BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-11-2016, 08:43 PM

Default immune system

I work around sick patients. Everytime I start a diet and the calorie surplus is large 500-1000 i almost always end up catching a cold or an URI. no matter how much I wash my hands etc. The combination of calorie deficit and weight training decreases my immune system temporarily.

Are there any other dieters in the same predicament and if so are there any supps that can help keep the immune system strong.
Unread 11-11-2016, 09:20 PM

Remember to reduce your training volume by 2/3 when dieting. If you normally do 10 sets, reduce to 3-4. You can maintain your current strength at that volume. Lyle has an article somewhere on his main site about this.

For supps, I'd recommend Iodine (I use Iosol), potato starch (Bob's Red Mill unmodified), and ZMA. Getting enough sleep is crucial. I take Melatonin as well, but a very small dose (I buy the liquid and take 1/16 to 1/8 of 1 mg).
Unread 11-11-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggaestar View Post
Remember to reduce your training volume by 2/3 when dieting. If you normally do 10 sets, reduce to 3-4. You can maintain your current strength at that volume. Lyle has an article somewhere on his main site about this.

For supps, I'd recommend Iodine (I use Iosol), potato starch (Bob's Red Mill unmodified), and ZMA. Getting enough sleep is crucial. I take Melatonin as well, but a very small dose (I buy the liquid and take 1/16 to 1/8 of 1 mg).
damn decreasing training that much. I usually do about 3-5 working sets for an exercise so down to 2.. That is going to be hard..

Does the ZMA really work. I have tried melatonin for shifts when I was working night and day shiftsl didnt really do much besides placebo for me.
Unread 11-11-2016, 10:22 PM

From Lyle's article: http://http://www.bodyrecomposition....s-part-2.html/

"The basic conclusion, again from both research and practical experience is that both volume and frequency of training can usually be cut by up to 2/3rds (that is, to 1/3rd of what you did to improve it) but with one massively important caveat: the intensity of that training must be maintained."

ZMA is a great supplement. I notice more vivid dreams, plus it is cheap and provides two important minerals you are likely to be deficient in while on a diet. I doesn't actually put me to sleep like melatonin does though.
Unread 11-11-2016, 10:41 PM

Surprised no one has said this yet... It's all over the forum. Glutamine and Vitamin C!
Unread 11-12-2016, 07:14 PM

I've found that even with glutamine and vitamin C, they don't help much if stress and sleep aren't addressed. I think that most people who are on diets tend to exercise too much, and the combined stress of the reduced calories and excessive exercise will suppress the immune system, regardless of what supplements one might take.
Unread 11-12-2016, 08:23 PM

Eat your boogers, clean your fingernails with your teeth, eat the gunk, bite your fingernails, and lick the salt off your arm every once in a while. If you have a dog, kiss it.