BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-10-2014, 06:19 PM

Default Sandra Aamodt: Why dieting doesn't usually work [tedtalks] [thoughts??]

http://www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamo...&utm_campaign=

So the only real way to combat this is regular exercise and changing your body composition?
Unread 08-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Administrator

I think that anybody who writes "THOUGHTS?" on this forum is getting banned for 3 days.

If you have a question, ask a question.

THOUGHTS is lazy.
Unread 08-10-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I think that anybody who writes "THOUGHTS?" on this forum is getting banned for 3 days.

If you have a question, ask a question.

THOUGHTS is lazy.
What Does Everyone think of her opinion on why dieting is stupid when in Comparison to eating to how you feel?
Unread 08-11-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM95 View Post
What Does Everyone think of her opinion on why dieting is stupid when in Comparison to eating to how you feel?
Well done. You basically just paraphrased "thoughts".

Anyway, I think this notion is stupid, because it has no application to the obese and substantially overweight (though pre obese). Those people have one solution. They need to diet. Not eat how they feel.
Unread 08-11-2014, 06:12 AM
Banned

Many of the people that support fat advocacy and "healthy at every size" that are hundreds of pounds over weight say they eat "intuitively." It is like an alcoholic drinking intuitively. This lady said she lost 10 pounds. This type of eating doesn't work if you need to lose 100 pounds though.
Unread 08-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Banned

She said that intuitive eating probably won't cause weight loss. Well, great.

She even said to do it you need "to eat as much as you want" and figure out your body's signals.

Basically the message of this is horrible in my opinion. The people that this kind of message can help are probably already doing something like this and maintaining a relatively healthy weight. But fat people hear "you can eat as much as you want and listen to your body's signals" and they say "wow, I saw a cookie and I kind of want it, so I should it." "I just drove past a mcdonalds...I kind of want some, I guess my body is sending me signals to get mcdonalds." She even said that fat people can have a very high set point that their body wants to get back to if they lose weight, so IF this is true, even if they listen to their body's signals, it will result in them staying in this obese set point.

At some point to lose weight you have to diet. You can call it mindful eating, lifestyle change, or whatever you want...but you are going to have to crave something that is high calorie and you are going to have to say "I shouldn't have that." After a while the cravings might come less often or not be as strong, but you are still going to have to fight these cravings one way or another.

As I said in the above post "intuitive eating" is what a lot of 300+ pound women "follow" and it is basically just a green light for them to eat what they want (in their minds at least). Most people practice intuitive drinking. Most people don't have to use will power to know when they have had enough or when it is an appropriate time to drink. Some people cannot drink at all otherwise they will go WAY overboard. In my opinion it is similar to eating, and this message to "eat intuitively" is like telling an alcoholic to drink intuitively. To an alcoholic, drinking intuitively amounts to getting black out drunk on a very regular basis. To a super obese person it amounts to binge eating on a regular basis and continuing to gain weight.

If you have never been overweight, or have only been a little overweight, this might work for you. If you have ever been well into the obese category, this is horrible advice...in my opinion at least.
Unread 08-12-2014, 02:54 AM

interesting...in the video the grafh at 8:20 shows that there is no difference between obese and lean people when it comes to health related risks IF they apply the identical healthy lifestyle habits, in the context of this study they exercise, eat fruit/vegatables, dont smoke and drink moderately (1-4)

This is a bit in contradiction to being obese in first place (and seldom seen in practice) but still interesting stuff since being fat was always considered the main leverage for increased health risk, not not having healthy lifestyle (in the graph you can see that if you apply all 4 aspects of healthy lifestyle it really does not matter weather you are obese or lean)
Unread 08-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muki View Post
interesting...in the video the grafh at 8:20 shows that there is no difference between obese and lean people when it comes to health related risks IF they apply the identical healthy lifestyle habits, in the context of this study they exercise, eat fruit/vegatables, dont smoke and drink moderately (1-4)

This is a bit in contradiction to being obese in first place (and seldom seen in practice) but still interesting stuff since being fat was always considered the main leverage for increased health risk, not not having healthy lifestyle (in the graph you can see that if you apply all 4 aspects of healthy lifestyle it really does not matter weather you are obese or lean)
That study is interesting. To be honest I find it odd that anyone could eat 5 servings of fruit and veggies and go to the gym but stay obese. Obviously they can be eating a lot more food than their body needs, but I never want to go to the gym if I am eating too much...or eat many vegetables for that matter.
Unread 08-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muki View Post

Metabolic health is different from markers of fitness, weight loss, etc. I think it's disingenuous to say that they are NO DIFFERENT, the studies don't support that. But people who are obese but active/have other positiv ehealth habits are often healthier than people who are thin but inactive/have other bad habits.
Unread 08-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjack View Post
That study is interesting. To be honest I find it odd that anyone could eat 5 servings of fruit and veggies and go to the gym but stay obese. Obviously they can be eating a lot more food than their body needs, but I never want to go to the gym if I am eating too much...or eat many vegetables for that matter.
I see obese people at teh gym all the time. You can out eat any activity program and eating 5 servings of fruits/veg per day has no impact per se if the rest of your diet is garbage.