BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-18-2016, 03:23 AM

It could also be cortisol. You eat slightly below maintenance, but have long and intense cardio sessions. Your deficit is definitely there, but so is the stress. Those 2 don't go along together very well.
Unread 12-18-2016, 12:07 PM

What do you suggest?

It seems more likely that the added stress is from the only thing that's new, the resistance training. My body is not yet accustomed to it, unlike the 2 hr bike rides and hikes which I've been doing for over a year, and 7-10 hrs/wk of moderate intensity cardio on average. I'm hoping my body will adjust to the RT in the next week or so?

I've also looked up Lyle's writings on Cortisol related water retention and found this:
>http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...h-review.html/
>http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...fat-loss.html/
Quote:
In any case, dieting in general is a stress. And of course training is a stress. And the more extreme you do of each, the more of a stress occurs. And I suspect that a lot of what is going on when folks try to combine excessive caloric deficits with massive amounts of activity is that cortisol just goes through the roof.

....In any case, there are several different plausible mechanisms by which the combination of excessive caloric deficits an large amounts of activity can cause problems. Whether it’s simply cortisol related water retention, a drop in metabolic rate due to leptin resistance or something else, something is going on. From a more practical standpoint, for a lot of people, the combination simply doesn’t work.

......The simple facts for the majority of folks is this: you can either cut calories hard OR do large amounts of activity. But you can’t do both.
I'm already doing what he recommends, which is NOT doing both. 1850 cals for a woman my size is reasonably high. And going by the last 2 weeks' log, I've done 7-8.5 hrs of cardio/week, hardly massive by anyone's definition.

Another good article on cortisol was >https://legionathletics.com/water-retention/.

From what I've read so far, to mitigate cortisol related water retention, it seems I need to:
-Sleep better (my sleep has been VERY sketchy in the last 2 weeks)
-Drink more water and vitamin C (I'll do more fruit smoothies)
-Get more potassium (More leafy greens, beans, potatoes, fruits)
Unread 12-19-2016, 01:53 AM

I'm just saying that it's something to look out for. Everybody (literally) is different. There are people who seem to get away with everything, but there are also people who have to look at something and their body responds.

Additionally, your training alone may not necessarily raise your cortisol to a high degree, but add to it daily emotions, work, stress, nutrition deficiency, sleep quality, immune issues, ... and you have a recipe for disaster.

It's good to see that you're trying to address sleep issues, water consumption, vitamin C and electrolytes. I'm sure it'll help.
Unread 12-19-2016, 10:18 AM

Thanks, yeah I'll work on it this week and see what happens.
Unread 12-23-2016, 02:56 PM

Been really lazy this week and I've done zero exercise in 6 days. Mostly coz I was stressed over a job issue. I also overate a little (over 2000 cals/day) for several days but I've tried to compensate in the last 2 days and cut back.

2 things I overdid was sweets and also chicken thighs even though I don't usually eat much meat, or like to. Weirdly, people say meat is satiating but for me it actually drove me to eat more food, even after I was already full. Should have stuck with my usual routine.

My job stressor isn't over yet so I have to work hard this week and overcome the bummed state of mind and FORCE myself to exercise DAILY. I need to finish the year on a positive note.
Unread 12-25-2016, 10:09 PM

2 hrs cardio - cycling, p90x3
Unread 12-26-2016, 10:24 AM

1.75 hrs - cycling
Unread 12-26-2016, 01:54 PM

30 min - p90x3: Total Synergistics
2 hrs - Walking
Unread 01-01-2017, 10:05 AM

Yesterday-Dec 31
1.5 hrs - cycling+elliptical
1 session - BW training

I slacked off in the last week due to pms fatigue. Turns out some of the wt gain was pms related, I just got my timing wrong. I didn't stick to the plan in December so I'll call it a warm up and start fresh today.

The primary focus moving forward is consistency. I'll try and not be overly ambitious and keep things simple and manageable. The goal is to do a BW resistance workout, plus cardio, most days.

I'll try and undo the holiday damage this week and then get a new starting wt. I feel like I'm up a few more. If I'd been more active I'd have been ok. But no worries. Just focus on what I need to do today.

Consistency. Consistency. Consistency.

Last edited by Raquel130 : 01-01-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Unread 01-02-2017, 09:23 AM

For the first 2 weeks, I've decided to track intake more closely until I drop back down to 113 lbs.

I was going to log just calories daily but instead I'll go ahead and include list of foods and macros and also weight on a daily basis. If it becomes a pain, I'll revert to weekly.

Yesterday-Jan 1
-1150 cals
-Brown rice, small red beans, oat porridge with sugar.
-228g carbs, 41g protein, 10g fat
-36g fiber
-30 min elliptical at high resistance

Today's weight: 119.4 lbs (Gained 6 lbs in December)

Last edited by Raquel130 : 01-02-2017 at 09:38 AM.