BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-21-2014, 03:35 PM

Default Question about fats

Besides the information in the book, in regards to the necessity of EFAs and Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, is there an ideal ratio or guideline to consumption of Saturated to Monounsaturated to Polyunsaturated fats?
Unread 08-21-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr1c3rA View Post
Besides the information in the book, in regards to the necessity of EFAs and Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, is there an ideal ratio or guideline to consumption of Saturated to Monounsaturated to Polyunsaturated fats?
This has NOTHING to do with ketogenic dieting.
Unread 08-21-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
This has NOTHING to do with ketogenic dieting.
Actually, this is a forum thread with a question about Lyle's product "The Ketogenic Diet..." (Notice the forum string BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet > Question about fats). To take it a step further... Absolutely! I have no problem spelling it out for you so you don't fail to read between the lines again:

In regards for Ketogenic dieting, as outlined in Lyle's book, 'The Ketogenic Diet...', when one is selecting the approximately 65% of the calories they will consume in the form of dietary fat, are there any concrete suggestions for how much of each of those three types of fats one should be consuming?

Better?
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:42 AM
Banned

I can't remember specific ratios off the top of my head, but avoid anything with the word "hydrogenated" like the plague. Search online for oils known to cause inflammation. Supplement with omega 3's, eat avocados and nuts on occasion (watch the omega 3 and omega 6 ratio of nuts, though; you can find comparison charts online). Macadamias are the best. Also check out avocado oil for cooking. It has a high smoke point and the taste is divine (oils with lower smoke points tend to oxidize and cause free radical damage).
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Last time I looked into this is was about 1/3rd each of total fats but that interacts with total fat intake. You can consume excess polyunsaturates, excessive saturates can be a problem and if you're bumping up fat intake, use monounsatuarates.
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Saturated=Monounsaturated>Polyunsaturated
You need some PUFA but try to keep it to a minimum.
With Keto and high fat it is easy to get too much PUFA and mess up your cellular composition.
Unread 08-27-2014, 01:02 AM
Banned

Hi Lyle.
Unread 08-27-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr1c3rA View Post
Actually, this is a forum thread with a question about Lyle's product "The Ketogenic Diet..." (Notice the forum string BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet > Question about fats). To take it a step further... Absolutely! I have no problem spelling it out for you so you don't fail to read between the lines again:

In regards for Ketogenic dieting, as outlined in Lyle's book, 'The Ketogenic Diet...', when one is selecting the approximately 65% of the calories they will consume in the form of dietary fat, are there any concrete suggestions for how much of each of those three types of fats one should be consuming?

Better?
I'm a fan of the "throw stuff at the wall, and see what sticks" approach.

I.e.,
Make up a combination of fats at random. Ideally, stuff you like to eat.
Eat it for a while.
Go have lab tests, including a lipid panel, done.
If your lipid panel sucks, change stuff and repeat.

If you're the cautious type, go get a lipid panel, and get your T levels checked, first.
If you have low LDL cholesterol and low(-ish) T levels, bump up the saturated fat. (Cholesterol is the raw material from which testosterone is made.)

Most importantly, choose a combination that you can actually stand to eat. Keto diets get monotonous pretty quickly; compliance is generally a much bigger issue than any of the actual physiological stuff.
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
Saturated=Monounsaturated>Polyunsaturated
You need some PUFA but try to keep it to a minimum.
With Keto and high fat it is easy to get too much PUFA and mess up your cellular composition.
No. Just no. Saturated are not equal to monounsaturated and no matter how much the paleo dudes say it, it still won't be true.
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisita View Post
I'm a fan of the "throw stuff at the wall, and see what sticks" approach.

I.e.,
Make up a combination of fats at random. Ideally, stuff you like to eat.
Eat it for a while.
Go have lab tests, including a lipid panel, done.
If your lipid panel sucks, change stuff and repeat.

If you're the cautious type, go get a lipid panel, and get your T levels checked, first.
If you have low LDL cholesterol and low(-ish) T levels, bump up the saturated fat. (Cholesterol is the raw material from which testosterone is made.)

Most importantly, choose a combination that you can actually stand to eat. Keto diets get monotonous pretty quickly; compliance is generally a much bigger issue than any of the actual physiological stuff.
The problem is that the weight loss that occurs on the diet overwhelms ANY impact of dietary fat composition.