BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-20-2019, 07:12 AM

Default weight training depression advice

Been training for many years, first few were bodybuilding style workouts, for the past few years I've been doing lower volume higher intensity closer to GBR style.

Something has been happening to me the past year where just going through a normal workout leaves me depressed and excessively fatigued for the next few days. I feel anhedonic, tired and appetite cravings for the next day or 2.

I cut down to 2x a week for the past few months, here is an example of a workout:

OHP: 3 x 6-8 rpt
Weighted chins 3 x 6-8 rpt
neck curls 2 x 12-15

Even doing a simple workout like this leaves me run down the next day. I've tried lowering the intensity to about rpe 8-9 but I can't imagine dropping anymore as I cannot stand doing high volume fluff work.

I read on the forums Lyle recommended tyrosine, I've tried about 1.5 - 2g pre workout with caffeine but it seems to potentiate my workout more, such that i actually feel more fatigued post workout. When i was younger i could do high volume training 5 days a week and feel the endorphins and "high", now I'm 25 and i feel I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.ty after a workout like this 2 days a week.

Is there any other supplements i can take, or any advice from anyone who's gone through this. I'm about this close to giving up weights and doing bodyweight training
Unread 08-20-2019, 07:14 AM

You should probably go see a doctor
Unread 08-20-2019, 09:04 AM

It really is pretty much impossible for any of us to make any meaningful guesses as to what might be going on and what to do about it. We don't know your overall health, any pre-existing conditions, diet, what you do for work (exhaustive physical labor vs desk job, for example), etc. But at only 25, this certainly doesn't sound right. I would echo skywalkr's suggestion that a visit to the doctor is probably the next best step at which he or she will hopefully order at least the basic labs (CBC, CMP) and preferably take it a step further (major hormones, urinalysis, global inflammatory markers) just to make sure some condition or illness isn't weighing you down. Based on what you mention, a mental health screening might not be a bad idea either. I myself suffer from depression...thankfully fully controlled at the moment...and as I'm sure others can confirm, it's amazing how strongly and how negatively some mental disorders can affect one's physical sense of health and well being. You can be what standard blood work would say is 'perfectly healthy' in an internal, physical sense, but yet feel like total junk (weak, tired, listless) nonetheless.

Good luck, and if you find out what's going on and don't mind sharing, I'd be interested to hear what it is/was.
Unread 08-21-2019, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Stop grinding out every set to failure as a start. Or take a week off
Unread 08-26-2019, 12:51 AM

Hello.

I thought to asks similar question regarding my bipolar /shizoaffecti. disorder (so i had manic, depressive, shizophrenic compounds), in the past i had fear to talk about those stuff to people, but now i feel better here, because lyle has same problem (or similar):

now i am stable since maybe 9-12 months, but not absolute stabil, sometimes my thoughts are confused, i guess lyle knows what i mean, its similar to him.

Fatigue is a general problem. It sucks.

My concern now is my regeneration. I had problem with fatigue too.
I am doing full body workout 3 times/week.

I cannot tolerate it easily. And all those Board/Forumpeople (german board) telling me "dont be a little boy, do that, just shut up and train".

So ok, i have no problem with it, if fatigue declines in the future. But my concern is it really my central nervous system , training stresses CNS, and my psychiatric disorder makes my CNS (in my thinking) not so stabil like a normal lifting guy.

So - maybe lyle, or other ppl her - what would your advice? Adjusting training frequency from 3 Full Body to 2 Full Body?

I feel best with upper Lower. But since O/L 3 times a week seems not to be sufficient, and since this number of days are stress too for my CNS, i feel unsure about training.

I feel generally unsure regarding sport/training, so sorry if my posting is not clear.

I would be thankful for advice, maybe of Lifter with same disorder. Thanks David

PS: Medication 0-0-40 Ziprasidone

PPS: unfortunaly i tend to perfectionsm

Last edited by Tcrazyjam : 08-26-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Unread 08-26-2019, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Mental illness/medication is not 'being a baby'. Ignore those people

Either go full body 2X/week or upper/lower alternating 3X/week so everything gest hit every 5th day
Unread 08-27-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrazyjam View Post
Hello.

I thought to asks similar question regarding my bipolar /shizoaffecti. disorder (so i had manic, depressive, shizophrenic compounds), in the past i had fear to talk about those stuff to people, but now i feel better here, because lyle has same problem (or similar):

now i am stable since maybe 9-12 months, but not absolute stabil, sometimes my thoughts are confused, i guess lyle knows what i mean, its similar to him.

Fatigue is a general problem. It sucks.

My concern now is my regeneration. I had problem with fatigue too.
I am doing full body workout 3 times/week.

I cannot tolerate it easily. And all those Board/Forumpeople (german board) telling me "dont be a little boy, do that, just shut up and train".

So ok, i have no problem with it, if fatigue declines in the future. But my concern is it really my central nervous system , training stresses CNS, and my psychiatric disorder makes my CNS (in my thinking) not so stabil like a normal lifting guy.

So - maybe lyle, or other ppl her - what would your advice? Adjusting training frequency from 3 Full Body to 2 Full Body?

I feel best with upper Lower. But since O/L 3 times a week seems not to be sufficient, and since this number of days are stress too for my CNS, i feel unsure about training.

I feel generally unsure regarding sport/training, so sorry if my posting is not clear.

I would be thankful for advice, maybe of Lifter with same disorder. Thanks David

PS: Medication 0-0-40 Ziprasidone

PPS: unfortunaly i tend to perfectionsm
I have found that I make my best "gainz" on a full body twice per week workout frequency. I have experimented with going to 3 times and I just can't recover as well.

The other alternative as outlined by Lyle is an alternating upper lower:

So say you are training Monday, Wednesday, Friday you would do upper on Monday lower on Wednesday and then upper on Friday. following week would be lower on Monday upper Wednesday and lower again on Friday. then start the cycle again

I think both are good for natural trainees.

Remember that some of the people telling you to just suck it up and train might be on PEDS which drastically increase recovery ability and offset the crash in hormones that you can get when you are overtrained.

forget what the other people say you should do, find something that works for you.
Unread 08-27-2019, 06:45 PM

Thanks so much, not only for this advice, but also for your understanding of my situation.
Maybe i will do a log in the future here, because in the german board the ppl are stupid and telling me bad things unreflective from a standpoint of a healthy guy all the day, and i cannot tolerate training stress/stimulus because i am dieting.
But i want point out, that i will refer to training as training log, and that i not will doing a rfl or any ketogenic alternative, since that is not going well with my disorder.
Its not easy to balance diet and training, since i am overweight too, but i think reducing training frequency to tolerate stress on cns and to begin my diet moderatly, could be fine at the beginning.
now i am at 1600-1800 cal a day (sorry for beeing offtopic, short...) and those people are bashing me at the german board of eating like a little boy, and maybe they are right, because of my fatigue etc. but esp. i read things like that:

ketogenic (psmf /rfl is sort of)and psychiatric disorder is not a good idea. brain need carbs.

Is this correct? Since i am at 221 lbs rfl with 2 proteinshakes (along with glucomannan) and 2 lowcarb highproteinmeals could be acoporated. This is a very important topic to me, and i am aiming to do 2 rounds rfl with each 6 weeks = 12 KG fatloss after i hit a trainingstimulus which is ok.

Yet i am still at week 3 and my weights are ok, i supplement creatine not regularally, but i try to hit the 5x5 region. Since this is a crucial factor in severe calorie deficits. But its the main question regarding ketogenic and bipolar, and whether these short interventions could well tolerated or not.

For me there are two solutions therefore: Either rfl (2 x6 weeks) or 3/4 years of dieting with jojo and diet breaks, i all now that.

i will move from 3 to 2 Fullbody Routines first or alternate with 1xFullbody and 1x lower, 1x upper ....and eat more carbohydrates with low G.I. like beans and legumes in the meantime, for recovery.

I hope its ok for this time to go offtopic since trainingstress and diet interact, supercompensation model.

Thank you

Last edited by Tcrazyjam : 08-27-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Unread 09-04-2019, 05:06 AM

Ive done lyles routine, so far it was amazing and i felt i had almostly nothing done! pute weight on the bar and i hit my numbers. felt great (while doing rfl too), no fatigue like in the past with typical volume/frequency advice plus more calories.

Will see if it persists

thanks Lyle McDonald.
Unread 09-07-2019, 01:20 PM

@Tcrazy I would say that throughout my training history, a two way split done three days per week has been my favorite and most productive style of training I've done in the long-run. Anything I sacrifice in the short-term from more frequent training has been more than made up by improved recovery, motivation, not getting sick or injured etc. A lot of people who I respect think similarly.

This encompasses Lyle's GBR done ABA BAB style, DoggCrapp done the same, and many other programs. It also covers some ABA (not repeating) imbalanced programs that I've programmed myself, where generally the A bodyparts get trained twice a week to improve, and B gets trained once a week to maintain. There are many ways to tweak it beyond this.

3x Full body has always been tough if all 3 workouts are hard. When I do it, I'd generally undulate through them (medium, high, low reps) but if you're going near failure on all of them, it's still hard on recovery.

2x Full body isn't my favorite way to train but it is nice for scheduling purposes. You can do that featuring different lifts/movement patterns though so it's more like full body-ish. Again many ways to tweak it.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 09-07-2019 at 01:25 PM.