BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-14-2018, 12:04 PM

Default Pullup Form? Forearm Pain.

Never used pull-ups as a part of my strength training on the regular until recently. I just did lat pulldowns. Currently I can only do five pullups, yet when I do them I get this stinging pain in the top(the part responsible for extension) of my forearm.

My chin-ups are pain free, I can do 8+ pain free. However as soon as I change to pull-ups the pains starts.

How do I fix this? Is it my form?
Unread 04-14-2018, 08:00 PM

Umm, I don't think this can be an issue of form, unless you're doing goofball pull-ups. It's a pretty natural yet awkward movement. Maybe you should just do chin ups, since they don't hurt you, and they're barely different. I prefer chin ups. I used to do them with 90 pounds hanging from my waist. Hurts my shoulder, so I don't go so hard, anymore. I do pull-ups sometimes, but there's not really any point. I'm better served by cable rows+chins. Those are easier, and I can progress pain-free.

You could look at what you're doing with your forearms before pull-ups, maybe. There could be an issue there.
Unread 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Umm, I don't think this can be an issue of form, unless you're doing goofball pull-ups. It's a pretty natural yet awkward movement. Maybe you should just do chin ups, since they don't hurt you, and they're barely different. I prefer chin ups. I used to do them with 90 pounds hanging from my waist. Hurts my shoulder, so I don't go so hard, anymore. I do pull-ups sometimes, but there's not really any point. I'm better served by cable rows+chins. Those are easier, and I can progress pain-free.

You could look at what you're doing with your forearms before pull-ups, maybe. There could be an issue there.
If I do switch to just chin-ups would the grip width need to be same as pullups for back development, or is the narrow grip fine?
Unread 04-16-2018, 11:28 AM

Is the pain by your elbow? If so it could possibly be tennis elbow, would need a lot more to be able to know for sure. My golfers elbow flares up bad when I do chin-ups if I am not consistently doing eccentric work to keep it at bay.
Unread 04-16-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
If I do switch to just chin-ups would the grip width need to be same as pullups for back development, or is the narrow grip fine?
Figure about shoulder width grip for chin ups, somewhat wider for pull ups.

Chin ups work the extension function of the lats whereas pull ups work lats via adduction. If you try to take chin ups as wide as you would medium overgrip pullups there's a good chance it will jack up your wrists.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 04-16-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Unread 04-16-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkr View Post
Is the pain by your elbow? If so it could possibly be tennis elbow, would need a lot more to be able to know for sure. My golfers elbow flares up bad when I do chin-ups if I am not consistently doing eccentric work to keep it at bay.
Not near the elbow, just all over the top of my forearm. Myofascial release on the forearm seems to only temporarily help.
Unread 04-16-2018, 07:56 PM

It's hard to diagnose injuries and pain during movements over the internet. There's a lot going on in the forearm with numerous overlapping muscles and structures. Practical advice would be to just stick with chins and whatever else you can do pain free (over grip lat pulldown?)
Unread 06-04-2018, 08:57 PM

Yeah i cant think of anything technique related that would cause forearm pain... usually pullups result in golfers elbow from people not concentrating on elbow alignment.

I'd watch some videos on pullups to see if there's anything you're not doing... but more than likely you've got some sort of forearm ailment that needs time to heal.

I like to do both because of the different angles and muscle groups targeted but this isn't a pain that's just going to go away if you keep doing them when it hurts

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 06-04-2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: a
Unread 06-04-2018, 09:31 PM

Unless I missed it, OP, I don't think you mentioned...is this pain on just one side, or is it affecting both arms? When I first read your post I assumed both arms, but noticed that every time you mentioned your "forearm" you used the singular form. Could be significantly different potential causes depending on if we're talking one arm versus both arms having the pain.