BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator

when all you have is a hammer.....
Unread 05-04-2008, 07:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to Nigeepoo

Yeah yeah, I know. Eveything looks like a nail. But the stuff's dirt cheap, so isn't it worth giving it a try just on the offchance that it does make a difference if Mel meets the above criteria?

If Mel doesn't meet the above criteria (i.e. lives near the equator and/or does get out much), then there's no need to try the stuff.

Blog
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:28 PM

Default High latitudes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigeepoo View Post
Hi Mel. If you live at a high latitude and/or you don't get out much, have you tried taking 5,000iu/day of Vitamin D3?
Thanks for the info. Yes, actually I do live at a high latitude (Anchorage, Alaska, at 61 13' north), but I don't seem to be having many probs with depression right now -- mainly I think because my blood sugars aren't whacking out all over the place any more. For the past two years I've been eating a moderate-carb, low-glycemic diet with a good amount of healthy fats including the omega 3s, & I think that has helped a lot. (It helps that I love cold water fish -- I'd be a pretty sad excuse for an Alaskan if I didn't love salmon!)

Now I'm moving into low carb via the Rapid Fat Loss diet & when I go up to higher caloric levels will be using the recommendations in The Ketogenic Diet for awhile, at least until I get down to better body fat levels. (By the ranking system in the [i]Rapid Fat Loss Handbook{/i], I'm a category 3 dieter.)

Based on what I'm eating, I seem to be getting pretty good amounts of the D vitamins. I also get out into the sun a fair amount (though admittedly not as much in the dark of the year, when I frequently see the sun only on weekends).

-- Mel
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I've never looked into differences in blood brain barrier absorption of tryp vs. 5htp
I finally got around to finding a reference. Here is is, with its abstract.

-- Mel

Birdsall TC.. 5-Hydroxytryptophan: a clinically-effective serotonin precursor. Altern Med Rev. 1998 Aug;3(4):271-80. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9727088

(Full article with references is available at http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/3/4/271.pdf)

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is the intermediate metabolite of the essential amino acid L-tryptophan (LT) in the biosynthesis of serotonin. Intestinal absorption of 5-HTP does not require the presence of a transport molecule, and is not affected by the presence of other amino acids; therefore it may be taken with meals without reducing its effectiveness. Unlike LT, 5-HTP cannot be shunted into niacin or protein production. Therapeutic use of 5-HTP bypasses the conversion of LT into 5-HTP by the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase, which is the rate-limiting step in the synthesis of serotonin. 5-HTP is well absorbed from an oral dose, with about 70 percent ending up in the bloodstream. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and effectively increases central nervous system (CNS) synthesis of serotonin. In the CNS, serotonin levels have been implicated in the regulation of sleep, depression, anxiety, aggression, appetite, temperature, sexual behaviour, and pain sensation. Therapeutic administration of 5-HTP has been shown to be effective in treating a wide variety of conditions, including depression, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, chronic headaches, and insomnia.
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

???..........
Unread 05-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9_border_protection View Post
at that point of aggression showing up among ketogenic diet, questionable which "emotion" might occur among low fat 10% diet, for example - frustration, depression maybe? just for thought, depending on individual person and current psychological mood, current stress produced by environment might also influence diet success

( admin, may I? I will be decent, I promise - no games )
Quote:
as weight gain might be connected to stress ( cortisol ), I assume all later weight loss might be influenced by the bad experiences and reason for stress before. Ruling out frustration at all might improve psychological security, so the diet success also dependent on environment ( difficult as people might spit out trash, violating sometimes, depending on country )

for reducing frustration I assume a.) overall focussing to people has to be reduced and b.) overall speculating on people has to be reduced

decreased overall level of stress because massive frustration lowers a.) quality and produces b.) nervosity
both counteracting productivity of pronounced chronically
You write instruction manuals for Chinese electronics, don't you?

David
Unread 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
a.) I work with making fear instead of showing ability as making fear more efficient
b.) focusssing to me

emotional trash, provocation - interested to pay money to me due to emotional provocation without factual content on aggression?
All your fear focussing are belong to us.
Unread 05-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Administrator

please don't post drunk
Unread 05-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
please don't post drunk
Could be part of the "aggression, memory problems, even psychosis" problem on a ketogenic diet.

You and Atkins have a lot to answer for.

And he won't be answering any time soon.

David

Last edited by david : 05-21-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: psychotic spelling
Unread 09-29-2008, 07:27 PM

Lightbulb

Hi Trooper,

My "memory" problem started two years ago; I would have hard time recalling location and names, and I'd forget where I put things. At school, I'll generally feel much dumber than I used to be.

The change as pretty dramatic so I don't think I am "imagining things". To this day I am still having the same problem so I guess the effect is now permenant.

What happened to me two years ago? I can't think of anything "big" (as in traumatic event) that had happened, only that I lost 45lbs that year. I went from 175lbs to 130lbs.

But the weight loss didn't come from ketogenic or any low carb diet.

Maybe our common denominator is the rapid, large amount of weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Hello Lyle Mcdonald.

Two times followed your diet but each time when i'm in the ketogenic state i experience extreme aggression,pychosis and even now i have permanent memory problems by this diet.

have you heard this before?

Yours sincerly

Trooper.

Last edited by Summer : 09-29-2008 at 07:30 PM.