BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Box squat angle too high?

I'm using the box squat to try to improve my sprinting speed/explosiveness so as long as this movement is accomplishing that for me, I don't mind if i'm missing out on total leg development.

However, i'm wondering if the "box" is too high here

Pic: https://imgur.com/FYwFE8u
Unread 01-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Box height is the least of your worries if that's what you're doing.
Unread 01-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Hips are higher than your knees and that bar path looks scary. Seems way too far back behind your ankles/knees.

Tried box squats once. Was fine if I would just tap the box, but was too slow and settled once...stuck...very disgraceful dismount.

ETA: If you want to improve explosiveness you might want to try squat jumps with TRX straps. They suck...hate them...pretty sure explosiveness is the point though.

Last edited by holly70 : 01-10-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Unread 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Also, sprinters don't do box squats

Practice sprinting and get generally strong
Unread 01-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Also, sprinters don't do box squats

Practice sprinting and get generally strong
I used to lift at a d1 collegiate weightroom for a while being friendly with a s&c coach never saw any track team doing box squats. Most popular was half and parallel squats, rdls, ghr machine and power cleans for low body work. The only box squats i saw was by one assistant coach who was all about dat ws4lyfe
Unread 01-11-2018, 12:59 PM

Interesting...

I think you guys are familiar with the study that showed how quarter squats led to the largest increases in vertical jump and decreases in 40 yard dash times.

I thought that by adding a box to the mix I could sustain even heavier weights and that I would be able to more specifically overload the joints/muscles involved in those explosive activities
Unread 01-11-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightng View Post
Interesting...

I think you guys are familiar with the study that showed how quarter squats led to the largest increases in vertical jump and decreases in 40 yard dash times.

I thought that by adding a box to the mix I could sustain even heavier weights and that I would be able to more specifically overload the joints/muscles involved in those explosive activities
The box variant separates the concentric from the eccentric. Although it will probably have good carry-over to a regular quarter squat, you want the tension/elasticity as well (because the purpose is sprint/jump performance). Therefore, it would probably be smart to rotate them so you get both benefits.

As a side note: reduced ROM is definitely a good way to train a specific portion of an athletic movement and you're able to use more weight than a regular squat. Just make sure you're not getting injured.
Unread 01-12-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I'm using the box squat to try to improve my sprinting speed/explosiveness so as long as this movement is accomplishing that for me, I don't mind if i'm missing out on total leg development.

However, i'm wondering if the "box" is too high here

Pic: https://imgur.com/FYwFE8u
Yes it's too high but as Lyle alluded to, this is the least of your worries here. The technique shown in the picture is dangerous due to the high amount of spinal compression and not having legs engaged to dissipate the forces. A lower back death trap.
Unread 01-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Interesting...

I think you have already made up your mind and don't want advice so I'm closing this thread.
Closed Thread