BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Default I am at my wit's end, what the hell??! Blood Glucose meters suck!

I think the blood glucose levels they say is required for ketosis have to be total BS and it has really screwed me up this week. I know for a fact that I can't get down below 60 because after eating only trace carbs for eight days my blood glucose was 91 two days ago when I got up in the morning. That is 11 points higher than it was the morning before I started this diet when I was eating massive carbs and sugar (80). I test several times a day and the lowest reading I have been able to get this past week is 69. So the last two days I said screw it and I ate nothing but Philadelphia cream cheese. I mean NOTHING else. This morning my blood glucose level was 89. 89!!! What the f@#$$! That is after 10 days of nothing but hamburger meat, olive oil, cheese, and eggs(including the last 2 days of nothing but cream cheese). I thought, "this can't be right the meter must be broke", so I went to the pharmacy and bought another blood glucose meter. It gave me almost the same reading. I am, however, showing "Moderate" purple on my urine ketone strips. The strips never go past moderate. One thing that makes me think that I really am only on the edge of ketosis is that I have felt like crap the whole time and people say that you feel pretty good once you get over the "hump". Apparently my "hump" is taller than Mount Everest...

Is it possible to show ketones in your urine when your blood sugar is at 90?

Is is possible that glucose meters are made for diabetics and designed to be more accurate at the higher range 150 - 300??? Has anyone gotten a really low reading on one of these things?

Or is it possible that I am a mutant freak of nature with an unnatural ability to perform massive gluconeogenisis?

Feedback greatly appreciated!
Unread 03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Administrator

This got discussed like 2 days ago, blood glucose on a ketogenic diet will rarely fall much below low normal, about 75-80. You simply won't see much lower than that.

Where Duchaine got 50 I have no idea but he was simply wrong about it.
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM

[quote= I am, however, showing "Moderate" purple on my urine ketone strips. The strips never go past moderate. [/QUOTE]

Don't have the book in front of me, but I thought it indicated that trace amounts are sufficient? More (darker the color) isn't necessarily better?

I'm pre-diabetic. Usually see my fasting levels in the 100s. Thrilled to wake up and see in the mid 80s.
Unread 03-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJT View Post
Don't have the book in front of me, but I thought it indicated that trace amounts are sufficient? More (darker the color) isn't necessarily better?
To quote myself: "Please keep in mind that ketosis results in ketonemia...ketones in the blood...but when you pee on the stick, you are testing for ketonuria...ketones in the urine. Not the same thing. You can easily be in ketosis but not spilling any ketones in your urine 'cause you're burning them all for energy."
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:06 PM

The test are not that great, as noted in "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle. If you are going to use them any color pink or higher is a sigh that you're in ketosis. Once your body produces ketones you're good. The amount of ketones doesn't mater. The colors will fluctuate throughout the day for different reasons. Besides, once you reach ketosis you'll never use the test again because you'll know how your body feels and the focus ability of your mind will go from super blank to around back to normal.

If you are going to use the ketogenic diet I'd recommend you to buy the book. It's an extreme type of diet that could cause damage if done wrong and Lyle tells you whats up in his book.
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:18 PM

yeah, I eat pretty low carb and I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post., my bloodsugar last night was 140 after a meal of only 10 gms of carbs, so it really means nothing...

Although a while back, I went to a lab to get routine blood work done and they called me to tell me my bloodsugar was 42 . Funny thing was, that morning I wasn't feeling so bad (as I had been the prior two days)

I had maybe 3-4 low readings like that from labs, in the past 1-2 years, now my bloodsugars are higher and my carbs are even lower now. Go figure!
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:50 AM

ISO ONE TOUCH BLOOD GLUCOSE MONITOR coupon.
LMK what to want for trade.