BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-21-2017, 02:16 PM

Default When to Go from Deficit to Recomp calories?

Hello

I would like some advice on when to change from dieting for fat loss to a weight training, recomposition intake

Briefly, I started out in July 2017 with 140lbs to lose and suffering from a host of conditions (metabolic and others). Anyway, 155 days later I have shed all the medical issues and am 73lbs from target weight. I am currently on day 2 of the 'Full diet Break'

I should point out that I've been highly trained and de-trained multiple times over the last 30 years so I should be an excellent candidate for re-composition.

I'm intending to go all the way to full fitness in 2018 which will mean shedding the remaining fat. However, I do not want to end up a scrawny little 150lb guy

Question: how far out from target weight (or body fat %age) should I change from deficit to recomposition level calories?

I'm thinking with 30lb to go I could start doing much heavier weight training, eat higher calories (maintenance with high protein). But maybe I should drop more fat first?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Unread 12-21-2017, 06:38 PM

This is me being far from the expert here but I think if your fitness and confidence is there. There’s no reason to now start heavier lifting now. I would definitely think once you hit 30% body fat it’s time to start.
Unread 12-22-2017, 01:37 AM

IMO drop the fat first. Nobody wants to carry around 30% fat or more. Both from an aesthetic standpoint and for health reasons.

Also, when you're leaner, muscle mass is much more noticeable, so you don't feel like wasting your time in the gym.

My personal opinion about priorities: health > aesthetics > performance > ego
Unread 12-22-2017, 06:23 AM

Thanks

I'm already a thick set, quite well muscled guy. Competed in combat sport for 30 years.

Yes getting the fat off will be good for my long term health so you could argue stripping down to 12% fat first would be good. That's probably 250 to 300 days of deficit away. Most of the fat is around my mid-section

Enjoying the diet break! Got so much energy
Unread 12-22-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
IMO drop the fat first. Nobody wants to carry around 30% fat or more. Both from an aesthetic standpoint and for health reasons.

Also, when you're leaner, muscle mass is much more noticeable, so you don't feel like wasting your time in the gym.

Second all of this
Unread 12-22-2017, 08:04 AM

And adding on to what all has been said the true recomp is a bit of a pipe dream and only really accomplished with complex diet setups like UD2. At your stage just the muscle memory, heavy lifting and eating more protein than before will recomp you some even in a deficit.
Unread 12-28-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post

thanks

my priorities are health and performance (planning to compete in over 50s combat in 2019)

looks and ego barely registering any priority at my age
Unread 12-28-2017, 01:19 PM

From my vantage point you have your head screwed on straight. Good luck crushing it in 2019.

Health>performance>aesthetics>ego - although ego and performance can be hard to separate at times.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster1967 View Post
thanks

my priorities are health and performance (planning to compete in over 50s combat in 2019)

looks and ego barely registering any priority at my age