BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-21-2017, 01:13 PM

Default Recovery after 2-month cut

I am about to complete a 2-month cut, losing about 12-13 lbs (4.4 lbs of which is probably due to glycogen depletion). I did not do refeed days at all, and lost about 1.5 lbs per week. I started at 171 lbs (6 ft tall) and am finishing at around 158-159 lbs. Intense weight training and 30 minutes of treadmill at about 65-70% max heart rate was performed throughout. I am fairly certain that I lost some muscle mass, beyond just glycogen depletion, since my end body fat percentage will most likely be <10%.

Starting body fat % via DEXA is 13.1% final is TBD (est. 9.5-10%).

My question:

1. I have certainly felt the effect of the diet on my hormone levels. Assuming I go back to maintenance pretty quickly at the end of the diet, how long would it take for my hormones to fully recover?
2. How long would it take for any metabolic adaptation/down-regulation to recover so that my maintenance calories become inline with my new weight?
3. How long would it take to recover any FFM (specifically muscle mass) that I lost on the diet (beyond just recovering the muscle glycogen, which would happen pretty fast and I am not worried about this aspect)? I am more concerned about any muscle loss beyond glycogen depletion and how long that takes to recover assuming a slight calorie surplus and a good weight training program.
Unread 12-22-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpEars View Post
1. I have certainly felt the effect of the diet on my hormone levels. Assuming I go back to maintenance pretty quickly at the end of the diet, how long would it take for my hormones to fully recover?
About 2 weeks.

Quote:
2. How long would it take for any metabolic adaptation/down-regulation to recover so that my maintenance calories become inline with my new weight?
About 2 weeks.

Quote:
3. How long would it take to recover any FFM (specifically muscle mass) that I lost on the diet (beyond just recovering the muscle glycogen, which would happen pretty fast and I am not worried about this aspect)? I am more concerned about any muscle loss beyond glycogen depletion and how long that takes to recover assuming a slight calorie surplus and a good weight training program.
About 2 w..... just kidding. It depends how much LBM you've lost, how you train and how you measure LBM in the first place. Performance is not equal when training with a lower body weight. Try to measure it as relative strength to have some indication. Also, you will gain some strength back after your diet. When those strength gains occur, you know where you stand in terms of LBM/performance. Note that cutting/bulking is about going 1 step back to go 2 steps forward. How long those 2 steps take depends on your training, diet and genes.