BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Supplements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-23-2018, 01:16 PM

Default Cardarine

I first read about Cardarine when SARMs started to become popular a few years ago (yes I'm aware it's not a SARM). It seemed like a really good supplement for endurance athletes, but it never really excited me because it didn't seem to me like it had many effects on body composition and I had read in a couple places it increases your risk of cancer.

My interest was recently sparked again and I did some more digging. It seems that there have been many more studies done on its purported cancer causing effects, and it seems to be safe in that respect as long as you use a sane dose and cycle length. On top of that, I've seen a lot of stuff citing that it will be of great benefit for body composition as it reduces glucose metabolism and promotes lipolysis. It seems like it might be a great tool to add to your arsenal once you're already lean and muscle loss starts becoming a big issue. Has anyone used it before or done a lot of research on it just for fun?

I'm mainly interested in two concepts:
1) Is the cancer risk anything to worry about?
2) Would it be effective as a body recomposition tool when used in conjunction with a large deficit (especially when lean)?

And yes, I know just hopping on the 600mg would be way more beneficial but I'm really trying not to mess with my HPTA axis at all right now and it looks like Cardarine has no effect on that.
Unread 07-23-2018, 07:03 PM

Its hard to say about cancer.

They supposedly sped up cancer in rats.

It'll take a lot more years for cancer to develop in humans. Maybe we'll find out in 20 years. I dont think Cardarine was even readily available/popular for that long.
Unread 07-23-2018, 10:35 PM

From what I understand, the study had 3 groups: mice given a carcinogen, mice given Cardarine, and mice given a carcinogen and Cardarine. Both groups that did not contain the mix had 0% incidence of cancer while the group that received both the carcinogen and Cardarine had a 100% incidence of cancer. The problem is the doses of Cardarine given to the mice were insanely high and for an extremely prologned period compared to a cycle a human would run. I've read a couple studies where in vitro treatment of human cells with Cardarine did not accelerate the growth of cancer nor did it cause cancer.

I don't know much about PPAR agonists, but from my understanding, they cause all cells to grow faster. So it would accelerate cancer growth theoretically if someone already had cancer cells present in their body. But then I've read stuff saying that the receptors Cardarine acts on are present in much lower quantities in cancer cells, meaning that Cardarine would (for the most part) be able to selectively target normal cells instead of cancer cells.

The benefits, on the other hand, look insane. Great increases in energy and cardiovascular endurance as well as improved nutrient partioning and anti-catabolic properties. All this without messing with the HPTA axis at all. I hope this can spark a discussion over the current literature as most of the info I find is over 2 years old. It seems more recent studies have leaned toward Cardarine being very safe, but obviously the jury is still out or it would be a prescription only substance here in the states.
Unread 07-23-2018, 11:22 PM

see my sig - search pubmed with -rat and -mouse modifiers.
4. Use google as well - Add "site:lylemcdonald.com". Google can find those short strings of letters.
5. You are not a rodent so follow up with pubmed (http://pubmed.org) use "+human" "-rat" "-mouse" modifiers
6. Check the STICKY threads.
7. use google to find all my posts.
8. Supplement evidence
9. Private message are cheerfully ignored.