BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-23-2018, 07:10 AM

Default How much coaching does the average person need to learn the basic lifts?

Form seems to be a major critique for weightlifting. How long working with a coach would people say it takes the average individual to properly learn lifts to the point that they can carry on training indefinitely on their own?
Unread 01-23-2018, 07:36 AM

It's debatable, but I would say in most cases 'none'-- as long as the person is willing and able to seek out information and apply it in the weight room.

Coaching can help but I personally wouldn't recommend a trainer unless I knew that person myself or have at least watched them train people. I've seen too much irresponsible stuff (from people who really should know better) to recommend somebody learn from a random trainer at the gym.

If by chance you meant weightlifting in the stricter sense of the word (snatch/clean and jerk), find some good coaching. Those lifts are genuinely hard to learn on your own.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 01-23-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Unread 01-23-2018, 08:23 AM

Assuming the coach knows what they are doing, I don't think it would take more than a few hours to teach and get some reps in to teach the pattern. Then it is up to the trainee to be conscientious while training and ensure good form. That is another area where the coach can be useful - keep an eye on trainee in the early stages to ensure good form, reinforcement of proper movement patterns. How long before those patterns get engrained? Don't know. When I started lifting I learned from football players who had been taught to lift by coaches.
Unread 01-23-2018, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaph View Post
Form seems to be a major critique for weightlifting. How long working with a coach would people say it takes the average individual to properly learn lifts to the point that they can carry on training indefinitely on their own?
What lifts are you talking about.

Beyond that, it depends on the person. Someone with a good movmeent background, I can probably teach a squat in a handful of sessions. Someone new to activity might take much longer.
Unread 01-23-2018, 09:56 AM

Mainly the squat, overhead press, bench press, deadlift, with the broad exemption allowing for the right specific variant or even exercise choice for a person's body type.
Unread 01-23-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post
Assuming the coach knows what they are doing, I don't think it would take more than a few hours to teach and get some reps in to teach the pattern. Then it is up to the trainee to be conscientious while training and ensure good form. That is another area where the coach can be useful - keep an eye on trainee in the early stages to ensure good form, reinforcement of proper movement patterns. How long before those patterns get engrained? Don't know. When I started lifting I learned from football players who had been taught to lift by coaches.
I'm coming back to the gym after a long layoff, I'm mostly wondering how much of those extra corrections I would need. I'm sure I would THINK I'm maintaining good form... I figured I'd just check in with somebody every so often, but was wondering what the consensus of people who actually knew what they were doing and have been at it for awhile thought.
Unread 01-23-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
It's debatable, but I would say in most cases 'none'-- as long as the person is willing and able to seek out information and apply it in the weight room.

Coaching can help but I personally wouldn't recommend a trainer unless I knew that person myself or have at least watched them train people. I've seen too much irresponsible stuff (from people who really should know better) to recommend somebody learn from a random trainer at the gym.

If by chance you meant weightlifting in the stricter sense of the word (snatch/clean and jerk), find some good coaching. Those lifts are genuinely hard to learn on your own.
That's something I'm leery of; I've been taking a weightlifting class, and I'm realizing it doesn't seem to be for me. So I'd like to get back to basic lifts, and I'm coming to think the recommendations I've gotten were based on on WL optimization vs what I'm looking for. Youtube does have the advantage of finding coaches I like, but if I'm honest with myself, I'm in no way a natural athlete and could probably use at least some guidance.
Unread 01-23-2018, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
99% of self taught people in the weight room have horrific form

Then again, most trainers can't teacch it either
Unread 01-23-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
99% of self taught people in the weight room have horrific form

Then again, most trainers can't teacch it either
Yeah, it can be a real lemon market for trainers, and yet like you said, 99% of people honestly need the help. I'd like to focus on compound barbell lifts mostly because they translate more easily between gyms (not every spot has Hammer Strength for instance), but finding the right coach is easier said than done.

But at least I have posting my vids online and hearing how horrific my form is to look forward to!
Unread 01-23-2018, 03:19 PM

i have been training for years and i am still coming across and trying minor changes to my form for maximum work. just in the past couple months, i have worked harder on slightly lighter weights and slowing down the tempo significantly to make sure the muscle i am targeting is the one doing the work