BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-04-2016, 11:12 AM

Default Fat loss and protein

Let me get the boring details out of the way before my question:
31 female, 5'4, and a whopping 218.6 lbs per this mornings weigh in.

Now on to my question. Just how important is protein intake when trying to lose fat? I've been training 5 days a week (1 hour lift and about 20 minutes of cardio) for the past 3 months but only managed to drop about 8 lbs. My macros are usually on point, except for my protein intake; it's normally a bit low. Could this be why I'm not seeing better/quicker results?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give!
Unread 11-04-2016, 01:09 PM

Very important but given 8 lbs in 3 months your issue is too much calories.
Unread 11-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Let me get the boring details out of the way before my question:
31 female, 5'4, and a whopping 218.6 lbs per this mornings weigh in.

Now on to my question. Just how important is protein intake when trying to lose fat? I've been training 5 days a week (1 hour lift and about 20 minutes of cardio) for the past 3 months but only managed to drop about 8 lbs. My macros are usually on point, except for my protein intake; it's normally a bit low. Could this be why I'm not seeing better/quicker results?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give!
Enormously important. But the lack thereof not slowing your gains.
Unread 11-04-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Very important but given 8 lbs in 3 months your issue is too much calories.
Thanks so much for your reply. I used one of the free macro calculators online and have been eating 89g carb, 76g fat, and 130g protein (it said to eat 173g but I usually don't eat that much protein) for about 1560 calories a day. I'm not sure where I should subtract calories from. Sorry, I'm a total macro noob.

Thanks again!
Unread 11-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Banned

Given you're cat3, you can easily do a few RFL (Rapid Fat Loss) cycles. Therefore, you can reduce both fat and carb intake.
Unread 11-05-2016, 01:44 PM

What kind of job do you have? If it is largely sedentary, your maintenance is most likely 2,000 or less. At 1560 calories a day, you are creating a deficit that would cause less than a pound of weight loss per week. 3 months = 12 weeks, so an 8 lb loss is actually right about on par with the deficit you are creating. You will invariably need to start eating less to lose weight faster. If you feel you can't lower calories any more, add some cardio in. Also, you may be underestimating caloric intake, which can take away from your deficit. When dealing with such a small deficit, any error can be make or break on if you will lose weight at all.
Unread 11-05-2016, 03:55 PM

Stupid question, having a diet that was low in protein wouldn't slow down weight loss would it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not following this type of diet or would recommend it, but just asking purely from a weight loss point of view.
Unread 11-05-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoomc View Post
Stupid question, having a diet that was low in protein wouldn't slow down weight loss would it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not following this type of diet or would recommend it, but just asking purely from a weight loss point of view.
No. Not aware that it speeds up weight loss either.

If you don't care about muscle, then you would still lose the same amount of weight. What the weight lost IS would be different though Put simply, I dont see a downside to having more protein in your diet instead of other macros. You would be losing at a higher % of fat rather than more lbm as well.

Last edited by ssg10587 : 11-05-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Unread 11-06-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
What kind of job do you have? If it is largely sedentary, your maintenance is most likely 2,000 or less. At 1560 calories a day, you are creating a deficit that would cause less than a pound of weight loss per week. 3 months = 12 weeks, so an 8 lb loss is actually right about on par with the deficit you are creating. You will invariably need to start eating less to lose weight faster. If you feel you can't lower calories any more, add some cardio in. Also, you may be underestimating caloric intake, which can take away from your deficit. When dealing with such a small deficit, any error can be make or break on if you will lose weight at all.
My job is largely sedentary, and if I wasn't at the gym for almost an hour and a half 5 days/week I wouldn't be surprised that I'm dropping weight this slowly. I average around 700-800 calories burned per workout. I'm a very analytical person and I weight out everything before I eat it (even go so far as to plan my meals out a day in advance so I can make sure I hit my macro goals), so I know it's not a tracking issue. It sounds like I originally estimated my macros incorrectly and 1560 is too much food. Dropping that lower isn't an issue; it's in fact a lot of food and I struggle to eat that much.

I have an old copy of RFL that I picked up a while ago and I'm gonna give that a shot. I think the hardest part of the diet will be not exercising every day, lol. Sorry for the lengthly reply to your post, but thanks for taking the time to reply.
Unread 11-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipartial View Post
Given you're cat3, you can easily do a few RFL (Rapid Fat Loss) cycles. Therefore, you can reduce both fat and carb intake.
Thanks. I actually have a copy of the book and plan on starting my first cycle tomorrow. Wish me luck! Not lifting 5 days/week sounds like it's going to be the hardest part for me to stick to, lol.