BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-04-2011, 07:42 AM

Default bstrong's log: cat 1, 42 yo F

I began a cycle of RFL yesterday, in advance of an event coming up in mid Feb. My current plan is to do one cycle, take a break, then start UD2.0, but I'll see where I am in two weeks.

Starting stats:

Basics
42 yo female
148.5 lbs, 5'8.75"
appx. 17% BF (estimate only, based on BF estimate thread + experience)
cat 1, weight lifter

Measurements
waist: 28"
hips: 37"
thigh: 21.75"

Targeted macros:
247g protein
<20 g. carb on nonlifting days, 30-ish g on lifting days including w/out drink
<20 g. fat (3-4 g/meal) + 10g from fish oil

Day 1:
Intake
27 g. carb, including 12g carbs while lifting, all veggies
40 g. fat, including trace in veggies and 10 g. from fish oil caps
135 g. protein
supps: 10 g. fish oil, multivitamin, calcium, glucosamine + chondroitin

Activity
Upper body workout
2.5 hours light-effort downhill skiing as part of an elementary school trip

Comments
Obviously, I need to increase my protein. I'm used to eating protein at every meal, but not 82 gram's worth. I'll have to break over the psychological hump of having just one portion: e.g., 82 grams is 2 cans of tuna, not my usual one can. (Eating more than 3 meals isn't going to work into my schedule.)

The hardest part of the day was eliminating the cream in my coffee, and not eating any fruit. I don't typically eat pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, corn, or other starchy foods, anyway. I'm not allergic to them nor am I a paleo nut; I just learned long ago that if I avoid bread & pasta, I can eat foods that I enjoy a lot more (e.g., a wider range of veggies, fruit, fattier protein sources) and still maintain my weight.

Will post "before" pics in another post, y'all can tell me if my body fat estimate was off enough to make a difference in my protein requirements.

//b. strong
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:32 AM

OK, here are "before" pics. I guessed 17% BF or so. Unless I'm way off, that's good enough for setting the protein requirements.

All were taken Jan 3, 2011.

The one of my legs is at an odd angle, but nonetheless shows my typical fat storage on hips & thighs. I don't have any expectation that I'll ever have cut thighs, but my hope is that losing a bit more BF% will even out my upper and lower body at least a smidge.

Oh, and there's no need to mention that my poses stink. I'm aware, thankyouverymuch.

//b. strong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bstrong_back_web.jpg (16.5 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg bstrong_front_web.jpg (10.0 KB, 884 views)
File Type: jpg bstrong_legs_web.jpg (12.4 KB, 608 views)
Unread 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Great place to start, b! Best of luck!
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM

Nice pictures!
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:44 PM

Hi
Great to see another lady lifter. You look fab.
I was interested in your stats. I'm 47 - around 123lbs - but only 5'5'', prob generally lighter framed. Also you have fab legs - and I have little chicken legs, something I'm working on! Good luck with your efforts - obviously you have the determination and knowledge, or you wouldn't be where you are already. What are you trying to achieve by mid Feb? Already you are a rock-star compared with most!
Ade
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsims1
Great place to start, b! Best of luck!
Thanks, sgsims1, good luck to you too. I'm jealous that your office gym has more than a few ancient cardio machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
Hi
Great to see another lady lifter. You look fab.
I was interested in your stats. I'm 47 - around 123lbs - but only 5'5'', prob generally lighter framed. Also you have fab legs - and I have little chicken legs, something I'm working on! Good luck with your efforts - obviously you have the determination and knowledge, or you wouldn't be where you are already. What are you trying to achieve by mid Feb? Already you are a rock-star compared with most!
Ade
Thanks, Ade! Good to know there's a few other "30-teen" something women on the board. I've struggled w/ the opposite of chicken legs for at least half of my adult life and it's only since I started lifting somewhat seriously that I've come to terms with them. Abs help.

I haven't set a numeric target for BF% by mid-Feb, partly because I'm just guessing where I am now and my gym's regular BF% person won't be back until late Jan. Eventually I'd like to get my BF% close to where it was a bit less than 3 years ago (pics are toward the end of the BF estimation thread). But, it took 4 months of hard dieting that time around, so it's unlikely that I'll get there by mid-Feb. I'm OK with that.

It's all just vanity at this point, anyway. Vanity, baked chicken breasts, and broccoli.

//b. strong
Unread 01-05-2011, 04:31 AM

Day 2
148 lbs (-0.5)

Intake
218 g. protein (target=247g)
21 g. carb, inc. veggies
32 g. fat, inc. 10 g. fish oil

Activity
20 min brisk walk + 30 min light cardio
oh, and I commute on foot (12 min each way)

Comments
Still a bit short on protein, but better. It seemed like I was gorging on the stuff all day. Even so, I had to chug a 2-scoops shake in the evening in order to break 200. By the time I went to bed, I felt more stuffed than I have in a long, long time, as in I-just-ate-Thanksgiving-dinner-with-all-the-trimmings stuffed. I'll search the forums to see if others have felt this.

Today (Day 3) will be a bit of a challenge. I have a work meeting over lunch in a local Indian restaurant. A buffet-style Indian restaurant. (The person who chose the venue is a bit, um, large.) Maybe I'll be lucky and there will be some tandoori chicken skewers that aren't floating in ghee. If not, I'll have to think of some excuse for not eating and just eat in my office later. I don't particularly want to get into a discussion of protein-sparing modified fasts, delightful though I'm sure it would be.

//b. strong
Unread 01-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstrong View Post
Thanks, sgsims1, good luck to you too. I'm jealous that your office gym has more than a few ancient cardio machines.

Thanks b! Yes, I am fortunate to have the equipment I have, which is perfect for the type of HIT that I practice. I'm adding pics of the individual machines that I use on training days to my log as well.

Hey, us "old folks" in our 40's need to stick together!
Unread 01-06-2011, 06:00 AM

Day 3
147.5 lbs (-1.0)

Intake
206 g. protein (target = 247)
26 g. carbs, inc. veggies
30 g. fat, inc fish oil
all vitamin supps, now including psyllium husks.

Activity
10 min brisk (ok, freezing cold) walk + 10 min general body warmup on elliptical
lower body workout (squats, RDL, leg press, leg curls, calf raises, abs, all at low volume but high intensity, i.e., "keeping the weight on the bar")
20 min light cardio

Comments
As you can see from the macros, the Day 3 lunch meeting was fine. There were no RFL-friendly options, so I just drank water. A bit awkward, at times, but not a big deal.

Speaking of water, my mouth has been super dry the last day or so. Makes it easier to get the 1-2 liters of water in.

I'm still short on protein, though. I've been eating an egg white omelet in the morning and a chicken breast at lunch (both with veggies), which is more food than I'm used to eating. But, that leaves too many protein grams to get in at dinner and dessert. Last night for dinner I had 2 chicken breasts (both carefully weighed -- 5.5 ounces each), and for dessert I had cottage cheese and a 2-scoop shake. As in Day 2, I felt stuffed to the point of being uncomfortable.

A quick tip for those of you in the northeast US: Friendship brand 1% cottage cheese has better macros than the Wegman's store brand: 16 g. vs. 12 g. protein for 1/2 c. serving. I prefer the taste of the latter, but it's all cottage cheese.

I've added psyllium husks to my supplement regime. 'Nuff said.

//b. strong
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:08 AM

Day 4
147.0 lbs (-1.5 total)

Intake
192 g. protein
27.7 g. carbs, inc veggies
23.5 g fat, inc fish oil
all vitamin supps + 2 "doses" psyllium husks

Activity
10 min brisk walk
50 min low to moderate cardio
(+ usual 24 min walking for my commute)

Comments
Still not hungry. Still feel bloated, gaseous, and like I need to spend some quality time in the bathroom. Other posters have recommended a laxative every 4 days or so; if this doesn't clear up in the next couple of days, I may have to go that route.

Still under protein recs. I ate more in the morning today, which helped, but by evening my stomach felt so full and bloated that I couldn't force down anything else. It's partly the bulk of protein on RFL, but it's also my monthly cycle. (I anticipate a weight gain tomorrow, same reason.) Bad timing, but so it goes.

I'm trying to be chill about not meeting the protein recs. The anti-cortisol diet, if you will.

I'm also noticing a bit more mental fog than usual. Opening the fridge door and forgetting why I did. Telling myself "grab your gym clothes out of your bag" before starting the laundry, and then immediately starting the laundry sans gym clothes. This morning I forgot to put the water into the coffee pot before I started it; I then compounded the stupidity by adding the water while the coffee maker was running, which caused it to "spit" coffee grounds and create a huge mess. Granted, this was 5:00 am, but I usually know better.

//b. strong

Last edited by bstrong : 01-07-2011 at 05:12 AM.