BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-08-2018, 03:55 PM

Default Can I trust food labels?

Planning on a two week maintenance break and would like to take a few liberties without the usual ocd calculations and weighing all my food. So let's say I wanted to go to IHOP and being that they're a franchise they have their macros posted online. Can I trust these numbers to fit in my planned diet break accordingly?

Of course IHOP is just one example but in general, can food labels in the US be trusted for the most part?
Unread 04-08-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymoose View Post
Planning on a two week maintenance break and would like to take a few liberties without the usual ocd calculations and weighing all my food. So let's say I wanted to go to IHOP and being that they're a franchise they have their macros posted online. Can I trust these numbers to fit in my planned diet break accordingly?

Of course IHOP is just one example but in general, can food labels in the US be trusted for the most part?
You said you wanted to take some liberties with ocd calculations. Just assume they will be fine. Even if they aren't I can't imagine it making it any real world difference. They will be close enough, especially for maintenance where eating slightly above can actually be beneficial.
Unread 04-08-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
You said you wanted to take some liberties with ocd calculations. Just assume they will be fine. Even if they aren't I can't imagine it making it any real world difference. They will be close enough, especially for maintenance where eating slightly above can actually be beneficial.
So after my post I went to IHOP and had one of their gourmet type pancakes I saw a commercial for...I looked at the nutritional info and it said they had 148 grams of carbs for this particular flavor. There were four medium sized and covered in a caramel sauce.

When I carbload I usually do so with the "just add water" kind of pancakes and I weigh them as accurate as possible to get 150 grams of cho and it's not that much pancakes. This leads me to believe that the IHOP numbers are wayyyy off...they had to be 250-350 by comparison to mine. I just read that manufacturers are allowed a margin of error +/- 20%. With that said I'd still be shocked if these only had 180 carbs.

I think food labels when making something from scratch are more accurate than food labels from something already prepared by the manufacturer and especially from a chain restaurant...I guess I'll just have to use common sense when eating at one of these places, if it doesn't seem right it probably isn't.

Then again, I agree with you about eating slightly above maintenance being beneficial so might as well enjoy...it's only 2 weeks
Unread 04-09-2018, 08:37 AM

I don't know about IHOP specifically. That said, thinking back to when I worked in restaurants in my bodybuilding-obsessed teenage years, and just generally being aware of portion sizes/nutrition information since then, I can say that listed nutritional information often has little relation to what you're actually getting.

Quote:
When I carbload I usually do so with the "just add water" kind of pancakes and I weigh them as accurate as possible to get 150 grams of cho and it's not that much pancakes. This leads me to believe that the IHOP numbers are wayyyy off...they had to be 250-350 by comparison to mine. I just read that manufacturers are allowed a margin of error +/- 20%. With that said I'd still be shocked if these only had 180 carbs.
This doesn't surprise me. Figure cheap ingredients (flour in the case of pancakes, sugar and vegetable oil in general) are likely to be used superfluously.
Unread 04-09-2018, 10:50 AM

This expands on the topic a little more: http://www.berkeleywellness.com/heal...calorie-counts
Unread 04-10-2018, 12:06 PM

There is a lot of -ish in this world.

FWIW prepackaged is likely to be a bit more reliable simply because of the factory/machine process. It isn't profitable to overfill packages.

At a restaurant I highly doubt that the employees squeezing mayo on the burger bun, scooping cheese on to a burrito, or putting soft serve in a cone are doing any kind of exact measurement.

Enjoy your 2 weeks.
Unread 04-10-2018, 05:22 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
There is a lot of -ish in this world.

FWIW prepackaged is likely to be a bit more reliable simply because of the factory/machine process. It isn't profitable to overfill packages.

At a restaurant I highly doubt that the employees squeezing mayo on the burger bun, scooping cheese on to a burrito, or putting soft serve in a cone are doing any kind of exact measurement.

Enjoy your 2 weeks.

Agreed, especially if they work on tips

I am a low carber by nature, I just find it way easier to control my diet and I like the alertness I feel from it versus the lethargy I get from eating carbs. I drive for a living and refeeds and my work doesn't mix well...basically feels like being stoned to me.

My plan for these two weeks are to continue low carbing throughout the day, almost psmf, and then have a couple of carb heavy meals rounded with some fats to put me at maintenance or slightly above. I figure it doesn't matter doing this way as long as I'm hitting my daily maintenance requirements. Just an easier way for me not to lose control of the carbs and also will be easier to return to my cut. Cheers