BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-13-2017, 11:00 AM

Default Diet maintenance, leanness and all inclusive resort

Hi folks.
As I am currently on my maintenance and I am off to Greece and Turkey tomorrow the timing is perfect. The issue is: in both countries I am going to be staying at an all inclusive resort. We are 3 couples and fun is guaranteed but from my previous experience it is incredibly difficult not to blow up in an environment where there is abundant high calorie food all the time around you, I am talking delicious stuff, cocktails etc. Why I am worried about this? First, I have a long dieting phase behind me and have never been this lean in my life (12 to 13%) and I do not want to undo my efforts in 3 weeks. If I understand correctly, your body is absoluetely primed for fat regain after a long diet and below 15%. Second, I want to use this situation as a good learning experience of how to behave in future in social situations with abundance of delicious high calorie drinks and food. Mind you, I will be doing weight training regularly in these 3 weeks, but from my past experience weight training cannot offset the fat gain that comes when eating and drinking almost all the time. Now, I by no means want to be a freak and eat only veggies and meat and justify that with my leanness goals, I actually want to enjoy this time, but I do not want to blow up. Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you guys.
Unread 06-13-2017, 11:27 AM

I'd IF and save cals for social meals. That way you can splurge, not be neurotic, and minimize fat gain (if any). Thats basically my strategy for out of town trips or when I know I'll have a social night. 12 to 13 is an iffy zone if you're a little too loose you'll end up mid teens and not even realize...so try balance some moderation with enjoying the vacation. I'd stress the latter honestly.
Unread 06-13-2017, 07:49 PM

Maybe don't eat 2000 cals of cheese olives and bread they will serve you at breakfast

It seems to be more socially acceptable to have a boiled egg a few and a coffee in the morning without having to stuff your face.

Turkish coffee is good if you can handle the grit, you can use that to replace some calories without looking like a douche

For dinner and lunch you can try ordering some weird offal stuff where possible get some culture without wanting to eat a whole load since it tastes odd haha

Last edited by Hectic : 06-13-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Unread 06-13-2017, 08:23 PM

As suggested, try IF. Also, I would prioritize cardio over weight training to create a some room for indulgence. Move to maintenance weight training and focus on cardio. Keep protein high if you can to minimize stuffing your face with delicious carbs. But don't stress, it is what it is. You know how to diet now so you can get rid of what you gain when you get back. And save booze for evenings whenever you can. There is nothing like day drinking to completely derail any plans other than more day drinking - which in and of itself has its place and time, like vacations
Unread 06-14-2017, 05:43 AM

I've been in this position so many times. My strategy:

* As many have mentioned, try and go IF. I find that it's nearly impossible to NOT pile on calories later in the day, especially once cocktail / happy hour hits.

* Early on in the day, try and stick with protein. In an all inclusive, there's plenty of fish, chicken, veggies to eat. I'd always eat a healthy, but not heavy "brunch" and that would do it for me until dinner basically. In this way, you can also be on your way to hitting your protein requirements.

* Try and limit cocktails to on the rocks, no crazy juices. Should be able to get some good tequila. Lime juice is your friend along with diet sodas.

* If you do your job right early in the day you should be able to save some room for the cocktails and carb enjoyment later. It is vacation. You have to relax, enjoy, live.

* Try and get a couple workouts in. Should be a gym somewhere at the resort.

* Hell, even if you go over maintenance by 500 cals/day that's not a ton. Prepare to just go 2-3 days RFL when you get back.

* Minimize the "damage," but Enjoy it! There's no sense in dieting if you can't enjoy the new body you're living in.

KY
Unread 06-14-2017, 05:58 AM

Me personally and I don't know whether this is the best or not, would do intermittent fasting as it allows you to eat bigger meals later and is very easy to maintain after the first couple of days. I find breakfast foods aren't as 'special' either when on holiday, it seems to be always omelettes, fruit, etc.

Miss breakfast, eat around 1pm-2pm, avoid bland snacking you can get anywhere (Mar's bars, Herschey's etc) and just try to put all your food intake into your meals (and alcohol obviously). That'd give you at maintenance of say ~2500 calories 3 meals of ~700 calories or 2 meals of 1000 calories plus say 500 cal for alcohol content.

The main thing is I wouldn't stress TOOOOO much about it, a small amount over maintenance would be no biggie. Just try not to go crazy eating buffets for 4 plates, maybe avoid too much uber-dense stuff every day (cake) but occasionally is alright. Maybe walk a bit, swim a bit. If you gain a few pounds I'd figure that is fine, there's plenty of mundane workdays to stress about macros and stuff later lol. Have fun is main thing imo.

Also, I've been to Greece and they definitely like their grilled meats, fish, seafood and salads. It might be easier than you imagine to eat delicious authentic stuff and stay lean. P.S. don't overly stress about the olive oil calories. The Greeks drink huge amounts of the stuff as did I when there for 4 months some years ago and I didn't suffer any ill effects regarding my body composition (obviously this is only one person's opinion and not the most stringent evidence). I was dipping multiple slices of bread in essentially olive oil saucers. mmmmm delicious.

Last edited by jimike : 06-14-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Unread 06-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Yeah, I'd just be reasonable and otherwise not worry about it. Worst case scenario, you gain a few pounds, most of it water (I'm guessing there's a lot of salt in the food), and you loose it again within a week or two of getting home.
Unread 06-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Thank you for the guidance guys.
Actually, I am finding it easy to eat well, which comes as a complete surprise, because before during.my obese life I binged.myself away every time at an all inclusive. I guess a long period of dieting has taught me a lot. What I find incredibly helpful is (in the absence of any possibility or wish to track anything during vacation): load up on protein and veggies at every meal first, then eat some high volume low cal fruits (watermelone, strawberreies, cherries), only then eat some desert (this mostly ends with one or two bites as I am stuffed by then). Last year I literally gained visible fat in one week only, but things are going well so far. Abs have gone a little blury, but its also the food volume itself I guess, not necesarrily fat.
https://picload.org/image/riwlwipr/i...618_232702.jpg

Last edited by funkord : 06-18-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Unread 07-23-2017, 08:09 AM

Done this for 3 days in early may. Gained 2lbs and that was pounding 4-5k in food and alcohol daily. Lost it and more after a week of returning

Currently in bodrum at a resort again for 4 nights. I honestly just don't give a sheet because life is meant to be fun. I know it's all gonna go off when I'm back. Enjoy the sucuklu yumurta and mixed grills bro
Unread 07-24-2017, 02:23 PM

Maybe this is just me, and probably it is totally irrelevant to your question - but really I'd just party on and deal with the consequences later.