BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-28-2019, 02:22 PM

Default "Hanging" to fix shoulder issues

So i heard of this about a year ago somewhere... but then i was falling asleep to a podcast the other night when an ex marine was talking about how he had cured all his shoulder pain from "hanging"... which is basically just hanging from a pullup bar and letting it come out of socket.... i was falling asleep so i dont recall everything...

but it was stretching a bunch of stuff out... he also mentioned it positively impacting some small bone id never heard of before... he basically said that after a few weeks of this therapy it will create more room in your shoulder and dramatically decrease any impingements..

Anyway it all sounded like very good stuff and the guy was pretty convincing and it wasnt even his book he was pushing...

i dont see how hanging could really hurt as long as you don't go completely overboard or something...so i figured i would try it today... too early for any real results but the longer i "hanged" lol the more i did start to feel some new sensations particularly in my lower back...which i dont recall him specifically mentioning

Has anyone else had success trying this or know more about the science (pseudoscience?) behind this?

I'd like to add it to my routine to give it a shot.. the book he was referring to was written by John Kirsch who was a former shoulder MD who basically quit performing shoulder surgeries to tout this method instead for recovery... ill probably just buy the book to see what its all about but before i did i wanted to know if there was anything to this or if its some stupid fad nonsense

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 01-28-2019, 02:28 PM

found a 3 minute snippet of the interview i heard...reviews on amazon are good but who knows if those are real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_5xZz78P7k

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Unread 01-28-2019, 07:57 PM

Aware of it.

Personally filed under "worth a try".

Tried hanging on a door a bit. Hurt my hands, even with a towel. Got a pull up bar and actually finally installed it...because, hey, pull up bar.

In the meantime found out that I didn't have anything going on as far as the joint/bones via an x-ray.

Still lots of pain and stiffness. Think I have finally figured it out and believe it has to do with my bike set up being off.

So hopefully fixed.
Unread 01-28-2019, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Yes, clearly every shoulder problems of any sort can be caused by dislocating the shoulder.

This is dumb as hell.
Unread 01-29-2019, 01:34 AM

LOL... well i didnt expect you to mince words Lyle...

At the very least i dont see how hanging from a pullup bar cant help your grip strength and i did seem to feel a nice lower back stretch... no real shoulder sensation either way while doing it or immediately after today but it seems feasible that it might help some form of strength/flexibility in minor doses.....

i dont know the shoulder joint is very complex so i dont have a good feeling of what all is going on in there...

The part that really made me wonder though is when he said something about stretching your coracoid bone... like can you stretch a bone? lol... maybe i didnt understand exactly what he was trying to say there...

IDK for some reason im drawn to this idea... i got a lot of benefits from yoga and various APT recommended stretches... so i just kinda want to believe that hanging works...

im gonna try it a few more times just to see... as of right now my shoulder feels worse honestly..but i did also bench press today

Unread 01-29-2019, 03:47 AM

I have heard of this for shoulder health but mostly for spine health. I have never heard of anyone saying to dislocated your shoulder though??
Powerlifters or people who have their spine compressed regularly by heavy weights do it to try decompress the spine a bit. It's also recommended that you kinda rotated your body from side to side to try make it more effective.
I know Brian Alsruhe and Alan thrall both recommend it to aid recovery from heavy lifting, especially as you get older.
Don't think I have ever seen any studies done on it though
Unread 01-29-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post

IDK for some reason im drawn to this idea... i got a lot of benefits from yoga and various APT recommended stretches... so i just kinda want to believe that hanging works...

im gonna try it a few more times just to see... as of right now my shoulder feels worse honestly..but i did also bench press today
If you're having shoulder issues, bench pressing certainly isn't helping anything.
Unread 01-29-2019, 12:56 PM

did it for 2 minutes. aaand... no shoulder still hurts

there is some true in this story.
yeah it reduces jointpain, because you are stretching it!! like all other stretching exercise reduce joint pain.
stiff joint always hurt... duh..
But if you really injured... so there is really something damaged, there is no way just only hanging/stretching will suddenly poofs the injury away.

Last edited by monkey666 : 01-29-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Unread 01-29-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey666 View Post
did it for 2 minutes. aaand... no shoulder still hurts

there is some true in this story.
yeah it reduces jointpain, because you are stretching it!! like all other stretching exercise reduce joint pain.
stiff joint always hurt... duh..
But if you really injured... so there is really something damaged, there is no way just only hanging/stretching will suddenly poofs the injury away.
Hanging stretches the lats, arms, abs. Those usually don't contribute to shoulder pain. The rotator cuff is the most common offender of cranky shoulders. There are some rotator cuff specific stretches that help (Look up Eric Cressey). Foam rolling the rotator cuff is also extremely beneficial in my experience. That, and I quit barbell bench pressing for 6 months, then quit it forever
Unread 02-05-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
LOL... well i didnt expect you to mince words Lyle...

At the very least i dont see how hanging from a pullup bar cant help your grip strength and i did seem to feel a nice lower back stretch... no real shoulder sensation either way while doing it or immediately after today but it seems feasible that it might help some form of strength/flexibility in minor doses.....

i dont know the shoulder joint is very complex so i dont have a good feeling of what all is going on in there...

The part that really made me wonder though is when he said something about stretching your coracoid bone... like can you stretch a bone? lol... maybe i didnt understand exactly what he was trying to say there...

I do this as an after workout stretch. Not sure it is doing anything for my shoulder.

I don't want to jinx it but I've had good luck with my joint health by switching to dumbbells for as much as possible. I really only use barbell for rack pulls and DL anymore.

Also had some knee issues and single leg leg press has helped me a lot. The act of singling out each limb and having its own weight seems to be what is helping me most. Assuming strengthening the stabilizers also helps.