BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-27-2017, 01:13 PM

Default Calories burnt bass fishing?

Weird one, right?

But bear with me. I bass fish all day Saturdays and Sundays and I'm curious what you guys think I burn in an 8-10 hour day. It's a lot more involved than many would think. Sometimes it's from boat (0 steps) and sometimes from shore (15-25k steps). There's also activity involved with casting and reeling.

Here's a link to a video of me fishing as I would on a regular weekend. Multiply that by 8 hours and what do you think I'd be burning?

https://youtu.be/coHkBDsnKrw
Unread 06-29-2017, 09:57 PM

My first thought was.. "this is a rediculous question."
...it kind of still is but I enjoy toying with pseudo calculations like this.

What are your stats?
Age, wieght, bodyfat%, height, etc
What kind of metabolism/body type do you have. Are you a hardgainer? A endomorph? That kind of thing.

Also what normal activity would you say "feels" similar in exertion? Does it feel similar to washing dishes at a sink? Playing golf?

There are some calorie burn websites that produce numbers for a lot of these more common activities.
My advice would be to divide up your 8 hour day into hours spent doing something similar. For example I doubt your casting every 30 seconds for 8 hours straight.
Maybe an hour total your prepping the boat or walking out to your spot; Maybe an hour of just standing; 2 hours of sitting, say 3-4 hours of straight fishing.. maybe in which you could compare it to doing simple hand washing of dishes.

Let's say your 170, 5'10", 25yo

Using (first hit on google): https://www.healthstatus.com/perl/calculator.cgi
It has all the activities you could want.. it's ohh so scientific.....
Anyways remember to subtract this time from your bmr. So if you burn 2000 at rest that's 83.33 cals/hour * 8 hours is 666 cals. Subtract that from total bmr. So 2000-666= 1334; then add your 8 hours of activity. So 1334+1336=2670 cals for your day.. assuming that before and after this 8 hour block of "fishing" you are pretty much comatose in bed.

1 hour Standing 92
2 hours Sitting / resting 163
1 hour Driving 163
1 hour Walking 2 mph 214
3 hours active Fishing 704
Total Calories Burned 1,336 for 8 hours

Edit: using the body stats above 8 hours of just fishing and being a vegetable before and after, you would burn 3210cals for the whole day

Anyways play around with it. It's fun and may help.

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates

Last edited by JDPbrah : 06-29-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Unread 06-30-2017, 05:42 AM

6' 180 23 years old. I would say fishing can range from being as light as playing a game of catch, to fast walking depending on what you're fishing. In a tournament situation you're usually casting for at least 7 hours straight. I've seen some people throw around figures of 2-3k calories for pros (tend to be bigger guys). I just have trouble believing such a massive amount would be burnt.
Unread 06-30-2017, 05:42 AM

The calories burnt doing fishing are absolutely astronomical. I actually take my fat loss clients out fishing. They never, or rarely, catch anything, but MAN they burn fat fast
Unread 06-30-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslifter View Post
6' 180 23 years old. I would say fishing can range from being as light as playing a game of catch, to fast walking depending on what you're fishing. In a tournament situation you're usually casting for at least 7 hours straight. I've seen some people throw around figures of 2-3k calories for pros (tend to be bigger guys). I just have trouble believing such a massive amount would be burnt.
Given your stats that website says:

8 hours of nonstop fishing: 1987cals

Compare it to these activities where there is likely not as much variation between individuals of the same stats (not much different going on while sleepin;, fishing on the other hand who knows if these "measurements" or guesses were made with tournament fishing or what in mind.) (also if these "measurements" were taken using someone who was 130lbs, and the calculator
Is scaling it up because of weight/height/age differences is it even still relevant? I don't know):

8 hours standing: 778
8 hours sleeping: 605

Sleeping is pretty much an RMR value so subtract that from fishing and you have about 1300-1400 cal burn on top of your RMR for that 8 hour period.

I've seen tournament fishing it's pretty involved and a lot going on. If your moving nonstop then your likely burning a fair bit of energy. Whatever "fair bit" is I simply don't know

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Unread 06-30-2017, 03:49 PM

I see they don't call you bass lifter for nothing. You are a bona fide fisherman. You probably know how to use Alex Langer's famous flying lure. I salute thee, sir.
Unread 06-30-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
I see they don't call you bass lifter for nothing. You are a bona fide fisherman. You probably know how to use Alex Langer's famous flying lure. I salute thee, sir.
Flying lure and banjo minnow :-D

Hoping to burn about 3000 calories on the water tomorrow
Unread 07-01-2017, 04:51 AM

Whenever I am dieting, I never include calories spent from activities outside of my normal activity. I just consider it progress I would have not made otherwise in my quest to reach my dieting goal.

Now, if I am trying to gain, I may include an extra meal to cover any expenditure.

Not saying this is the case with you, but often people believe these extra activities give them license to eat more than they should and they end up having trouble reaching their dieting goal.