BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-29-2008, 07:38 PM

Question Ketogenic Diet and Tennis

Is tennis mostly aerobic or anaerobic?

I read an article that low-carb, high protein diet is perfect for gymnasts because gymnastics is mostly anaerobic (where swimming is mostly aerobic so high carb diet would work better for swimmers, etc).

See article here: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5317716/

Anyways I've tried quite a few diets in the past and now I believe I function best on low carb (with most fat loss) so I'm gonna go with long term low carb diet this time. However, I've just started training for competitive tennis and I don't want my training to suffer.

Well I know my tennis performance will probably suffer a little (probably won't be able to hit as hard, especially serve?) but I noticed that in the past, when I was in ketosis I focus MUCH BETTER during a match, which actually works to my advantage.

Anyone got any tips/thoughts/experiences on ketogenic diet and tennis training? Should I do SKD or TKD?
Unread 10-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

tennis is a bit strange. individual points/volleys are very short and mostly anaerobic, I believe they average something like 10-20 seconds or something

overall, there will be some aspect of overall work capacity/aerobic conditioning to get through the length of the match

but that probably only really applies if yo'ure playing for hours or is a concern

keto diet probably won't be a problem, might consider a dilute carb solution during the game (basiclaly a TKD light) if you find yourself running out of gas