BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-11-2014, 09:11 PM

Default Should I do U.D. 2

This seems like the place to post. I have been overweight since.... adolescence I guess. Since 2 years ago I cut out pop and all other bad habits foods and in the last year or so have basically maintained my weight after dropping 40lbs from doing that coupled with lifting 3 days a week, full body.

Since then I've plateaued and constantly get different recommendations from too many different sources all of which just has me spinning my wheels.

I am 5'11, 175lb now, used to fluctuate between 220-230 all through high school. Now a 25 year old college senior, with a college budget trying to work out the best approach for myself right now.

My exercise physiology professor says to add muscle mass, which I can agree on since I don't have much lean mass, yet I want to avoid the pitfalls of gaining fat doing so. He also says I have been eating way too little for my activity 1200-1600 cal depending on the day, still lifting 3 days a week.

I have no particular food cravings and have been tracking my protein, carbs, fat, sugars on a regular basis through myfitness pals (and doing my own math for my own meals and creating them in there as well).

Problems is I am still spinning my wheels. I know I need to build LBM, but since i know that is a slower process than fat loss I don't want to jump all in just to get pissed off because I still have fat in areas I really don't want it (chest). Nor do I want that lean mass to incidentally make it look even worse.

Here is an album i just put together I of what I have taken. I never took photos at my heaviest, I wouldn't even look into the mirror without a shirt on for the longest time even. It's just a pain in the I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. and I want to up my fitness approach and nutritional approach 110% and it seems that UD 2.0 seems to be my best bet since not only does it cover how to lose fat, but also how to maintain LBM/make potential gains with the right timing. Even without being the target audience of it, shouldn't it be just as affective?

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s11.photobucket.com/user/SedreenValorn/embed/slideshow/Fitness%20Tracking"></iframe>
Unread 10-12-2014, 03:53 AM

UD2 is not for you. Forget about it.

You need to lose weight. I would focus on that.
Unread 10-12-2014, 09:07 AM

I'm looking for more information than some ultimatum of "no"

Say why.

Because as I stated I have plateaued and metabolism has just slowed. Based on what my energy expenditure would be i've been 500-800 in the hole depending on who's math, mine, calculators, whatever, are correct for over a month.

Not to mention my lack of much muscle mass.

If there is factual scientific reasons why U.D. 2 would not work, say so, but if the science holds for how it all works.

Low carbs to mobilize fat, deplete glycogen to further push the body to start utilizing fatty acids released in the blood, coupled with cardio on the following low carb days, and a higher intensity with less volume lifting day to further deplete muscle glycogen and prepare for gains, then 24 hour of controlled carb overeating to refuel muscles for a power day.

If the science holds for one genetically average person, it should hold for all, no matter the current state of their weight. I'm not completely new to all this. I haven't ate in a way that made me gain weight in several years, it was just that the addition of weight training 3 years or so ago that really pushed me over the edge in terms of fat loss, but that has slowed after all that time.

If UD 2 is effective for fat loss and muscle gains, then there should be no reason for me not to do it since I need both.

Anything said to the contrary without a scientific reasoning as to why I shouldn't use the program sounds like an opinion that because of where I am in my fitness goals that I am not willing to put in the necessary work to pull through it correctly.
Unread 10-12-2014, 11:49 AM

Doing more reading elsewhere I guess I can see why. Higher body fat % means more likely to put on fat, than muscle if following certain programs. So I guess the real question then would be what would be the program for me to get on track to be able to follow UD 2.0 fairly soon. A few months at most, a month at best to be perfectly honest.

I already eat healthy well, so its not about changing habits, its about knowing a plan to follow to speed up my plateaued fat loss.
Unread 10-12-2014, 12:39 PM

Buy the book and read it. The science is there.

The fact is that, aside from reading comprehension, you don't know how to diet or exercise well. If you did, you would have more to show for.

So, based on your numbers, I recommend you lose weight. It is what I would do. Use that time to buy and read Lyle's other books so that you learn how to exercise too.
Unread 10-12-2014, 01:41 PM

I'm assuming the Rapid Fat Loss guide is the suggested book?

Since from what I am hearing it is basically the same principle as U.D. 2 but without the refeed days or the specific lifting requirements.

I know how to eat well and what to avoid, I don't have to go out of my way to do either because I just don't crave the bad things any longer.

I know how to lift weights and the importance in working every muscle, but yes aside from actually doing these activities I have no way of knowing if I am doing enough since I'm working out alone (or in a gym full of other college students). I did lift for awhile with a lacrosse trainer for about 3 months, but he obviously had different goals than I so shadowing him didn't do much besides acquiring a foundation of how to perform specific exercises safely, and what works which muscles.

I'm hearing more that the simple act of having more "weight" carried around on your person you effectively burn more calories as well, so I was wondering about the opinions on creatine use on a diet.
Unread 10-12-2014, 03:09 PM

Supplementing with creatine is fine but you are getting lost on details.

Regarding your diet, sure, RFL. But it does not need to be rapid as long as it is a loss. Create a small deficit and stick to it.

Regarding exercise, your problem is the apparent lack of progress. You are probably lifting too light. Read on progressive overload.

Lyle is good. He's got many articles on the main site and, of course, his books are out there. Read his stuff and learn as much as possible.

It will take you several months to a year to start to get things right in your diet, in the gym, in your head. Acknowledge this and don't get married to weird shortcuts.

Hope it helps, my friend. Good luck.
Unread 10-12-2014, 04:26 PM

Thanks.

I guess what I'll do is get reading on both. I want to work up to being able to build muscle in the shortest time frame possible since, my lean mass is poor to begin with and the time frame it takes to build substantial muscle (1-3lbs a month for low muscle people monthly, higher ends only for those with the genetics for easy muscle growth.

Its certainly not like I view this as a short term process, I intend to be lifting for the health benefits alone for the rest of my life. But I would lie I said I wasn't in a rush to get the ball rolling the gains department. If I had been introduce to some sort of sport back in high school or earlier this wouldn't be an issue, as I would have built that foundation earlier and it would have been easier to regain had I, like some athletes, slacked. But nope just a combination of low activity and poor nutrition as an adolescent and teenager. Asthma and associated medicines didn't help matters.
Unread 10-12-2014, 05:16 PM

Calm down and do things well. There is no need to hurry. I started at 43. You are young and, if you are not foolish, it will happen for you too.
Unread 10-12-2014, 05:38 PM

You're right. I tend to second guess my approach if I don't notice things happening rather than just continue doing what I know is on track, but just reduce calories a bit and add in some cardio. If anything activity wise that's what I avoid. I'll start adding some slowly to avoid adding too much. But spending the last week rating relatively normal (which is still below maintenance for me.) I haven't ate at maintenance at all, at least since I started tracking through myfitnesspal lately, in quite awhile.

I'll aim for 1200-1400 range with low carbs and adjust either direction based on activity level. Now if I do supplement with creatine how long before I expect numbers to play tricks on me due to water weight. I figure if it's helpful for recovery, slight increased caloric burn for holding more weight, that I might as well go utilize it. Better that than supplementing more radical things like some out there do.