BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-13-2008, 02:42 AM

Default The Protein Book Review

Hello! I'm Tony and I review things. Let's preface this review with the statement "I'm not an expert\guru\super-fantastic 5000 smart guy". My limited qualifications consist of pursuing my bachelors in Health and Sports Science, being a UFPT (unit fitness and performance monitor) in the United States Air Force, and handful of smatterings in different athletic persuits. I'm a career Airman and the general plan is to retire from the service and move into a personal trainer\coach. I write reviews not because I'm particularly good at it, but because I feel their is a lack of integrity and quality work in the industry. Too often people simply overcharge for mediocre or poor products and I didn't see anyone else presenting real feedback\advice to consumers. After mounting frustration I decided that'd if the "experts" wouldn't do it, then maybe an average Joe could. You can find this and other reviews at my blog http://tonyreviews.wordpress.com/

Who is this guy and what is this product?

Quote:
Lyle McDonald has been interested in all aspects of human performance physiology since becoming involved in competitive sports as a teenager. Pursuing a degree in Physiological Sciences from UCLA, he has devoted nearly 20 years of his life to studying human physiology and the science, art and practice of human performance, muscle gain, fat loss and body recomposition.

The Protein Book
What does this product claim?

Quote:
Among both athletes and coaches, questions about protein such as:
-How much protein do athletes need?
-What's the best protein?
-When should protein be consumed around training for optimal results?
and many others are asked continuously.
As with most topics pertaining to sports nutrition, the answers to the above questions are context dependent. The type of sport, the goals of the athlete, the specifics of the situation all determine how much protein is required, what protein might be optimal, etc. No single recommendation can possibly be appropriate for all athletes under all situations.
The Protein Book covers all of these issues and more.
Where can I get it and how much does it cost?
$50.00

Layout\Format\Binding

In a departure from the spiral bound world “The Protein Book” comes is a paperback weighing in at right about 200 pages. Paper quality is good and the binding seems pretty solid. It’s word heavy with no pictures with conservatively placed\sized charts. Margins are fair.

Review

Imagine if you will having a question about protein. It can be a question about supplements, whole food, daily intake, workout nutrition, differences in demands between different athletes\sports. You’ve got a question. The book has answers.

Lyle McDonalds “The Protein Book” is a little heavier reading than your typical off the shelf mass market sports nutrition manual, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. You start off with the background of “What do you need to know so that you can understand the rest of the book” chapter(s) and then it moves right into tightly focused scenario, dependent information. Go ahead and take a look at the table of contents *here* to get an idea of what information is covered and feel comfortable knowing that if it’s on there it *is* covered.

It’s written with a high school composition format of “Tell them what you’re going to tell them. Tell them. Tell them what you told them”. This basically drives the information into your brain. Topics are covered briefly but with appropriate detail. If any section discusses something with controversy (say anything regarding supplements) it is caveated with various claims, studies, and Lyle’s educated opinion on what’s relevant at the end of the day.

Product delivers exactly what is promised.

Commentary:

When I received this one I thought to myself “I really don’t have any questions on protein. This is going to be a long row to hoe.” Then that bastard made me learn things. DAMN YOU AND YOUR TEACHING! You can go right now into any forum and find countless threads asking SOMETHING protein related….BCAA, Sup vs Whole, Pre, Post, Overnight, Soy, EAA, blah blah blah. If you don’t believe me I dare you to go right now and look. I double dog dare you.

The book is aimed at athletes and coaches with 200 pages on a specific dietary subject. What you’re given is almost a cheat sheet for the “variable” macro. Fat is usually going to be 20-30% of BW. Carbs are usually going to be “everything else”. Protein is your silver bullet and moving target. If you’re an athlete or train athletes that compete (or simply play hard) in strength\power, endurance, fat loss, figure then getting your\their nutrition strait is a pretty big deal. Not only is it a big deal to say “this is what you need to do”, it’s important to get that person to actually buy off on that it’s legitimately important (so they’ll actually do it). They’re going to have questions. You need to have answers other than “I’m the coach”.

The real beauty of the book is that Lyle takes the time to make this book relevant to everyone. Often the nutrition books especially tend to give a single argument per topic and move on, overlooking the 20 different people in 20 different sports, with 20 different backgrounds MIGHT need a little bit of customization. The Protein Book takes that into consideration with all recommendations being issued with scenario guidance. You’re given arguments based on whatever the topic is and how to apply that information to you in your situation. That’s good stuff.
Unread 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Great review. My copy just shipped and I can't wait to read it.
Unread 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM

Thanks, this review inspired me to buy it.
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryony Leanne View Post
Hi
For some reasons, people that eat meat have a tendency to forget that vegetables contain protein. That being said, I wouldn't recommend a protein supplement because you shouldn't have any problem getting the amount of protein you need from your diet. I gave you some links. The first one will tell you how to calculate how much protein you need. If I were you, I'd keep track of how much protein I eat each day for a week. At the end of the week, average it and compare it to what you should be getting. If you aren't getting enough, start including some of the foods the links mention, and do your calculations again. Let me know if you have any more questions.
I think you're spam.
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonobo View Post
I think you're spam.
Lesson #1 Spam does not have feelings.
Unread 08-14-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radaar View Post
Lesson #1 Spam does not have feelings.
it does have protein, tho
Unread 06-27-2010, 11:29 AM

I just finished the book and it has really enlightened me! Thanks a bunch for your work lyle!
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:07 AM

I got a copy for Christmas and am finally wading into it. Effing awesome stuff, this! Definitely worth the asking price, and more.
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Wading is a good term for it ....
Unread 01-03-2011, 04:37 PM

The protein book is my equal favourite lyle book along with the keto book. It's a must read. The only protein issue I can think that wasn't covered was the oraganic/grassfed/wildcaught vs. convention meats/dairy/fish, it's not a bit deal, but literally everything else related to protein was in there. I'd give it a 9.5/10.