BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-09-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post
wow - seems like lot of d-bags on this site.

I don't post much but have followed this site for years and am not sure why all these negative posters are on here.

sure they may not like someone for whatever reason but this is just nonsense.

OP - I'm sure you don't need to hear this from me but just ignore these people and keep doing your thing.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is. For the last year or so it's really gone downhill. It used to be a pretty helpful and positive environment.

I think with reddit pretty much rendering forums like this somewhat obsolete you just dont get the quality of posters.

I hate it because i really prefer sseeing regular posters rather than millions of unique ones on something like reddit.

Anyway, I realized I was kinda spinning wheels trying to do two things at once so I'm eating carbs this week and taking a 7-10 day diet break to try to focus on increasing my lifts. I'm nervous because I don't want to be fat for 4th of July when I go to the beach, but I realize if I dont have any muscle it will all be for naught anyway. I can always run ERFL a week before the 4th of July.

Squat: 125x5x5x5 Wore different shoes that were flatter and holy crap this made all the difference in the world. I was wondering why I was having so much trouble prior. Got better depth, flatter back, more consistency in form.

Overhead Press: 100x5x5x5 Went well other than racking the bar funny on the 3rd set. I caught the hook and felt pain in my shoulder afterwards. Hope it is nothing.

Skipped deadlift, wanted to give it a rest day so I can smash it next workout.

Did those reverse pushups whatever they are called where you grab the bar and lay on the floor and pull up.

Dropsets with biceps . They felt gassed from pullups yesterday, they might need a break. Not doing chinups tomorrow, just taking a full rest day for once.

Currently CRUSHING a 6 pack of bagels and a sweet potato lol

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-12-2018, 03:54 AM

Pretty annoyed. Previous workout I tried doing some tricep pressdown work with a weird looking metal thing and on the last rep i could feel it strain my torn pec so i quit.

Yesterday I go back to lift and the squat racks are full so i decide ill deadlift first. I figure 225x5 should go up easily today. Well the first two reps do. The third rep is easy on my legs but once again i feel the pec strain so i have to abort. This was never really an issue until i got up to near 300 lbs last time so I'm not sure if I just tried to progress too quickly, or if it's becoming a bigger problem. But unfortunately deadlift is going to have to switch to higher reps or perhaps left out of my programming altogether....

Bench press: 125x5x5x10. This went well. Its weird but the more weight I add the less it seems to affect my shoulder discomfort. It's like having a reasonable amount of weight forces me to perform better technique if that makes any sense. Going to go to 135x5 next time and then switch to only increasing 5 lbs per week from there on so I dont stall out.

Skipped squatting. I dont know why. I was just pissed about the deadlift and i didnt feel like waiting any longer as someone jumped on an empty one right as i finished benching.

Chinups: 3x6. These didnt go up either but I had a little more control during the movement. Still disappointing. I should be doing a lot more by now you'd think.

Biceps. 95x3 then dropsets. These didn't go up either.

Think I need to eat and sleep more.

Debating on whether I should squat today but think im just gonna study and go tomorrow.

Feel totally in no man's land. A lot fatter than I want to be and not as muscular as I want to be. Going to stick with this routine another two weeks or so and then I guess I will have to run ERFL beacause right now I've still got belly fat.

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 06-12-2018 at 03:57 AM. Reason: a
Unread 06-15-2018, 05:22 AM

Forgot last update for 6/13

135x5x5x5 squat hooray. Switching to 5 lb increases now so i dont stall out.

110x5x5x5 OHP Was tough. 115x5 will probably take me two attempts to complete as going up 5 lbs everytime always stalls quickly with this lift

deadlift 195x8x8 This felt a little easy but i wanted to test my pec. I think this is the way going forward for me. Lighter weight with higher reps and perhaps 2 sets instead of 1. Produce a little more of a conditioning/hypertrophy effect than a pure strength one and I'm certainly okay with that. Would like to get it to at least 225 lbs though just out of sheer convenience and ridiculous weak appearance with less than that

3 sets 6 reps pullups. Not sure why these are stalling out so bad they usually shoot up. Will try again today with chins and i better get 3x7.

biceps... dont remember... preacher curls dont remember either

Will try some rows today havent been doing them

Unread 06-15-2018, 08:36 AM

Very good workout.

Squat: 140x5x5x5. Getting harder so ive started only going up by 5 lbs per session.

Bench: 135x5x5x5 I was about to do 5 sets but i remember either lyle or rippetoe saying "do the smallest amount of work necessary to create an adaptation, otherwise you have nowhere to go when it becomes more difficult to produce one". Heeded sage advice for once in my life. Switching to going up by only 5 lbs per session from here on out.

Back Rows with the cable. Different gym so i just kept going up weights until i got only 8 reps for 3 sets. no idea what it was, irrelevant.

Bicep curls... 85x6x5

Instead of chinups after all that arm/back work i just did 3 long negatives with an L shape to work abs.

Feeling good. Still fat. Going to need to do a round of ERFL for sure in about a week or so. Gotta look good heading into the 4th.

Unread 06-15-2018, 11:41 PM

Good, steady progress. Keep it up! What's your intake like right now?

My ERFL log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=34596
Unread 06-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaloum View Post
Good, steady progress. Keep it up! What's your intake like right now?
To be honest I don't really count calories or anything when I diet. I've done this so many times that I have a really good feel for about what I need to eat each day.

Essentially, I have a daily protein shake mix of milk, whey, peanut butter, banana that I flush 10g of fish oil down with.

I then make sure I eat roughly a pound of meat each day for 100g of protein... That puts me in that 170g or 1g/lb of bodyweight neighborhood.

I keep my carbs very low with the exception of post workout when I down a large sweet potato.

I eat about 1/3 of my calories pre workout and 2/3 post workout on workout days.

I make sure I get a good dose of fiber via Kashi cereal, green leafy vegetables, and bell peppers.

I don't use unhealthy marinades, sauces, etc I use dry rubs, hot sauce, and peppers.

On non workout days I keep carbs extremely low.

I never set an alarm I do not get out of bed until my body feels naturally rested.

I supplement with caffeine. Eventually, Ill probably start using the yohimbine and ephedrine again but I don't think I'm quite at the level where I need it yet.

Unread 06-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Keep forgetting to log apparently. This is from last session

Squat: 145x5x5x5

Overhead Press: 115x4x4x4

Deadlift: Tried a new technique. Did 195 lbs, 15 reps each separated by about 10 seconds rest initially and 20-30 seconds of rest towards the end

Unread 06-20-2018, 11:58 AM

Today:

Switched to lower weight, shorter rest intervals for the day. Wanted to really dial in technique now that I'm at a more reasonable level of strength.

Squat 135 lbs, 6 sets of 3 reps. 2 minute rest intervals.

Bench 135 lbs, 6 sets of 3 reps, 2 minute rest intervals. Last set I did 6 reps to test strength before I add weight next session.

Deadlift. 3 sets of 3 reps, 195 lbs. 90 second rest intervals.

1 set 7 chinups and 1 set of hanging as long as I could at the top and lowering slowly.

One thing I hate about the "starting strength" program is say I get 150 pounds for 3 sets of 5 reps one day but it's very difficult. The next session I have to go to 155 lbs.. a lot of times I get 4 reps... which to me is really in that danger zone of being too heavy for an old man like me with previous injury history.

I think some alternating between strength and this "Escalation Density" type Training will improve my form and allow me to increase the weight every other workout without nearly as much concern for missing a rep or using improper technique.

Unread 06-21-2018, 04:11 AM

Or you could get all Hardgainery.

I don't want to play blind leading the blind, but I thought Mark advocated running GOMAD, or similar bulk, with SS? You may need to moderate your expectations to match your recovery abilities, given your age and calorie intake.

I'd avoid being a program slut. Three months goes by with a snap of the fingers. Some workouts are just better or worse than others, for reasons that have nothing to do with anything you can control in the gym.
Unread 06-21-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
One thing I hate about the "starting strength" program is say I get 150 pounds for 3 sets of 5 reps one day but it's very difficult. The next session I have to go to 155 lbs.. a lot of times I get 4 reps... which to me is really in that danger zone of being too heavy for an old man like me with previous injury history.
That's because that's over a 3% weight increase, which is going to be hard to do consistently. Either expand your rep range and do double progression, or get some 1.25lb plates you take with you to the gym.