BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-05-2018, 01:23 AM

Cardio. Stairclimber and elliptical. Stairclimber takes a lot out of me. Lower body cardio after working legs sucks, period. My pain tolerance is still terrible.

I think I might start doing a few minutes of the climber at the backend of my lifting workouts, just to get better used to it.

I also practiced squats. Is 60% of my 10RM too much, for a recovery day? For now I'm just assuming it's not, because I need at least some weight on there, for feedback.
Unread 07-06-2018, 04:07 AM

Lifting. I cracked Category 3 on Rippetoe's tables, for my squat. I didn't know about those, until two days ago, and have no idea what that actually means. Should there be some kind of symmetry across lifts? I'm barely Category 2 in my bench and deadlift. I guess I'm wondering if I should be concerned that my squat is progressing more than other lifts. Nuts to that table. Squats are getting better every workout. That's at least half of what I care about.

I got to the gym late, so I got in, did my compounds, and got out. Felt a dull pain on the outside of my forearms, while doing wide-grip pulldowns, which isn't entirely uncommon. Does worry me, though. I'm still annoyed that I'm stuck doing that, instead of weighted chins. What's an alternative exercise to pulldowns? Right now I'm alternating that ABABetc with seated rows.

I know everyone hear hates supplements, but I spiked my periworkout shake with a scoop of protein-coffee, tonight. Was nice, more like a nudge than a boost. I liked it.
Unread 07-09-2018, 03:47 AM

Missed last night's workout due to life stuff, so I did it tonight, where I normally would've done my carries. Which kind of sucks. I tried using a belt, while squatting, this time. It didn't go well. I think my gut is too big to use a belt. I felt like I couldn't breathe.

199.2 on the scale today. I thought I was getting fatter, but I guess not. Hopefully I'm recomping.
Unread 07-15-2018, 04:39 AM

Lagging on updating this.

I'm still at 199.2 (apparently exactly), as of this morning. I guess that means the recomp is going well, since I'm getting stronger.

I'm adding weight in my squats and RDL, which has me pleased as punch. I've been practicing the squats on my off days, and trying to 'just lift' on my lifting days, avoiding getting too much in my head about form. Seems to be working for me. Does throw a monkey wrench into some internal debate about running another RFL, though. I'd backed off on the squats, the past few workouts, and was considering just jumping into a short RFL and deload. Threw ten pounds more than my previous max on the bar, tonight, on an impulse, thinking I'd work strength, and banged out a clean ten reps. Now, I'm less inclined to put the brakes on progress, now that I know it's still progressing.

Also worked abs, tonight, after noticing that I haven't worked them directly in weeks. Was weaker in that one, glad I noticed and stopped slacking.

My shoulder's been getting better. I can still feel whatever it is, but there's no longer any pain, as such. Just an awareness. Still going to give it a lot of time before I get ambitious with pressing movements, I'm in no hurry, for now.

Last edited by Fatty McFatso : 07-15-2018 at 04:42 AM.
Unread 07-19-2018, 02:08 AM

197.4 this morning.

Lifting last night, cardio tonight.

Sometimes I compare where I'm at, now, to old workout journals from when I was a 20-something. When I flip to workouts, there, where I was squatting what I'm squatting, now, I find upper body work that I'm nowhere close to being able to do, now. IOW lower body is progressing nicely, while upper body sucks, and it's because of something to do with my training, not my build. That bothers me, not sure how to fix it.
Unread 07-20-2018, 04:36 AM

Workout tonight didn't go as well as usual. My first set of squats I got more reps than I did Monday. But didn't make rep one on the second. I gave it some time and dropped the weight 25 lbs, thinking I'd take it light for high reps. My quads just didn't want to cooperate. I guess I need more recovery, for some reason. I went straight to upper body, from there. I'm thinking about switching my full body workout from linear progression to a light-medium-heavy progression scheme, or DUP. I've been lifting about five months, now, without any bulking, so I might be running low on noobie grace.

I accidentally tightened another belt loop, today. It was too tight, I noticed immediately, but still went. My pants are now too loose in the waist while getting tight in the legs. I think I still have a huge gut. But things are getting better, the belt doesn't lie.
Unread 07-25-2018, 04:04 AM

Wound up having to take a few days off from lifting and dieting because reasons. I guess I must've needed the rest, though, because I made some good progress in all of my lifts, tonight.

Squats I went 4x6. I've been doing 3x8-10 for months, and just felt like going heavy. I'm thinking of doing one workout at 4x6, one at 3x8-10, and another at a higher, more conditioning range. I've read Lyle's article. Haven't digested all of it, yet, or figured out if it's the route I want to go. TBH, every time I manage to successfully add weight to the bar, I stop caring about plans. I know I'll lose that leeway, eventually, but for now that's how it's going.

Lat raises: anyone got any advice for these? I'm doing them bent forward slightly at the waist, because someone on the YouTubes told me that's the recipe for hitting mid delts. I'm doing a solid six sets per week, but, workout after workout, my sets stay the same. Same weights, same reps. I'm not sure if I'm developing at all, aesthetically, I've always been a poor self-critic in that department. I'm wondering if there's something else I can add in or substitute to mix things up and trigger some growth. I'm honestly not even sure what exactly these are an accessory lift for, so anything would be helpful.

I think I may've gained a pound or two. At some point I really need to think about taking another shot at my gut. Every time I make progress in my compounds, though, I think, "meh, worth it." So I've gotta wait until I stall.
Unread 07-25-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty McFatso View Post

Lat raises: anyone got any advice for these? I'm doing them bent forward slightly at the waist, because someone on the YouTubes told me that's the recipe for hitting mid delts. I'm doing a solid six sets per week, but, workout after workout, my sets stay the same. Same weights, same reps. I'm not sure if I'm developing at all, aesthetically, I've always been a poor self-critic in that department. I'm wondering if there's something else I can add in or substitute to mix things up and trigger some growth. I'm honestly not even sure what exactly these are an accessory lift for, so anything would be helpful.
Why don't you add weight or increase reps on those lat raises? What is the issue? If your sets stay the same week after week there will be no progress in growth
Unread 07-25-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muki View Post
Why don't you add weight or increase reps on those lat raises? What is the issue? If your sets stay the same week after week there will be no progress in growth
Oh, sorry if I was unclear. I'm not sticking at the same weight and rep range, by design. I'm stuck there because I'm stuck there. That's the problem.
Unread 07-26-2018, 01:31 AM

Cardio tonight. Stairclimber and elliptical. I'm unbelievably bored of LISS, need to take a tablet or something with me, so I can watch Netflix. Or something. I don't know how cardio junkies stand this stuff.