BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-09-2019, 04:01 PM

Default Recovery vs calorie burn in beginners

Hello.

After months without running, I began training around 2 hours daily of running some days ago, at low intensity to maximize calorie burn (from which I reach around 600 calorie burn only due to my low fitness level).

I know that rest is important for recovery. I read one day a week is enough, but I feel my muscles sore and my performance has actually been lowering since the first day. I thought of resting every other day but my calorie burn would be halved.

I was just curious about if more resting is needed for beginners. Would the improvement in endurance with resting be much superior?

Regards.
Unread 01-09-2019, 05:26 PM

You're going to destroy yourself with 2 hours of daily running unless you're already in very good shape. And judging by how many runners get injured, probably even if you're already in very good shape.

The fact that you're a beginner and your performance has actually been lowering since the first day should tell you all you need to know. Cut way back and do something sensible. Do one of the beginner 5k programs on Hal Higdon's site or Runners World, or maybe something a little more advanced if those are way too easy.

Get your diet sorted out so you don't have to resort to extreme measures.. meaning this and your other thread.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 01-09-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Unread 01-10-2019, 06:16 AM

I 2nd his advice.... if you're bent on running you need to drastically reduce the volume and build up to longer runs...

if you're bent on lengthy cardio sessions you can look into walking or perhaps a recumbent bike at the gym... you need way less intensity if you're doing that type of volume

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 01-12-2019, 08:13 PM

Agree with PPs.

No need to beat yourself up that much.

It would be a lot easier on you to just eat a little less (100 - 200 calories), walk for LISS and then sub in some higher intensity activity for an hour when you can. Rowing or a spin class both can burn a good bit.

ETA: Of course if you just like running then do that...other things are easier on the joints is all.
Unread 01-13-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
walk for LISS
What is LISS?
Unread 01-13-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenty View Post
What is LISS?
Low Intensity Steady State cardio. ie brisk walking. Good for recovery and burning calories without affecting gainzz