BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Have you ever lied/exaggerated your lift numbers on the Internet?
Of course I have; who hasn't? 3 17.65%
I have never done that 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-19-2017, 08:14 AM

Easy solution: just assume everyone is lying. No but seriously, I think many of us probably take most claims people make online with a grain of salt.

My own experience in the several gyms I've belonged to is that even the decent size guys are lifting fairly light weights compared to what people online often claim. I rarely see anyone bench more than 225 in the real world unless I go to a competition.
Unread 06-19-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Exactly! I honestly think a lot of claims online are outright fantasy land! Not only that, but the fantasy encourages others to do the same. "If HE can bench 150kg for reps, certainly I can too. My internet lifts are epic"
Pretty much. I think this happens quite often but I'm not sure how you'd ever really be able to measure the specifics. And hey, there are some really strong dudes out there, but they're fewer and farther between than some online communities would have you believe.

I have witnessed lifts that I probably wouldn't believe if I hadn't witnessed them with my own eyes. The lifting world has taught me to be skeptical of such claims. For every guy I've seen rep out 405lb/184kg on the bench press (one), I've seen hundreds who struggle with less than half that. And there's nothing wrong with that.. that's just real life.

Also this is not just an internet phenomenon. People have ignored bad form, gotten "favorable" spots, exaggerated, and flat out lied about their lifts long before the internet was ever invented.

How many guys do you know who "used to be able to do" 30+ strict pullups?
Unread 06-22-2017, 01:47 PM

I've never lied but I've certainly learned over time that numbers I posted were invalid because I wasn't getting a full range of motion.

I think 50% of people underestimate their bodyfat% because they truly don't realize they are fatter than they think and 50% of people are just idiots. Almost No one gives an accurate bf% estimation of themselves

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-22-2017, 02:29 PM

I like the ones asking for advice on very simple, novice aspects of lifting, while at the time claiming elite-level numbers of this or that lift.

I also like the ones that volunteer impressive numbers despite the fact that no one asked them, and such figures are entirely irrelevant to the thread.

Myself, like Voodoo, I've never posted numbers to start with. Not only are they unimpressive, but no one has ever asked, and it's never been relevant to the topic at hand anyway.

I'm also generally suspicious of many of the avatars I see on fitness and lifting boards.
Unread 06-22-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2010 View Post
I like the ones asking for advice on very simple, novice aspects of lifting, while at the time claiming elite-level numbers of this or that lift.

I also like the ones that volunteer impressive numbers despite the fact that no one asked them, and such figures are entirely irrelevant to the thread.

Myself, like Voodoo, I've never posted numbers to start with. Not only are they unimpressive, but no one has ever asked, and it's never been relevant to the topic at hand anyway.

I'm also generally suspicious of many of the avatars I see on fitness and lifting boards.
Oh yeah, the volunteers. They're the best.

And the novice elites, gotta love'em.

"Please help me with setting up a 5x5 routine. I weigh 50kg and bench 110kg. I really suck"
Unread 06-23-2017, 01:11 AM

Yeah i can't stand people who say they used to be able to do _____

No one cares who you used to be

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-23-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Yeah i can't stand people who say they used to be able to do _____

No one cares who you used to be
"Can you do a handstand?"

"Not anymore!!!"
Unread 06-23-2017, 09:12 AM

This fake weight biz is starting to get beyond absurd as well. Have you seen some of the material out there on Youtube nowadays? In some cases they're not even trying to feign the intense effort that would surely be required...like one with some Instagram model, or whatever she's supposed to be, that I saw where she's repping out on squats with 500 "pounds". No strain to be seen, no shaking, turning red, no bar bounce at the top. Come on, at least try and humor us a bit. Even demonstrations of strength that actually may be real often come with greatly inflated, fantastical titles and descriptions that wildly exaggerate the feat..."15 year old girl benches 250!!!" "Deadlifting 200kg at 70kg bodyweight!!!" More likely than not in the first case, you'll see the girl with a back arch reminiscent of the one in St. Louis, making for a ROM of a whopping six inches or so chest to lockout, and in the second case, maybe you see the widest sumo stance you've even witnessed, allowing for the bar to move maybe a foot or so.

I suppose it's all good for a laugh or two. My concern would be for lifters, especially younger ones, that get duped into thinking that kind of stuff is real, and then get discouraged about their own progress and achievements. Ideally one generally shouldn't compare ones self to others...judging success, failure or progress against others' yardsticks (real or fake as they may be), but admittedly, it can be hard to not do so at times, at least a little.
Unread 06-23-2017, 10:02 AM

The whole industry is full of lies. The sooner you realize this the better off you'll be.

I've had one of my close friends lie to my face about his steroid usage for no reason other than to protect his fragile ego. Now what do you think happens when some fitness model becomes famous on instagram, with huge amounts of followers while getting rich selling training programs and supplements?

Do you actually believe some kid with huge, capped shoulders at 10% bodyfat, who has never been drug tested, is natural? And for what reason... because he says he is natural? It sounds ridiculous but so many people eat that stuff up.

Maybe someday it will come out that muscle magazines don't always use real 20kg/45lb plates during photo shoots..

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 06-23-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Unread 06-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
The whole industry is full of lies. The sooner you realize this the better off you'll be.

I've had one of my close friends lie to my face about his steroid usage for no reason other than to protect his fragile ego. Now what do you think happens when some fitness model becomes famous on instagram, with huge amounts of followers while getting rich selling training programs and supplements?

Do you actually believe some kid with huge, capped shoulders at 10% bodyfat, who has never been drug tested, is natural? And for what reason... because he says he is natural? It sounds ridiculous but so many people eat that stuff up.

Maybe someday it will come out that muscle magazines don't always use real 20kg/45lb plates during photo shoots..
So lame. I hate fake nattys with a passion. Ime very few people irl are judgmental about it.