BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Banned

Default Form check for oly press

I'm trying to do something that's not strict press, but doesn't turn into a power jerk either (when I put more weight on my push presses it slowly transforms into a power jerk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgbb_PNX3XA
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:23 AM

If you pause the vid @ 0:05 at the start of the first rep, and watch it frame by frame in slow motion, you will notice that the bar is too far out in front of your body. This happens again on the second rep @ 0:11, only there it's worse since you lose your balance.

You need to set your stance in place and keep it there. It is the foundation of support in any overhead lift. The bar should be kept close to your body, and the bar path should travel straight up. Once you get your head out of the way, you must strive to remain under the bar, otherwise you'll lose efficiency.

If you're trying to do a modified Olympic style press, you need to at least have more hip snap. The Oly press itself is a rather dynamic lift and requires a lot of practice to get the right timing down.

First try fixing your stance and driving the bar straight up. Also, try to maintain tightness throughout your whole body. Think of yourself as a coiled spring waiting to explode. Then, you can begin to work on a more dynamic hip snap and layback. Right now, you're too loose for that.

Cheers!