BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-08-2019, 06:30 AM

Default Spinning Bike Vs Recumbent Bike

Hey guys,

Recently I started to cycle after seeing my friend's Peleton Bike which looked awesome. I'm not going to spend that much money and get one, and I don't even need the classes. I plan to put an exercise book in my room and watch TV while I ride it. I figure it's a good way to do more cardio while just staying at home, plus it doesn't take up too much space. I've really been enjoying spinning a lot lately in addition to lifting!

My thing is, the regular bike seats are uncomfortable on my I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. sometimes. And i've only been using them for 5 minutes before my weight and 5 minutes after, so I figured for longer sessions my I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. might hurt a lot. I tried the Recumbent bike too and it has a much bigger seat and was more comfortable. So does it matter which one I use? Is one better than the other? The main difference is the recumbent bike has a bigger seat and also back support. My friend told me NOT to go with the Recumbebent because the back support makes it too easy and I should jyust get a regular spinning bike and put a gel seat on it. What do you guys thuink>?
Unread 02-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Go to a bike store and ask to try out seats. 5 minutes is really quick to be experiencing discomfort. That means you probably have a bike fit issue as well.

Gel seats aren't recommended. The usual reasoning is that the padding tricks you into thinking you aren't compressing anything. You want to sit on your buttocks, not other areas. Hard seats encourage you to sit properly because you get feedback. You should still wear padded shorts if you will be on for any length of time.

Last edited by Aathar : 02-08-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Unread 02-09-2019, 01:00 PM

If you just want to move your legs while you watch tv then the recumbent stationary bike will accomplish that.

A spin bike would give you a lot more options though and could provide more of a workout in general as you engage your core for support and can spin in multiple positions - seated, standing, and bent forward at various angles dependent on the handlebar grips.

I used a gel seat for a minute when I first tried classes before I got padded shorts. Gave up the padded shorts too after a year or so because I was more used to it and usually don't spend that long just planted on the seat in an hour class.

You might also try out a rowing machine someplace to see what you think. Also doesn't take a lot of space.
Unread 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM

I prefer the recumbent bike myself. Most of my cardio is done post-workout and I use different modalities depending on what I feel like... recumbent bike, cross trainer, and so on.

This is done for health and fitness reasons; I don't really care about the biking per se. I can be tired after weights and some of the 'easier' forms of cardio can actually be preferable. Call it personal preference/opinion or whatever, but I do agree the recumbent bike is easier than an upright one. But hey, if I'm still hitting the heart rate I'm going for, I don't see the issue if the goal is just some basic conditioning.

One concern is that most of us sit too much as it is, and the hips flexed position of the recumbent bike probably doesn't help that posture-wise.

Pros and cons... if you just want to ride while watching TV then the recumbent bike does seem to fit that bill, the comment about posture notwithstanding. Just be aware that going back to the regular bike can be quite a shock because of the seat, core activation, and even the different joint angles.
Unread 02-11-2019, 09:20 AM

I prefer the recumbent bike myself. Most of my cardio is done post-workout and I use different modalities depending on what I feel like... recumbent bike, cross trainer, and so on.

This is done for health and fitness reasons; I don't really care about the biking per se. I can be tired after weights and some of the 'easier' forms of cardio can actually be preferable. Call it personal preference/opinion or whatever, but I do agree the recumbent bike is a little easier than an upright one at a given heart rate.

One concern is that most of us sit too much as it is, and the hips flexed position of the recumbent bike probably doesn't help that posture-wise.

Pros and cons... if you just want to ride while watching TV then the recumbent bike does seem to fit that bill, the comment about posture notwithstanding. Just be aware that going back to the regular bike can be quite a shock because of the seat, core activation, and even the different joint angles.
Unread 02-20-2019, 02:55 PM

recumbent bike is a much better choice IMO... a lot more benefit to using the recumbent bike for postural reasons... regular bikes leave you flexed at the hip and are bad for anterior pelvic tilt... the recumbent bike seated position alleviates a lot of those issues

you can also change the distance your seat is to get better hamstring work on a recumbent bike which will improve your postural issues also..

on top of that the recumbent bike is 100x more comfortable which will allow you to do it longer and more frequently.... plus its great for watching a movie, sports, etc...

just pick a show you want to binge watch and say "everytime i watch an episode ill do so on the bike" and boom you're skinny in 4 weeks

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.