BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-01-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
Thanks for the advice. I measured my leap tonight (via chalk on fingers and tape measure) and clocked in at a pathetic 22 inches.
I remember hitting near 30 as a teenager before I even started lifting weights, lol.

Also yeah, I'm white.
I don't think it would take too much to improve on 22. I reckon you could go to say 25 inches in a couple months proper dedicated training
Unread 03-01-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
I don't think it would take too much to improve on 22. I reckon you could go to say 25 inches in a couple months proper dedicated training
Yes, that's what I was going to say.

In one year he could easily add 5 inches to his leap. Again, this depends on age.
Unread 03-01-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Vertical leap declines with age, that's normal.

If you're in 30's that's a solid leap.
welp, I haven't jumped much since then

early 30s yeah

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 03-03-2018, 06:07 PM

Lots of things seem to work for vertical. Most good weightlifters seem to have a huge vertical and they are very strong and do explosive lifts obviously. Then you have tons of dancers, sport karate people, and parkour people etc who can jump very well and probably just jump a lot and have low body weight (and the high levels of those activities probably select for jumping ability). D1 basketball players are generally very strong.
Unread 03-06-2018, 10:14 PM

I've been practicing jumps near the rim, box jumps, squatting heavy...

and my vertical went down by like 3 inches.

Are my legs just tired/a bit over-trained at the moment?

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 03-07-2018, 03:17 AM

Probably. Seriously, when your squat has gotten to where it is, squatting won't help you jump. Jumping will. Try squatting less and jumping more. It's mostly neurological. Way mostly. That's why weak guys can jump higher than you. That's all.
Unread 03-07-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Probably. Seriously, when your squat has gotten to where it is, squatting won't help you jump. Jumping will. Try squatting less and jumping more. It's mostly neurological. Way mostly. That's why weak guys can jump higher than you. That's all.
+15
Unread 06-26-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
I've been practicing jumps near the rim, box jumps, squatting heavy...

and my vertical went down by like 3 inches.

Are my legs just tired/a bit over-trained at the moment?
I kinda wrote longer post but session logged out...

To sum it up:
I increased my vertical since January for 20cm / 7.8 inch
What I did every session: core workout + legs (elastic bands only) + pylometric (3x week)
Regeneration: Take a break 1 whole week after 3 weeks of such workout
How many periods I did: 4 periods (so 4 months)

I'm white 178 lbs at 6 foot around 15% BF, 31y old. Favoring endurance genetics, hence not much muscle mass.
Unread 06-28-2018, 05:18 PM

Unfortunately your vertical leap is primarily genetic and there's really not much of anything you can do to make it better.

You can try plyometrics, squats, power cleans, calf raises, and losing fat to squeeze just a little bit more of your genetic potential, but the results are minimal.

An average vertical for an athlete is about 24". It's not going to go much higher than that if you're in that ballpark sorry. Maybe there are some steroids out there that could help, I don't know haven't seen the research.

Black people can jump higher because their calves are small and the insertion point is higher up on their legs. They have trouble growing their calves for bodybuilding, but this gives them a big advantage in jumping.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-29-2018, 10:53 PM

Doesnt Kelly Baggett have an entire books and series solely on increasing the vertical jump? Or is it considered outdated?