BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-02-2014, 07:11 PM

Since on the topic:

- are there any nutrition guidelines one on atypical anti-psychotics would benefit following, different from the normal recommendations? (body composition wise)

Or just keep the same "rules" (1g/lb; the rest carbs and fats; vegs; fruits; etc), and just expect kind of worse results since these drugs mess unfavorably with the metabolism, as i've heard?

Thanks in advance.
Unread 08-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimboldo View Post
Since on the topic:

- are there any nutrition guidelines one on atypical anti-psychotics would benefit following, different from the normal recommendations? (body composition wise)

Or just keep the same "rules" (1g/lb; the rest carbs and fats; vegs; fruits; etc), and just expect kind of worse results since these drugs mess unfavorably with the metabolism, as i've heard?

Thanks in advance.
Keep the same "rules" as you put it.

The bigger way that these drugs mess with body composition is that they cause an appetite increase (or decrease) depending on the drug. Most of the newer SSRI's usually are better at not causing an increased appetite and thus not causing weight gain. Some drugs like the DNRI, Buproprion and one other SNRI (name escapes me at the moment) are indicated for weight loss but that outcome should be far secondary if working with depression and/or anxiety.

- Louis C. K.
Unread 08-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
Keep the same "rules" as you put it.

The bigger way that these drugs mess with body composition is that they cause an appetite increase (or decrease) depending on the drug. Most of the newer SSRI's usually are better at not causing an increased appetite and thus not causing weight gain. Some drugs like the DNRI, Buproprion and one other SNRI (name escapes me at the moment) are indicated for weight loss but that outcome should be far secondary if working with depression and/or anxiety.
Thanks for the advice, Professor Caos.

1) But are you sure the effects from atypical-antipsychotics (amisulpride) are the same as those you mentioned for those antidepressants?

From some line Lyle wrote somewhere on the forum:
"Antidepressants like SSRI's are an entirely different animal than mood stabilizers or atypical antipsychotics. The latter block receptors that have a massive impact on energy expenditure, calorie partitioning and appetite; they are associated with major problems with diabetic risk and weight gain because of it."

2) Yes, this bodycomposition-meds interaction is just that at the moment for me: secondary, and curiosity.

Last edited by arcimboldo : 08-03-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Unread 08-03-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimboldo View Post
Thanks for the advice, Professor Caos.

1) But are you sure the effects from atypical-antipsychotics (amisulpride) are the same as those you mentioned for those antidepressants?

From some line Lyle wrote somewhere on the forum:
"Antidepressants like SSRI's are an entirely different animal than mood stabilizers or atypical antipsychotics. The latter block receptors that have a massive impact on energy expenditure, calorie partitioning and appetite; they are associated with major problems with diabetic risk and weight gain because of it."

2) Yes, this bodycomposition-meds interaction is just that at the moment for me: secondary, and curiosity.
I need to apologize, when I first read your last post I kind of only read what I wanted to and overlooked part of your question... sorry.

Re: atypical antipyschotics, they do antagonize D2 receptors which isn't going to help metabolic rate nor partitioning but the bigger issue I still think would be increased appetite, similar to that of lean/prolonged dieting. That said, if putting on some fat is what it takes to overcome the issues at hand, it is probably worth it.

- Louis C. K.
Unread 08-04-2014, 04:56 PM

Thank you for clarifying that to me
Unread 08-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
I need to apologize, when I first read your last post I kind of only read what I wanted to and overlooked part of your question... sorry.

Re: atypical antipyschotics, they do antagonize D2 receptors which isn't going to help metabolic rate nor partitioning but the bigger issue I still think would be increased appetite, similar to that of lean/prolonged dieting. That said, if putting on some fat is what it takes to overcome the issues at hand, it is probably worth it.
Are you in the industry or something?
Unread 08-14-2014, 02:50 AM
Banned

Arcimboldo, I don't know if you're still around, but I recommend checking out crazymeds.us. You'll get the straight dope (so to speak ;-) with science to back it up. Jerod Poore runs the site. He's hip and he's brilliant.

Also, if you're looking for an antipsychotic, ask your pdoc about Lamictal. Unlike Seroquel, it's weight-neutral which won't cause you to blow up or come down with type 2 diabetes. Lamictal can also be effective for depression, especially as an add-on.
Unread 08-14-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Stacks View Post
Arcimboldo, I don't know if you're still around, but I recommend checking out crazymeds.us. You'll get the straight dope (so to speak ;-) with science to back it up. Jerod Poore runs the site. He's hip and he's brilliant.

Also, if you're looking for an antipsychotic, ask your pdoc about Lamictal. Unlike Seroquel, it's weight-neutral which won't cause you to blow up or come down with type 2 diabetes. Lamictal can also be effective for depression, especially as an add-on.
Thanks for the suggestions; i will check the website!

I am not looking for any specific medication for myself, i dont have the knowledge to auto-prescribe. I am looking for the best treatment for me, whatever med is necessary; as i told before, at the moment my primary care is my psychological wellbeing, not weight gains or diabetes.

I want to be as much informed as possible because Docs are people like everyone else, and can make mistakes like everyone else; and this mental matters can have very serious consequences.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Unread 10-03-2014, 08:50 PM

A second recommendation for Crazy Meds. There are plenty of people there who know their stuff, they don't suffer fools, and you need to be crazy to join the forum. Because of that last requirement, I can guarantee that you will never be subjected to a "why don't you look to the root of your problems rather than meds" type of question. Or if you are, that person will be banned within 15 minutes. By definition the forum is composed of people who need meds to avoid suicide, involuntary committment and other niceties, so the rules of the forum reflect that.

Everyone there knows giving medical advice over the internet is a bad idea, so expect to find useful information that you can use in conversation with your psychiatrist to find something that works for you.

As an aside, I think it's great that you want to do your own research in order to understand your condition and the meds that treat it. The last time I was inpatient (for a depressive episode) a first-year resident was about to put me on Zoloft only. I was off meds because I was pregnant. Because I was able to reach into the recesses of my addled brain and say to him "The last time I was on anti-depressant monotherapy I ended up being taken to a hospital in the back of a police car after several months of ultradian rapid cycling," I sounded knowledgeable enough that he went to the supervising doc, who added a mood stabilizer. If I didn't know what meds I've taken and what they did, I would not have been able to do that.
Unread 10-04-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miga View Post
A second recommendation for Crazy Meds. There are plenty of people there who know their stuff, they don't suffer fools, and you need to be crazy to join the forum. Because of that last requirement, I can guarantee that you will never be subjected to a "why don't you look to the root of your problems rather than meds" type of question. Or if you are, that person will be banned within 15 minutes. By definition the forum is composed of people who need meds to avoid suicide, involuntary committment and other niceties, so the rules of the forum reflect that.

Everyone there knows giving medical advice over the internet is a bad idea, so expect to find useful information that you can use in conversation with your psychiatrist to find something that works for you.

As an aside, I think it's great that you want to do your own research in order to understand your condition and the meds that treat it. The last time I was inpatient (for a depressive episode) a first-year resident was about to put me on Zoloft only. I was off meds because I was pregnant. Because I was able to reach into the recesses of my addled brain and say to him "The last time I was on anti-depressant monotherapy I ended up being taken to a hospital in the back of a police car after several months of ultradian rapid cycling," I sounded knowledgeable enough that he went to the supervising doc, who added a mood stabilizer. If I didn't know what meds I've taken and what they did, I would not have been able to do that.
Thanks for the tips, Miga.

Yes, I found a lot of useful information there.

Hope you doing well.