Activity
full body workout
-squats 2x6@135
-RDL 2x8@185
-bench 2x6@145
-wg pullups 8,7
-OH press 2x6@75
-leg press (my squat form is limiting) 2x8@some pin # I don't believe
-dips 1x15@BW (these were too easy; someone stole the dip belt, grrr.)
-conc curls 1x 10/10@30
-pike hanging leg raises w/pause 1x12@bw
-back ext 1x12@25
20 min cardio

Comments

Way short on protein today. Work and time-sensitive errands just got in the way of eating. Will try to pick up some of it in the morning of Day 10, i.e., as soon as I finish typing this.

The workout felt great. Maybe I needed the two full days off lifting, and virtually two full days off cardio. (I went downhill skiing yesterday afternoon, but not including time spent on the chair lift, the total work time was pretty trivial. Physically, the hardest part was ski-skating between lifts & lodges w/ The Boy hanging onto my poles.)

//b. strong
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM

try pinching a db bewteen your feet and pulling your knees towards your chest for weighted dips (assuming you dont need like 75 of added resistance or something freaky!)
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong View Post
try pinching a db bewteen your feet and pulling your knees towards your chest for weighted dips (assuming you dont need like 75 of added resistance or something freaky!)
Pre-RFL, I could do 7 reps, +/-, at 30 additional lbs. I tried using a 20 lb. dumbbell, but failed miserably at pinching it & dropped it. (I'm a bit of a klutz.) A loud clatter ensued, in an otherwise deathly silent gym. Almost scared the retiree working next to me into a heart attack, or at least he gave me a look as if I had.

Fortunately, this is just a short-term problem: my regular gym reopens Monday. I'm looking forward to bumper plates, more than one power cage, chalk, and, yes, a dip belt. (Yeah, I could just buy one for myself...)

//b. strong,
Kim
Unread 01-13-2011, 02:55 AM

oh I see, thats funny. ewww a power cage, bumper plates, AND chalk....now your making me jealous!!

PS My wife is down 2 pounds since monday, thanks for the inspiration, i have been having her read your log.
Unread 01-13-2011, 03:59 AM

Thanks for reading the log, Strong (& Strongette)!

Day 10
144.5 lbs. (-1.0,-4.0)

Intake
248 g. protein
33 g. fat, inc. fish oil
25 g. carb, inc. veggies

Activity
45 min low-intensity cardio
45 min high-intensity snow-shoveling

Comments
A double-digit day in the bag! Felt great today, partly because I was able to fit easily into a pair of pants that I haven't worn for 6 months, lest the fashion police arrest me. Women readers, in particular, will understand.

I still have a few regularity, um, irregularities, but I didn't feel nearly as stuffed as I did in the first 4 days. Hence the reason I was finally able to get in all of my protein.

The cardio was a bit tough, mentally, but I think that's because I was bored. I've always found gym-based cardio to be terminally boring, which is probably why I was able to cure myself of the cardio queen thing a decade ago.

I'm also giving myself some activity credit for all the snow shoveling I did yesterday. Our corner lot has 250 feet of sidewalks, and we're responsible for shoveling them. I was having such fun that I did the neighbors' walks, too. Good karma, there.

//b. strong
Unread 01-13-2011, 05:44 AM

Glad you had a good day! I totally get the looser clothes thing - it's a good feeling!
Unread 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM

for sure, i always include shoveling snow into my daily cardio count....nice!!!
Unread 01-14-2011, 04:44 AM

Day 11 (RFL)
144.5 lb (0.0, -4.0)

Intake
205 g. protein
28 g. fat, inc. fish oil
28 g. carb, inc. veggies
all vit supps

Activity
Rest day

Comments
I feel a drop in weight around the corner. Around the corner of my colon, that is. Soon. I hope.

I had a big deadline at work yesterday, so I stared at a computer screen most of the day. I didn't take as much food with me as I needed to, given how long I wound up being there, so I came up a bit short on protein. Again.

I've decided to stick with the high protein/low everything else diet until the afternoon of Day 12 (i.e., this afternoon, as I write this). I'll do the tension workout from UD2.0 in the early evening, then start carb loading. This will allow me to eat all day Saturday and have a power workout on Sunday.

//b. strong
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:08 AM

so i take it you are having some trouble in the number 2 dept.?? i am assuming you probably already know as it seems you have done some dieting in the past, but it is very normal with the low amount of "bulk" in your diet for this to happen. have you tried to supplement? if so, what , if anything has worked for you. i have tried several things over the years and finally have found a very specific blend of fibers that keeps me regular well into the most extreme dieting i have done.

Ps, enjoy your carb load!!! if you have time and wouldnt mind i would love to see your menu for the day and your totals, we both know oatmeal is going to be your first meal, what else you got.
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Yes, I've been constipated since about day 2. It hasn't been painful, really, just annoying. I tried psyllium husks, but I may not have gotten the dose right. I assume things will clear up in my diet break next week, if not over the weekend. It's not a common problem for me, so I'm still trying to figure it all out.

I'll try to post my carb-up "menu." This first carb-up, I'm going to take seriously Lyle's recommendation to focus on the amount of carbs, and not fret too much about the type. Oatmeal will definitely be on the list. We also have a backlog of apples and starchy veggies that we inherited from a friend's organic CSA box last week and need to start eating. Hmm, maybe I should rethink the word "backlog," in light of the first para...

//b. strong,
Kim