BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-08-2017, 01:58 PM

I say your training is ridiculous, because it uses a lot of terribly specific movements, irregularly, with no clear objective. And a lot of stupid exercises. I see a lot of trainers do this. They'll put their client through a slew of movements with silly explanations, and no honest methodology behind it. That's the issue, basically. No honest methodology, no dilligent system to track incremental progress. Basically, a trainer only has to manipulate you into doing what he/she says. A good trainer will do this intelligently, with a plan, and get results. If your results are poor, fire the trainer.

For a weight loss diet for non-athletes, you focus on tension training to retain muscle and influence your body's inevitable departitioning as calculated by deficit, to preferentially use fat as fuel. That is all you need from the resistance training.

What you should desire from the resistance training, is transparency of purpose for each movement. And meaningful efficiency, for god's sake. Don't fall into the trap of meaningless efficiency. We don't just do supersets because it allows us to do four silly exercises at the same time. Perhaps for pushing and pulling, yes, if you are in a hurry, or you are well trained in the given exercises. Frankly, i don't even believe most people should get into this kind of thing. Keep it to regular sets so you can clearly track progress without obstruction from additional fatigue.

So, Starting Strength is conceptually closer to what you need, but on the opposite side of the spectrum. Do something in the middle. Like, tension training, a few big compounds (machines subbed when necessary), with a few auxiliary movements at a higher rep range. Regardless of what you do, consistency is key.

You will find on a diet, as you struggle to maintain your training performance, you are making progress. That's the surest sign your diet is working, and although people don't talk about failure as a sign of progress very often, it's actually a useful indicator. See, it might help you keep better track with concrete training systems in place. Then you'll have to balance this with your cardio habit.

Cardio is fine and all, to each his/her own, but while you're not fixated on improving aerobic performance, understand that the only purpose it serves is to build your energy deficit. So, take it or leave it, your choice - use it wisely, and don't let any catabolic effects masking fat loss freak you out. In my opinion, it is a terrible idea to do spin class, or group exercise in general (you are still training individuals, and an individual approach is best). It can wreck you. But women love to do things together.

As you track calories.... Well, it's only a guideline. All values are irrelevant, if the laws of thermodynamics are proven wrong, because that doesn't make sense. If you aren't losing weight, adjust until you are. It's easy math. You don't have to be precise. You subtract calories, (whether they're valued correctly or not), when you don't make progress at the rate you desire. Nothing bad will happen when you take control of the system, unless you are real unwise about it.

Sorry, I don't usually rant this much. I consumed a lot of weed-derivative products. You seem to be kinda lost.

Last edited by squat : 02-08-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Unread 02-08-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post

Sorry, I don't usually rant this much. I consumed a lot of weed-derivative products. You seem to be kinda lost.
So you are one of those highly functional stream of consciousness types. I've known a few. It's been a really long time, but I was usually more of the meditative quiets the chatter in my head types...sometimes with visual effects.

Made perfect sense.

I was wondering if this person was making it up as he went along before anyone else was critical.

ADD here, for real.

I did have a goal re:cardio (resting heart rate) that I've reached. Figured that any additional deficit would be helpful. Mostly keep at it for the mental effects though...endorphins maybe, dopamine very likely. Boosts my mood for the rest of the day.

Thanks
Unread 02-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Okay, cool. Well, at least I gave you some of my perspective. So, you see that if I were you, I'd be getting kind of indignant, whereas you are getting kind of dismayed. There's good reason to be indignant, and there's good reason to be dismayed. No good reason to be defeated, though. As long as you know what you want, and you're going in that direction, you win. You could stop dieting, but I don't think you should. Too many unanswered questions, y'know? I'm projecting, but every time I irrationalized myself halfway out from accomplishing a goal, I have regretted it. You have accomplished a lot, though. Good on you. Anyhow, good luck.

I was ADHD. I have good reason to believe the disorder is with society, though, not the individual. I supposedly have more disorders, but I've been officially unmedicated for a decade, and I am actually pretty darn successful, and well-liked. So take that, psychiatry! I'll pay attention to society when it stops jumping up and down in front of me and acting crazy.

By the by, with the weed thing, something strange happens when you combine high amounts of CBD with THC. You don't get high. I don't understand the mechanisms, but it's nice. I hear CBD is an inhibitor. They say it expands creativity, and destroys pain. Lots of nebulous claims. It is pretty cool, though. I am not usually so focused while on pot. I usually try to be less focused, and more funny.