BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-08-2018, 07:36 PM

Default Is it possible to keep all my muscle gained during obesity?

Hello,

Itís been a while. I am restarting this program after a long long break. I am a female, age 38, never played sports and never was active outside of the daily stuff. Iím 5í4 and now 329.4, as of today. My goal weight is 143.

Iíve always been physically weak and want to be stronger as I lose weight.

The question:

Is there a way to keep the muscle that was gained to support my obese body. I am sure that I gained muscle and bone density just to keep this weight on this little frame moving, walking, driving, etc.?

Please help if you can. All thoughts welcome.
Unread 05-08-2018, 09:02 PM

Read up Lyle’s articles on training the obese beginner. But short answer is no and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
Unread 05-08-2018, 09:21 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to answer and for pointing me to the correct articles.
Unread 05-09-2018, 07:38 AM

LightCrow, can you elaborate a little bit? I seem to remember Lyle saying that obese people would lose connective tissue and stuff that could be categorized as LBM, but that's not exactly the same thing as losing muscle. I have no idea about the bone density issue, though. I'd be curious to know more there.

OP, no matter what you do, you will get great results at the beginning. Don't sweat the small stuff. Since you've never done weight training, you will be surprised at the results you'll get after a couple of months.
Unread 05-09-2018, 09:30 PM

If you start a proper lifting program, and you've never lifted before, I wouldn't be surprised if your muscle mass increased while your fat decreased. You may lose LBM in the form of connective tissue, water, etc (mentioned above), but overall, you will be stronger and much more fit. Get on it! People in your situation see results the quickest. Good luck!
Unread 05-11-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
If you start a proper lifting program, and you've never lifted before, I wouldn't be surprised if your muscle mass increased while your fat decreased. You may lose LBM in the form of connective tissue, water, etc (mentioned above), but overall, you will be stronger and much more fit. Get on it! People in your situation see results the quickest. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the input!

Last edited by rapidfatlossmama2014 : 05-11-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Unread 05-29-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidfatlossmama2014 View Post
Thanks so much for the input!

Yeah a lot of that "muscle" is going to go away but it's not really the type of beach muscle you are thinking it is. A lot of that muscle is just making you bigger and making you appear fatter than you really are...

There's a difference between LBM that was stabilizing things and LBM built by years of proper weight training. But just think that's weight that will be EASY to lose. It will practically disappear on its own requiring much less effort than the pounds of fat you are shedding.

But for sure some of that strength will exist particularly in the legs. Mass moves mass. I would imagine a 300 lb woman probably has stronger legs than a 145 lb boy just beginning to strength train.

In the program where they help people get sober/clean they tell the story a lot about the boy who went to the old man and said "I wish I had your 20 years of clean time" and the old man looks back at him and says "I wish I could switch places with you to enjoy that 20 year journey again".

I lost 30 lbs last year. It felt absolutely amazing. Achieving the result was almost a letdown. Like wow it's over. What now... Don't focus too much on the result and try to appreciate the challenge/journey ahead of you.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 05-29-2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: a
Unread 06-25-2018, 10:29 PM
Banned

If you weight train,your legs might even get stronger and maybe stay a decent size muscular wise.Your calves will most likely stay toned regardless.
Can you do a full ROM squat with just body weight?
If you want to gauge,go to a gym and see how much you can leg press.
Then while losing weight,
keep that weight up by progressive overloading and actually adding to the weight. Many obese patients think they cant weight train heavy when in reality,
more LBM equals more fat loss.

Last edited by Wellshii : 06-25-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Unread 09-12-2018, 12:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to jordanbcool

You can keep the muscle you gained while getting fat and may gain a small amount if you're extremely obese and weren't very active prior. Absolutely.

The leaner you are the more impossible this becomes.

It depends on a variety of factors. Possible, yes. Hard, yes. It depends

"Every day above ground is a good day"
-Frank (Scarface)

Back to basics...