intermittment group had better success keeping the weight off long term too.

Spending 32 weeks alternating might teach them better habits and how to actually eat at maintenance, and they get to slowly become accustomed to eating at their new weight.

As opposed to doing it all in one four month shot and then having no clue how to maintain that weight, and possibly binging after dieting for so long.
Unread 09-24-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
I bet the intermittment group had better success keeping the weight off long term too.

Spending 32 weeks alternating might teach them better habits and how to actually eat at maintenance, and they get to slowly become accustomed to eating at their new weight.

As opposed to doing it all in one four month shot and then having no clue how to maintain that weight, and possibly binging after dieting for so long.
This is what I was thinking. It trains you to eat at maintenance which is an amazing skill to have post diet. Most obese people have no idea how to do this. Also increased REE (compared to 16 weeks straight dieting) is a huge plus as well.

Honestly this seems like a very good idea for dieting, though many people who need immediate results will probably be against it because it takes a bit longer.

Last edited by manofsteel : 09-24-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Unread 09-24-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
Honestly this seems like a very good idea for dieting, though many people who need immediate results will probably be against it because it takes a bit longer.
Not really a "bit longer", but double the time. Four months vs. eight months to reach your goal is a huge difference.

Which is obviously the main drawback of alternating dieting and maintenance this frequently.

I could see it being a great tool for people who are lower in body fat and only have a few lbs. of fat left to lose though. Assuming they're not up against it in terms of competing or some other deadline.

Last edited by alcahuetej : 09-24-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Unread 09-24-2017, 07:18 PM

One word. Leptin.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 09-24-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
One word. Leptin.
Another word: wrong.
Unread 09-25-2017, 09:26 PM

Actually it's correct. Thanks for your failed input. Even Lyle alluded to it dude.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 09-25-2017 at 09:35 PM. Reason: A